Wow, really amazing feedback from you all on the grinders! I think something that makes the whole grinder decision process so much harder, is the availability of them...almost all the ones I want or have been looking at, range from earliest being available in mid May, and one is not available until Nov 2021!

If the Niche Zero was on sale somewhere today to buy I would buy it now and use it for 6 months and see if I felt the need to upgrade...right now I'm looking at the Eureka Mignon Specialita as a stop gap solution as it's available for shipping tomorrow here in Romania, and then I will use that to single dose until I can get something more in line with what I want. 

@decent_espressoI was wondering regarding water, what size bottles do you recommend for the ikea cart, and what kind of water should I be looking for? I seem to remember somewhere in one of your threads here or on coffee snobs/HB, that you recommended volvic to avoid calcification? The water quality where I live isn't great so I use a Berkey to filter the faucet water, but it doesn't soften water at all, just makes it safe to drink and it is very hard water.

There is a bottled water available here called Bucovina that seems to be fairly soft, would you recommend I just take the levels of sodium/Calcium etc in Volvic and compare them to the available water here? My Sage Dual Boiler has gotten pretty gunked up with  calcium here and I hate to do the same to the Decent. 

My other question is that I want to order this week the cart kit/bundle to go with the BROR bench I ordered, I see that the black drip tray for plumbing in, is available now, but the white one is shipping in 5-6 weeks...with it being a White DE1XXL that will be countersunk is the black actually seen anywhere? I'd prefer not to wait 5 weeks for the white tray if the black won't really be seen anywhere apart from when I pull it out for cleaning or something. 

Sorry for all the questions! if there is a better place to post them or you prefer DM for questions like these please let me know, hate to distract from your updates... 

• Like 1
  • Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One more thing -- what kills companies most often is money.  So, let me address that separately: We've only ever been self-funded, with money from me, my girlfriend and her mum. As of Januar

The serviceability question is totally fair, and I've tried to reassure people as much as I can, with a set of decision. How do I get parts?  All our parts are available to anyone, not just autho

I was a bit upset today, when I went to pick up our mail at our PO box. Of 7 packages received, 6 were product returns.  We rarely get returns, maybe 1 a month.  WTF?FYI : we're going through logistic

Posted Images

I am using the Specialita with the DE1.  It’s not for single dosing and it will be ok as an interim grinder I quickly decided to get the best out of the machine I would need to upgrade.  I have an Ultra on order

why not try a hand grinder like the JX pro.  I use mine with the Decent and it’s probably better than the Specialita especially if you want to single dose

12 hours ago, pipedreams86 said:

I was wondering regarding water, what size bottles do you recommend for the ikea cart, and what kind of water should I be looking for? I seem to remember somewhere in one of your threads here or on coffee snobs/HB, that you recommended volvic to avoid calcification? The water quality where I live isn't great so I use a Berkey to filter the faucet water, but it doesn't soften water at all, just makes it safe to drink and it is very hard water.

In Europe, VOLVIC is available and is a great choice for espresso.  

I use the 8L version.  The only really annoying thing is their anti-refill tap makes it impossible to get a tube down it.  So, I use a steak knife and slice it right off.

volvic_slice.thumb.jpg.185e5431e274ea74e1c95a574b27ed3a.jpg

12 hours ago, pipedreams86 said:

My other question is that I want to order this week the cart kit/bundle to go with the BROR bench I ordered, I see that the black drip tray for plumbing in, is available now, but the white one is shipping in 5-6 weeks...with it being a White DE1XXL that will be countersunk is the black actually seen anywhere? I'd prefer not to wait 5 weeks for the white tray if the black won't really be seen anywhere apart from when I pull it out for cleaning or something. 

You understood correctly. Since you're countersunk, you won't see the black drip tray.  That's actually why we hadn't bothered to make a white draining drip tray until recently, since most people had been countersinking their DE1XL.  But nowadays, more people are putting that model on their countertop, so we ordered white ceramics.

11 hours ago, Mark70 said:

I am using the Specialita with the DE1.  It’s not for single dosing and it will be ok as an interim grinder I quickly decided to get the best out of the machine I would need to upgrade.  I have an Ultra on order

why not try a hand grinder like the JX pro.  I use mine with the Decent and it’s probably better than the Specialita especially if you want to single dose

That's good advice, because then when you get a "proper" grinder, you'll have something useful remaining, instead of a mediocre grinder you'll need to sell.

DE1XXL: WTF? Video

Steve's Stockman's great book "How to Shoot Video That Doesn't Suck" https://www.stevestockman.com/the-book/ starts with an important lesson: if your video doesn't entertain, it won't be watched. https://www.stevestockman.com/the-book/

As a coder who's been put in front of the camera in order to make Decent Espresso a success, I keenly feel my lack of talent in that department. My videos tend to be information-heavy, intense, but usually.... dull.  Having an exciting product has helped, but I don't have the talent to talk alone, straight to the camera, in an engaging way.

A few months ago I hired standup-comedian and home barista Mohammed Magdi https://www.mohammedmagdi.com/

He's been in many videos, and he's definitely entertaining:

In this recent DE1XXL video, I gave Mohammed a free hand to be funnier: he told me he'd been restraining himself in the previous ones.  And I got what I asked for.  Within 40 seconds, he comes out with a funny joke about racism that took me a few seconds to recover from.

While Mohammed was great in this video, I took his energy and tried to match it, but in my lesser skills hands, I go a bit manic, waving my hands around a lot and talking too much.  

I was planning on redoing this video with less caffeine in my system and a bit more experience under my belt. But .... I don't know when time will permit, so I'm going to release this video in all its manic glory, and would love to hear what you think about it. 

Mohammed and I made another video shortly after this one, about the Decent Puck Rake.  I feel like we struck a better entertainment/informational balance with this one: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rbGacXgsRU

-john

So Volvic seems like the best option for water, the only thing is I can only find it here in Romania in 500ml bottles...I wonder if it would it be worth using those and taking the time to decant them into bigger bottles? Or I wonder if I can get it imported from Hungary or other countries near us...

18 minutes ago, pipedreams86 said:

So Volvic seems like the best option for water, the only thing is I can only find it here in Romania in 500ml bottles...I wonder if it would it be worth using those and taking the time to decant them into bigger bottles? Or I wonder if I can get it imported from Hungary or other countries near us...

Does your supermarket offer on-site filtered water, with your bringing in your own bottles?  That's a very eco solution, and lower cost.

46 minutes ago, decent_espresso said:

Does your supermarket offer on-site filtered water, with your bringing in your own bottles?  That's a very eco solution, and lower cost.

That's a good idea I'll have to make some enquiries. I saw people in the UK were suggesting Volvic also, along with Ashbeck water from Tesco and when I compared the levels of those waters compared to the Bucovina water I can get easily here the levels seemed similar so I may have to take a risk on that.

It's a shame as I invested in the Berkey water filtration system so as to avoid buying plastic water bottles continually as I hate the environmental issues with that and also having to lug them around from the store etc...but my Sage Dual Boiler machine has become so gunked up with calcium deposits from using the water from my Berkey that I really don't think I should put that in my Decent when it comes. I may also look into adding a second step to my filtering, by filtering for softness just for espresso making water. 

1 hour ago, pipedreams86 said:

I use a Zero water filter and blend it with tap water to bring the calcium levels to where I want it to be. In fact it goes through a BWT filter first as it’s so hard.  

my first filter has lasted 3 months snd is still going strong.  Worth considering 

6 hours ago, Mark70 said:

I use a Zero water filter and blend it with tap water to bring the calcium levels to where I want it to be. In fact it goes through a BWT filter first as it’s so hard.  

my first filter has lasted 3 months snd is still going strong.  Worth considering 

Thanks @Mark70 I saw the Zero water filters advertised and always wondered how well they worked for softening the water...I will take a closer look at them. Have you noticed much if any limescale buildup on your appliances since using this combination?

I have been comparing the composition of Volvic, and the Bucovina water that I can get easily here, and from what I can see they seem to be fairly comparable?

If anything the Bucovina is a bit better on some of those levels...if you all think this might be safe to use with the Decent it would be awesome as I can get it in 5 litre bottles in a store 2 mins up the road from where we live.

Bucovina (mg/l):
Calcium: 9.85
Sodium: 2.84
Sulphates: 5.89
Magnesium: 2.55
Potassium: 1.18
Fluoride: 0.048
Chlorides: 3.55
Hidrogen Carbonate: 48.8
Nitrates: 5.01
Dry Residue: 180C: 78mg/l
pH: 7.7

Volvic (mg/l):
Calcium: 12
Sodium: 12
Sulphates: 9
Magnesium: 8
Bicarbonates: 74
Potassium: 6
Silica: 32
Chlorides: 15
Nitrates: 7.3
Dry Residue: 180C: 130mg/l
pH: 7

45 minutes ago, pipedreams86 said:

Thanks @Mark70 I saw the Zero water filters advertised and always wondered how well they worked for softening the water...I will take a closer look at them. Have you noticed much if any limescale buildup on your appliances since using this combination?

Zero water strips all the calcium out.  To make it drinkable you need to remineralise which I do by mixing with my hard tap Water.  I do not have a problem with limescale this way 

8 hours ago, Mark70 said:

Zero water strips all the calcium out.  To make it drinkable you need to remineralise which I do by mixing with my hard tap Water.  I do not have a problem with limescale this way 

I would much prefer no addition of tap water, and no calcium at all in your water.  Calcium will always precipitate when steam is made, no matter what espresso machine you have. It later needs to be removed.

A very inexpensive solution is to buy "zero water" (purified water) and remineralize it according to the Scott Rao or Matt Perger recipes:

https://www.baristahustle.com/blog/diy-water-recipes-redux/

This will produce really excellent water-for-coffee that will never precipitate in your espresso machine.

------

Recipe 4 – Barista Hustle Water Recipe

• 40.1g Buffer
  • 80.7g Mg
  • 879.2g DI water

The original Barista Hustle water recipe — where it all began. Add an extra 4.3g of the Mg concentrate and you’re at the top limit of the SCA specifications.

Recipe 5 – Rao Water

• 50.1g Buffer
  • 75.7g Mg
  • 874.2g DI water

This is close to Scott Rao’s recommended water chemistry for brewing flavourful, balanced coffee. Slightly higher than the SCA in both total hardness and buffer, with a little more buffer than the BH recipe.

• Like 1

black_1b.thumb.jpg.ca5f1295eca8af5cd58caa48267bd3ce.jpgwhite_1b.thumb.jpg.8966e68a02ebad6b30510fe94b3a6eae.jpgblack2b.thumb.jpg.cba59a0c6df1cecebd6d20f77c47375f.jpg

Cup rail design v2

As I mentioned in my previous post about the "cup rail design project", we had some worries that the previous design, though pretty, would not stay level and would have "wire bounce" problems.

Decent designer Joao Tomaz came up with a new design that doesn't have the mechanical problems of the previous design.  

This new design also has the advantage of being totally independent of the tablet stand. That means it won't require people to change their tablet stand to put a cup rail enabled version on it, which is a big win.  Another nicety of this design is that it is quickly removed for travel.  It is as well physically compatible with all DE1 versions, though we would need to make a version for the  DE1+/DE1PRO and a longer one for the DE1XL/XXL models.

However, I don't find it as beautiful as the previous design.  But, it's likely to actually work, so that's a nice benefit.

There's also the question of whether we should make 1 color (chrome) or do we need a black wire version as well?  I've included renders of both.

Would love your feedback.

-john

liquido.jpg.fa26dd05b8132fd97c7a79c34b90ae57.jpg

New from Decent : the Espresso Tap 1

We’re super excited to launch our new flagship model: the Decent Espresso Tap 1. Shipping in two weeks! Hopefully, maybe!

We learned from our customers that that they value speed, silent working and ease of use, far more than quality, and we've listened!   

The DETAP1 delivers espresso on tap.  Our DETAP1 model come with a 3 liter container of the highest quality premade espresso, from 50% arabica dark roasted-in-Italy beans. 

"This by far the simplest, most reliable, fastest-to-warmup model that we could imagine" said Decent cofounder John Buckman.  "By removing all sources of operator error, such as beans, grinding, extraction, freshness, water, or skill, we are able to deliver you 100% perfectly consistent espresso" he added, speaking on condition of anonymity. 

The DE1TAP1 features a patented SureToLockYouIn™ DRM locking coffee seal, so that only certified premade-by-Decent-Espresso coffee can be used. For your protection (and those of your children) it cannot be refilled by you. 

The best part? The DE1TAP1 comes with a 2 year premade coffee subscription, and refills can only be purchased online from our web site.  A Wifi connection is required so that each drink can be digitally certified coming from us.  

With this innovation, we were able to take your morning coffee experience to the next level by removing all margins of human or machine error: no tablet, no water tank, no grinder and no electricity needed.  Just plug in your SureToLockYouIn™ premade espresso tank, and dispense as needed.

Only the finest coffee (and coffee-like flavors) is used. 

INGREDIENTS: Colombian brewed coffee (filtered water, coffee), sugar, maltodextrin, chicory root fiber, cellulose gel, cocoa (processed with alkali), sodium hydroxide, natural and artificial flavor, cellulose gum, caffeine anhydrous, carrageenan, ascorbic acid, vitamin E dl alpha tocopheryl, vitamin A palmitate.

It’s gluten free!

• Like 4

the the option with water is potassium bicarbonate Dr. Pavlis made a recipie that will never scale used with rodi water(zero water)

Way too early for this sh...