Just published yesterday a video showing how to unbox and setup the DE1XL.

Saturday night, I was on chat with new customer Edmond in Singapore, because he new DE1XL wasn't getting past the startup tests, and his pump was making an awful noise. Just as if it had no water.  I hadn't yet uploaded this video, so Edmond had set the machine up without any instruction.   Well, after 30 minutes of trouble shooting, it occured to me that he wasn't taking the back panel off and lifting the water intake tube out of the way.  So... yeah, the machine really was "sucking air" and had no water.  

I wish I could have finished this 24 hours earlier, and I could have saved Edmond and I a bit of stress!  Hopefully this video will also help others from making this simple (but important) mistake, and they can get making espresso a bit faster.

-john

• Like 1
  • Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One more thing -- what kills companies most often is money.  So, let me address that separately: We've only ever been self-funded, with money from me, my girlfriend and her mum. As of Januar

The serviceability question is totally fair, and I've tried to reassure people as much as I can, with a set of decision. How do I get parts?  All our parts are available to anyone, not just autho

It’s awesome! First shot blew me away so I can’t wait to see whet it can do.

Posted Images

p2.thumb.jpg.1c7e2695955cae0bc0f5a220ea448b8e.jpgp1.thumb.jpg.20465572a081f4e1bdb53e7e12e7c9f6.jpg

Decent Parts photos

My new assistant Ihti has been working through the DE1 "bill of materials" https://decentespresso.com/parts and is going through each main assembly (from the top), redoing or filling in photos as needed.  My goal is to have really clear, high resolution, well lit photos of every part we use at Decent Espresso.

One change in how we're taking photos is that for cables, we're winding them up so that you get more detail, and whenever possible, the ends of the cables are facing the camera, as the ends are most interesting bits.

Only the first two main assemblies are done so far, but Ihti has now found a good way to take most photos (lighting, framing), so it's going faster.

Because the photos are looking really good, we'll be replacing a lot of the renders on the site, with real photos.

Ben Champion has helped too since he was previously a professional photographer.

Examples:
https://decentespresso.com/parts?filter=DE-ACBOARD110V_R1-13040
https://decentespresso.com/parts?filter=DE-COMPLETECHASSIS_R3-13021

For those who are interested, we're taking these photos inside a light box, on a light table. The light table was really key in getting rid of excessive shadows under the objects.  Naturally, there's a bit of photoshop afterwards to completely mask out the lightbox background, but when the photo is well shot, it's remarkable how little post processing work there is to do.

l1.thumb.jpg.89aa688375253f2c7fc112d9cb7ff5db.jpg

Day 7: first time building 50 espresso machines at once

I'm very proud of my Hong Kong team, for managing to build 50 machines in 8 days. We're on day 7 and set to finish these tomorrow.  This is 60% faster than we've ever built machines before. We just started with a brand new system where they work in teams of two. One is the "master" of a single object and task, and the other is their apprentice.  On the right hand side, you can see another team preparing 50 chassis so that we can start building another 50 machines on the second assembly line, just as soon as we finish the first.

• Like 4

Sticky stuff: new Japanese adhesive

We recently received a batch of counterfeit 3M double-sided adhesive tape, of inferior quality.  Turns out we bought it from an authorized 3M reseller.  We've decided to move to Japanese-made Nitto Adhesive, as the stuff is incredibly high quality, we can buy it directly from the manufacturer, and they delivered us samples cut to our specs within 24 hours.  Impressive.

https://www.nitto.com/us/en/rd/base/adhesive/specificat/

Some recent customers received DE1XL machines with the inferior adhesive, and we'll be sending them "this good stuff" shortly, when we get our large order with them in stock.

-john

little_delays3.thumb.jpg.8489c919aa6fc7d3199274db211aa3bd.jpg

Daily little challenges

Every week seems to bring one or two "stop the factory" moments.  

Two weeks ago, there were four of them in one day. I had a stiff cocktail that night.

Two of those were resolved that week, one today, and I hope to have the last one solved next week.  

Some of these issues are caused by COVID, but mostly it's simply the difficulty of the task we're trying to accomplish: small production of a high quality, high tech, hand-made device.

I'd like to share one such with you.

We use a thin piece of fiberglass to thermally isolate the hot group head parts from the cool group head parts (arrow pointing to it on top left photo).  

Dividing the group head into two thermal zones is one of our "secrets" (whoops!) for how we're able to go from "cold" to "perfect temperature" in 4.5 minutes.

This thin piece of fiberglass also serves to define the point at which a portafilter stops and feels locked, when you put it into the group head.  Small thickness changes have a big effect.

Ten days ago, we received 1000 pieces of this fiberglass spacer, and they were all about 0.2mm too thick. The result: the portafilters lock too far in (bottom left photo).  

The portafilter is supposed to lock at a point that is symmetric to the group head handle opposite it (bottom right photo).  I won't ship a machine out unless those two handles are symmetric. 

Our PCB manufacturer visited us the next day, but they couldn't fix this super fast, as it's a problem with their raw PCB stock.  

So, we ordered URGENT 24 hour delivery from PCBWay, at about $1.50 each, 50 pieces, for that weeks' run of machines.  They were perfect (within 0.02mm), and so we ordered "less urgent" (7 days) replacements.  

On Friday, I told my staff that they could have Saturday off, because we couldn't build any more machines.  We didn't have the spacers yet, and we'd built as far as we could without putting the group head in.

Saturday morning, Bugs and I are working in the empty factory.  Delivery: 1000 (hopefully perfect) spacers.

Thanks to this delivery, on monday, we're can finish the 50 espresso machines that are now 60% completed.  

And we're unblocked until the next emergency.

Which (foreshadowing a bit) is that our stock is down to seven Android tablets, due to LCD screen shortages causing our Android tablet manufacturer to delay by 120 days.  All this week we've been evaluating off-the-shelf Android tablets that can hold us through this shortage.  These are way more expensive for us, but they're nicer tablets for customers IPS screens, instead of LCD, for instance) but we have no choice.  I'll be hopefully making a social media post about that change in a few days.

-john

• Like 1

Announcing The Decent v1.4 Showroom

As we make espresso machines, we add them to our online showroom. We then invite customers (in the order they bought) into the showroom to pick their machine.  

As these are all handmade, there will always been some compromise as each machine falls short of "perfection".  You can choose which machine best suits you. If none pleases, you are now in the showroom and will get to see newly made machines before anyone else who came after you, so you can grab the machine that pleases you.

Each machine also has a 5 minute video showing all functionality being tested

We include its actual test record, as well as a 360º walk around so you can see the machine from all sides.

For example, there were 11 DE1XL White v1.4 220V machines available, and so today I invited 11 from the front of the queue https://decentespresso.com/queue who had bought that model. 

We just finished building 50 v1.4 machines at 220V (20 DE1XL black and 30 DE1PRO), and those customers will be emailed in their queue order, to pick their machine.  On wednesday we'll finish our first batch of DE1PRO 110V machines and start testing them.

This is a new system I've developed, launched today, to match machines up with buyers.  Previously we offered one machine a time, via personal email, and this was taking too much time. Machines were backing up here in the warehouse.

The Showroom is for full priced, already-purchased machines, and only v1.4.  Any machine that is discounted, will be listed on the Bazaar, where about 700 people will be notified and someone can choose to buy it.

As we're increasing our speed of production, my hope is to get to a point where there is no waiting for a machine from us. If that day comes, I'd still like to use the Showroom, and let potential buyers see what we have available, and ask questions.

-john

• Like 2

sci_smorg1.thumb.jpg.a67d634ad0bb2a05f95eb303b7cc5c19.jpg

SMORG first look: feedback wanted

Back in March March I mentioned new Decent hire Omri Almagor. Omri had previously worked for Kees van der Westen, where he created the Idromatic group head option.   I've occasionally mentioned that he was working on a sculptural Decent.

I expect that the design above will be hated by most.  That's OK, because like Tesla Cybertruck, it's meant to be bold, an likely offensive to many.  Most will hate it, some will love it. We hope!

I call this iteration "SCI SMORG" as the inspiration is Omri's love for science fiction ships, specifically the Star Trek Romulan warbird, to which SCI SMORG is his homage.

warbird.jpg.a1eca376fc891b0d70931ef9a8cb3292.jpg

Here are more views of SCI SMORG:

sci_smorg.thumb.jpg.4c8cb864f771265809ef8e88b29d882c.jpg

This outer casing replaces the DE1 case, but otherwise the inside remains a DE1. It's made of polished metal, using 3D printing in Germany, and then polished.

The tablet will be placed on the side, with a "Baby SMORG" case that then sits on the tabletop, next to the espresso machine.

Yes, I realize this is a flat out crazy design.

Omri and I have also explored a different direction, which we call "Golden Era Smorg". Here is what that looks like.  

1667743388_goldenerasmorg.jpg.b2d3e47b59ac2382a24e56df85c1a913.jpg

Omri and I would both love your thoughts on the this.

Note that our plan is to make SMORG as a special limited edition.  We're "testing the waters" for whether there is an interest in a boldly designed Decent.

And of course we'll continue to make "modernist" style DE1 as our main product line.

-john

Decent working with Weber Workshops

I've long admired Douglas Weber's many products, from the EG-1 grinder that I own, the HG-1 grinder that I've used, the steam dial.  Even the stuff he makes that I don't like, I still admire because it's always bold, inventive, and high quality.  

From when we started Decent, I'd hoped Decent could be seen as the other highly-creative company in espresso.

So it was with great pleasure to get a Whatsapp from Douglas Weber some weeks ago. We chatted for about 2 hours, and talked about ways we could work together.  It was fascinating to find how many stories and viewpoints we shared.

Today Douglas announced https://www.instagram.com/weberworkshops/ a Decent adaptor for his Steam Dial tip:

dialdecent.thumb.jpg.0a2b58bec04c47b3f3f333c3e93c258b.jpg

I have used the steam dial, years ago, on the two group E61 I owned.  I loved it. Sadly, the threads were incompatible with the Decent, until now.

Also, a few weeks ago he announced that he'd tested his new Spring Clean https://weberworkshops.com/products/spring-clean product on the DE1 he owns and can confirm it works well with Decent espresso machines.

springclean.thumb.jpg.b6714eba7cc4b2e9e68cc03c98723494.jpg

As our working together is based on mutual admiration and similar philosophies, I'm looking forward to see what we can do together, in the future.

-john

• Like 2

Why no 3 way valve?

During the first few years we started making the Decent Espresso Machine, I would often hear criticism that the Decent "lacked" a 3 way valve and thus did not flush properly at the end of espresso.

I patiently repeated my answer that this was not a lack at all, but a decision we made because it seemed to us that using the same tube from the water heater to the group, both for clean water in (to make espresso) and dirty water out (to release pressure) was a bad idea.

All espresso machines (that I know of) before Decent did this "backflush". We thought that coffee oils would likely build up in that tube, go rancid, and slowly degrade the quality of future coffee.

But our position was alone. Nobody else backed us up or agreed with it.

And people usually didn't believe my explanation, likely because we were the only ones (it seemed) arguing this position. I think people thought I was trying to do "marketing spin" on a "problem with the product" instead of perhaps, maybe having a valid point.

Until I read James Hoffman's "Best of 11 years' writing" book https://decentespresso.com/books where I found out that he'd explicitly called this out as a common source of bad tasting espresso, and thus how important it was to clean this part on conventional espresso machines.  

jimseven_480.jpg.80c7dd1c8012dc312b9415f8efa62b7b.jpg

James wrote this 4 years before we even started designing the Decent!  I wish he'd published this book earlier. 

Here's the relevant quote from his book:

hoff1.thumb.jpg.662d74673f1819b7b0aff5e95ce0145b.jpg

With the Decent, we release pressure through a separate tube that only ever is used for dirty water. The clean-water-in path holds its its pressure at the end of espresso, forcing water out this path.

Here is a photo of the inside of the group head on a Decent:

IMG_2743.thumb.jpeg.23ac607742c754037cda715529758f06.jpeg

The brown tube brings water in (brown=making nice coffee) and the black tube on the right (black=dirty) flushes it away. 

We call this approach "forward flush" to oppose it to "backflushing"

It's been a few years since I've heard the "why don't you flush like a normal machine" criticism but I think it's still not commonly known that this common design feature of traditional machines is not great.

This topic came up yesterday, because part of the goal of Weber Workshops new Spring Clean https://weberworkshops.com/products/spring-clean product is to clean this "backflush tube". Decent owners were asking whether it was worth buying Spring Clean, given that we don't have this same cleaning problem as traditional machines.  I don't know yet, but I'll be getting a Spring Clean myself soon, for testing, and will report back what I find, about the job it does on a Decent.

-john

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What we learned by delaying v1.4 for ten days

We finished building our first 50 v1.4 machines in early September, about a month ahead of schedule.  

During our temperature accuracy test, we found that about 30% of the machines were not acting as they should, with water temperature about 2ºC above the goal temperature.

tempoff.jpeg.8fac09e5f442047c3b456048d186d61f.jpeg

All 50 machines were identical, so what could be the problem?

We tried a variety of theories. 
- Maybe the flow constrictors were mis-mounted? 
- Maybe the temperature probes were of varying quality?
- Maybe the pumps were defective?
- None of our theories were right.

So, we proceeded to take 1 part at a time out of a "good" machine, and replace it in the "bad" machine, until the problem re-appeared.

The problem finally re-appeared when we replaced the section where "water mixing" happens. That's where 110ºC superheated water meets room temperature water, at varying flow rates, so that we can give you the exact water temperature you want.

So then we started taking the "bad" parts apart, and measuring everything. We couldn't find any difference between the "good" and "bad" part.

After 4 days of delays, I decided to put all 50 machines aside, and start building another 50.   I then assigned 3 engineers onto the problem full time here in Hong Kong, while Ray (Seattle) and Ben (Australia) also worked on this issue remotely.

We eventually figured out that no component was defective. The problem was a temperature sensor we'd moved.

newold.thumb.jpg.e4e14c860ad83f6c21359015cab0204a.jpg

We had moved the temperature sensor closer to the point where the water mixing happens.   The new position gave us slightly faster sensor feedback. We'd been testing this for almost a year with no problems, so why does it not work now?

We finally figured it out.

The new temperature probe location is right where the hot and cold water mix.  

It turns out that teeny tiny changes in the angle of water flowing into this mixing chamber, caused big changes in how well, and how evenly, the two different water flows mixed.  

With slight differences in angle, the new temperature probe location was measuring ever so slightly more cold water than would eventually be in the final mix.  And therefore our mathematics were compensating for that cooler water by putting warmer water in. Which then gave us 2ºC hotter water, when finally measured at the coffee puck.

The bright yellow and green water tube in the upper right part of the photo, is carrying mixed water to the "old position" temperature sensor.  That tube is only 1.2mm wide. There's not much water in there.

It turns out that squeezing the mixed water from the chamber, through the tube and back into a chamber, causes the water to be thoroughly and evenly mixed. Measuring the water temperature earlier gave use readings that still had hot and cold eddies flowing around.

Once we figured this out, we moved the temperature probe back to the old position, and all our machines now worked as expected.  

The exercise, though stressful, was quite worthwhile. We learned something new about measuring water temperature, and mixing, and eddies.  

In our latest firmware (about to be released), insights from these ten days have led to revisions to our mathematics, and specifically we now are able to stabilize our coffee puck temperature significantly better, with very slow "thick" shots that have very little added water through them.  This has been a case where we typically ran about 1ºC too cool at the end of the shot, and we'd not been able to understand why.  Our better understanding of water mixing dynamics has helped Ray to crack that problem.

We've never before achieved this level of "measured at the puck" temperature accuracy, with such slow shots (in my test, a 38 second espresso). 

Note how, in the photo, the puck temperature is only 2ºC too cool at the start, thanks to our slight 2ºC over-temperature bump for the first 2 seconds.  Traditional machines typically start 6ºC to 8ºC cooler than the goal, because the puck is at room temperature.  And then the rest of the shot manages to stay with 0.3ºC at the coffee puck, during the entire shot.  I'm happy!

slowshot.thumb.jpeg.4d08f03e1b0e0dffa455ba0ba73242d8.jpeg

• Like 2

backlog_new.thumb.jpg.d47ce4a9a449064c1881ac7c9adf48ec.jpg

A new way of addressing the Decent backlog

If you've been watching our order queue https://decentespresso.com/queue you might have noticed two things:

1) the queue has been getting longer
2) the order of the queue is a thorough mix of different models and voltages

We've been sloooowly improving our speed of making machines, from 17/week in January, to 23/week in August.  Progress has been too slow.

I've been removing complexity everywhere I can find it, in an effort to speed things up.

In the past, we've done "mixed runs" of different models and voltages. No more. That slowed us down.

Now, each week, we build 50 of whatever model has the most number of backlogged orders.  You can see that list on the bottom right of the photo.  

Even though we have 270+ orders backlogged, this is spread over quite a few models.  One effect of this "one model only" change is that we will, at times, have built more machines of that model than have orders. Wow, stock-at-hand of Decent machines! That would be nice.

I wrote recently that I switched to a "master" system, where we build 50 machines at once, and there's an employee who is designated the "master" of a sub-assembly. The build it, test it, install it, and train their apprentice.  That way, they know what to do, every day.  No need to micromanage.

My idea was that as we've completely build 50 machines, we'd move to the 2nd assembly table, where we'd start building another 50 while the previous ones were tested.  

That basic idea worked well enough.  We were able to build 50 machines in 8 days, or 150 machines/month, assuming a 6 day workweek.

We ended up modifying that idea, though, because I managed to speed up testing quite a bit with new software and test equipment, so that it now takes 4 days for two people to test and calibrate 50 machines.  That means the assembly line is free on day 5.  And it turns out that at around when the 50 machines are 60% built, we have the staff available to start building the next round of 50 machines.  This "overlapping build cycles" tweak, this has allowed us to build 50 machines in 6 days.  

With a 6 day workweek, that's 200 espresso machines/month.  Now, we're finally getting somewhere! At that pace, we can make 44 machines more than were sold (we sold 156 espresso machines last month) and so make progress at the backlog.   Previously, sales were growing so much faster than our speed of building, that we were getting progressively further behind.

I don't know that we're going to succeed, but my hope is be totally up to date with our backlog by the time Christmas comes along, so I can give my employees a well deserved break and maybe a bit of a Christmas present as well.  

And ideally, every client who ordered would have received their machine by then.  

I might be dreaming, but it's good to have goals!

What can slow us down is if we don't have enough time to get the "sub assemblies" done in order to keep up this pace.  Small problems, like the recent "group head handle position" problem, lost us a day and a half (not too bad) and slow us down.

-john

• Like 2

White DE1XL models finally shipped

We're finally able to ship 21 of white DE1XL models yesterday and today.  Parts shortages have delayed this model.  Or to be more specific: we've been having trouble getting white powder coat painting done at the quality we require.  

But happily we were able to ship 21 machines of the current 28 orders we have in the queue of this model.
decentshipping.thumb.jpeg.d4215457a625e7bf3643bce0731f2053.jpeg

Sadly, these machines are all we can ship for now, as we've left the company that was doing the white painting for us.  We ordered these chassis back in April (!) and we've been failing a little bit more than half of them during our quality control checks.  I think the problem is that this company lost its best employees during the COVID-induced factory shutdown.  

New white chassis, from the company that now does our black powder coat, should arrive in late December.  The quality of their black powder coat has been fantastic, so we're hoping to solve this supply problem with white parts, once and for all.  The problem with white is that it shows all defects, so it's very difficult to do at a very high quality level.

Dan Counsell is one of the lucky few who got one of these models.  He yesterday posted this video of his new DE1XL (he traded in his v1.1 DE1XL for the latest model) and his routine.

Note the monolith grinder, and the smoothly working integration with the Acaia scale thanks to Johanna Amélie Schander.

• Like 1

peter_2.thumb.jpg.901e347aa93d3cd1200ffaf0a4d5678c.jpg

There's something about Peter

Another Decent customer named Peter was inspired by "the other Peter" having offered the Decent HK staff a lovely meal https://www.instagram.com/p/CEtgColA0sO/ thanks to Peter and wanted to do the same.

So, last week we enjoyed the best "moon cakes" that money can buy, thanks to a generous gift from  Peter Neelands Peter .

Actually, we had an assortment of different styles from different places, from traditional to ice-cream-moon-cake (best for Westerners like me). After the mooncakes last wednesday we left the staff go home early and enjoy their 4 day weekend holiday.  The good weather held until monday, when it started raining again.  Apparently, it usually rains during the "mid autumn festival" so we were lucky.

Thanks again to the two Peters for filling our bellies with joy, but more importantly, making us feel really lucky to have such customers and community around us.

-john

• Like 1

zoom_english_q.jpg.e5b3b1fb3ea9580cbfabce0d869a96d1.jpg

Future Decent Zoom calls

I've been doing fewer Decent zoom calls since moving to Hong Kong two months ago, because:
- on weekends we've all been working, building machines. The factory has been noisy, and I also I have needed to focus on helping everyone build.
- I don't work/live at home any more
- And we've actually started taking weekends off.
- But I'd happily start doing them again, as long as I can schedule them for a weekday.

Here are two times I'm thinking of:
- 6pm Pacific USA time (9pm Eastern USA) (9am HK time)
and
- 7pm Melbourne time/9am Berlin time (4pm HK time)

Is Friday good for people?  If not, what day is best? The only day I can't do is Monday, as that's the busiest day.

There's a Typhoon warning in HK today, so the office is dead quiet. We live in a hotel nearby, so we were able to walk to work, but public transportation is closed.

-john

zoom_english.jpg.1b2de05d9b4cb15e996b1670c743350f.jpg

Zoom call on Thursday: Inside the DE1

John Buckman is inviting you to a scheduled Decent/Zoom meeting.

Topic: Inside the DE1
- Oct 15 - 6:00 PM Pacific USA 
- Oct 15 - 9:00 PM Eastern USA
- Oct 15 - 11:00 AM Melbourne Australia Time 

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84943846243?pwd=aFZZWG9ER0FpOWFjMG1kalZMcWdKdz09

Meeting ID: 849 4384 6243
Passcode: decent

I'll soon have another call time scheduled that is more UK/EU friendly.

A Decent timeline

The most important number I track is "number of new machines shipped per month".  It's a "cut through the bullshit" kind of number.

Here's several years of that:

de1_shipped_monthly.thumb.jpg.73c896404b7dc7bc6d5de121e3e3935d.jpg

I don't want to jinx it, but we seem to be sustaining another doubling of our ability ship machines, and I hope to ship around 200 DE1 this month.  That'll be almost twice our previous (one-time) record.

Since we're building 50 machines at once, sometimes we make more of a specific model that we have orders for. That means some models are coming into stock and can "ship immediately".

The first model of ours to now be back in stock is the DE1XL Black 220V model, and there's a dozen of them ready to ship.
avail.thumb.jpg.c68e3f1168cab3e48b20d0a88c7f3a62.jpg

Here's what happening right now at the Decent factory, here in Hong Kong:

plans.thumb.jpg.e0d73234e9208e5d02b402fcd690c06c.jpg

Even though our queue is 227 machines deep, the orders are spread across many models, so over the next 2 weeks, there's a good chance a small number of these models will come back into stock as well.

I don't know yet if we'll manage to have a empty queue for Christmas, but it now seems likely we'll have a few different models available before Christmas, for anyone who wants to give a super-nice gift.  😀

-john

• Like 1

light-leak.thumb.jpg.a36cb313a601e0ac9cea824c21874996.jpg

The tablet shortage, solved

I've mentioned in a few previous posts, that we were running out of black Android tablets, and this could prevent us from shipping the espresso machines. 

We've in fact run out completely of our black tablets, which is why we made a bunch of white DE1XL models two weeks ago, as we still had plenty of white Android tablets.  Those while DE1XL models promptly sold out, and then we ran out of one of the white chassis parts (the tablet stand, sigh) as we'd fired our previous chassis maker for their poor quality. Welcome to the world of manufacturing during the age of COVID.  

On the positive side, yesterday we received two samples of the white DE1XL parts from our new support (who we really like) and the workmanship is fantastic. We've had a really hard time getting flawless white chassis.

whitelegs.jpeg.9b0da7f5bd973c6d17a43ba6323ac0fd.jpeg

The black Android tablets were ordered 5 months ago, were were supposed to be here 3 months ago.  However, COVID caused shortages in this resolution of LCD screen. Only poor quality screens were available for sale.  Our manufacturer (a company named PIPO, that makes the tablets for Archos, which is a big name in Europe) wanted me to compromise and accept the lower quality screens, as that was all that was available.  Since I didn't compromise (surprise!), we ran out of PIPO tablets and we were delayed another 3 months to get the good screens (in theory, coming next month, we'll see).

However, as long as there's money in the bank, there's a way to solve this problem!

With the help of my I.T. guy Ricky, we bought samples of most of the 8" Android tablets being currently made, all those available at a screen resolution of 1280x800. And all with ample stock, available to ship immediately.

We found that a company named "Teclast" has more or less cornered the market, as they're making current-spec tablets for this size and resolution.  No other company seems to be investing serious R&D into this form factor, since Samsung stopped making them.  The Android world has more-or-less abandoned tablets (except for the ultra high end), since Phones are where the Android-action is at.

The picture above shows the new tablet (left) and the old tablet (right).  It's hard to see much difference in the photo (they're boot good screens), except for:
- the green color is overly vivid on the old PIPO tablet
- there's a bit of light leakage on the left edge of the new Teclast tablet
- The Teclast screen is a bit sharper.

However, the Teclast tablets use current CPUs (8 cores vs 4 cores) and are 45% faster than our usual tablets.  The Teclast screens use IPS technology, as opposed to LCD, for truer whites and sharper text. It's also Android 9, which is more current.

geekbench.thumb.jpeg.01089bfb20ceec5c2993990c27c86366.jpeg

To get us through this shortage, we've bought 200pcs of the Teclast P80X tablet, directly from Teclast.  

Just to be 100% transparent, these tablets are available on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/TECLAST-Processor-Acceleration-Intelligent-Optimization/dp/B07TKKYLPL/ref=sr_1_1
and that 10+ price on Amazon is the same price we paid.

Here are the tablet specs: http://teclast.com/en/zt/P80X/

Over the next few weeks, these are the tablets that will come with DE1 machines.  After the 2000pcs of the PIPO tablets come in (Android 😎 that's what we'll go back to.  We ordered them 5 months ago. There's nothing at all wrong with them, and they have no brand labelling, which I think looks nicer on the machine.  In a year, there's a good chance we'll move to Teclast, especially if I can negotiate with them to get an Android build with most of the Google bloat removed.

The PIPO tablets all have developer-access "root" enabled and a really, really clean Android build made just for us, according to my specs.  That's very hard to get in the commercial world. The custom Android build makes them run a lot faster than Geekbench indicates, because there's no Googlebloat running in the background.

Some of you might remember Ricky from when we hired him a few years ago. He had just been discharged from the hospital for cancer, having had a good part of his throat removed.  I considered ourselves lucky to be able to hire an IT guy with 20 years experience, at a reasonable salary (the government paid 75% of his salary for the first 9 months). He's now mostly recovered and works full time for us. Though he'll never be able to eat solid food, he's a bit of a work addict, as he's well loved here at Decent, and craved to be more than a "patient" for the rest of his life. I couldn't have gotten out of this situation without him.

-john

• Like 1

Cake for staff, now GAAP compliant

Last week Marius wrote me that he'd like to cancel his $99 order for the Decent Scale, because it's so late in shipping that he's bought a different scale elsewhere. Sorry!  But here's the twist: he'd prefer we keep the $99 and use it to buy the Decent staff some cake.  Wow!

Marius certainly didn't mean to do this, but this caused a good 30 minutes of intense concentration in the Decent accounting department, because "this doesn't usually happen under GAAP accounting rules" (!) 

So, a bit of "creative accounting" (cough) later, we now have two "products" in our catalog, that people can buy:
https://decentespresso.com/c?s=888+1+889+1

When then adds one of the staff's two favorite cakes from Lucullus http://lucullus.com.hk/

cake.thumb.jpg.b1b85b9b50bdcf1383bdfb070b033594.jpg

giphy.gif.286ff9379ead90f52417e2cc8006e502.gif

Seriously (grin), if you'd like to buy us a cake, now at last there's an easy way to do it. 

Just add it to your shopping cart.

You can then photoshop this image with "Thank you <your name here>" 

staffphoto.thumb.jpeg.4b994e5783680b0a0a23d04ff936867c.jpeg

As I write this, Hong Kong Coffee Educator Celia Wong (who just bought a white DE1XL) https://www.instagram.com/chingchingcelia/ is on a bus, headed here with homemade biscuits.  

biscuits.thumb.jpg.09320acb7e4c037bb7e5061fec8a8ed8.jpg

The fact that this keeps happening (customer buying and making us cake, to thank us) is completely blowing my mind.  

-john

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, asbr7 said:

Hi I've been lurking on this forum for years. I am interested in purchasing one. Do you by any chance sell them anywhere in California? I would like to buy one and avoid the shipping charges etc

I don't work for Decent, but I know enough to tell you that they only sell direct for the purposes of keeping the cost as low as possible. Remember: you'd still be paying the shipping charges to get your machine to a dealer in California. You just wouldn't know how much they were ;) 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Coffee by the Casuals said:

I don't work for Decent, but I know enough to tell you that they only sell direct for the purposes of keeping the cost as low as possible. Remember: you'd still be paying the shipping charges to get your machine to a dealer in California. You just wouldn't know how much they were ;) 

Yep and you'd be handing a 30% commission to the local dealer for the honor of receiving your machine from us.  

But @asbr7 if your question is rather "where can I try out a DE1?" i can find you someone in California you can visit, assuming you live in a populated area, and they give their OK despite COVID.

-john

• Like 1