• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One more thing -- what kills companies most often is money.  So, let me address that separately: We've only ever been self-funded, with money from me, my girlfriend and her mum. As of Januar

The serviceability question is totally fair, and I've tried to reassure people as much as I can, with a set of decision. How do I get parts?  All our parts are available to anyone, not just autho

I was a bit upset today, when I went to pick up our mail at our PO box. Of 7 packages received, 6 were product returns.  We rarely get returns, maybe 1 a month.  WTF?FYI : we're going through logistic

Posted Images

Missing the point here guys. John just thinks outside the box and does not rashes to fast answers. He keeps an open mind and sometimes this leads indeed into a one-way street. But getting input from the community on minor things like a Ti tip shows how much he hunts for creative solutions....

offering my 2cents to the Ti debate.

Is there any chance it is easier to clean than steel?

Missing the point here guys. John just thinks outside the box and does not rashes to fast answers. He keeps an open mind and sometimes this leads indeed into a one-way street. But getting input from the community on minor things like a Ti tip shows how much he hunts for creative solutions....

Your comment made me briefly think about it again because I know I dismissed it out of hand as a pointless change. I agree, the attention to detail is incredible (I wouldn't have the patience for it)..and I admire the creativity but I still think it's a complete waste of time. Better to keep the eye on the prize and deliver those machines whilst preventing anything that causes the price increase further.

I don’t like – Sticks and Stones, beans that are sour, green…or rancid (horrible). Quakers hide until you roast them, then they scream out at you in the cooling tray, pick em out and flick them in the bin.. Lifes too short for bad coffee!

I think going down the process of buying and trying out different components or processes on a small scale isn't a complete waste of time. The trick is to pick and make wise choices on those to test so that there isn't a negative effect on time or money.

For me, a Ti tip would be completely wasted as I take my shots straight and steam milk once every few years. If it doesn't affect my price, is offered as an upgrade that some users will get a benefit from and allows Decent Espresso to make a couple bucks on margin, why not?

I think going down the process of buying and trying out different components or processes on a small scale isn't a complete waste of time. The trick is to pick and make wise choices on those to test so that there isn't a negative effect on time or money.

For me, a Ti tip would be completely wasted as I take my shots straight and steam milk once every few years. If it doesn't affect my price, is offered as an upgrade that some users will get a benefit from and allows Decent Espresso to make a couple bucks on margin, why not?

I agree, if it doesn't increase the cost at all....why not.

I don’t like – Sticks and Stones, beans that are sour, green…or rancid (horrible). Quakers hide until you roast them, then they scream out at you in the cooling tray, pick em out and flick them in the bin.. Lifes too short for bad coffee!

On CoffeeSnobs, user "LyreBird" posted this about Titanium:

You'll find titanium is easier to clean and keep clean than is stainless, the oxide layer is thicker and it reforms much faster when breached.

Re "metal flavour": stainless does allow metal ions to migrate into fluids in contact, that's the whole point of passivating with citric acid or similar, it preferentially dissolves the iron leaving an increased proportion of chromium and nickel. In the wine industry, where we care about such things, stainless is always passivated with citric after it has been cleaned with an alkaline cleaner.

There is no need to passivate Ti, it does it itself in an ordinary atmosphere.

Others chimed in that this tip would heat up as much, if not more, than our current stainless steel tip, so the phenomena of "milk cooking onto the tip" would be unchanged.

At this point, from all the feedback, I'm not sure what advantage this would have, other than adding USD$20 to my build price, and the other negative of potentially having two different metals doing ionic exchange.

We do have some experiments to continue (and conclude) on tip shapes, and we've made a bunch of them to test.

-john

25438596_1907348899583438_3573319546756645706_o.jpg

Back in Hong Kong, Fabrice and Alex are testing the prototype plumbable drip tray. They tried 3 different kinds of tubing, two kinds of fasteners. Everything to work OK. Quick flow, no blockage.

The only problem at the moment is the sharp 90º bend of the tube is slightly lifting the drip tray up. A few possible solutions: (1) pre-bent tubing, (2) a tube-bend-guide that fits over the tube and (3) connecting two segments.

-john

plumbit.jpg

If you're bored on this sunny, beautiful London saturday, and would love nothing more than to spend a few hours in a London basement discussing coffee. Then...

There are still places available at my demo and roundtable at Prufrock today, starting in 2 hours, ending at 5pm today:

https://www.prufrockcoffee.com/special-events/

39775361_2088995291418797_459538587021475840_o.jpg

On CoffeeSnobs, user "LyreBird" posted this about Titanium:

Others chimed in that this tip would heat up as much, if not more, than our current stainless steel tip, so the phenomena of "milk cooking onto the tip" would be unchanged.

At this point, from all the feedback, I'm not sure what advantage this would have, other than adding USD$20 to my build price, and the other negative of potentially having two different metals doing ionic exchange.

We do have some experiments to continue (and conclude) on tip shapes, and we've made a bunch of them to test.

-john

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36309[/ATTACH]

Bottom left has the appearance of an industrial pressure washer lance jet, usually exude a fanned style spray angle.

Jon.

I'll post news about that when I have it, but we're still quite a ways away from that. September/October will have us putting substantial time into the group head controller, and then there'll need to be testing time. And then we'll submit that to Intertek for UL approval. Christmas vacations will mean that approval should come in late January/early February.

The v1.3 machines will feature the group head controller, whether or not we have UL approval yet for it. They'll start getting made once we have made about 70% of this next batch of v1.1 machines.

-john

John,

Do you have any preliminary pictures of the group head controller you can share? I'm trying to decide if I should wait for the v1.3 machine, and the group head controller is the reason why I'd wait (my wife doesn't like the "modern" design and I'm hoping the controller changes the look enough for her). Do you expect the price points to remain similar?

Still odd, two sign up and jump straight on this thread, and no welcome!!!

Its not really that unusual... I quite regularly seek advice from forums I have no intention of sticking around on, this and the HB thread are a main resource of info for the Decent Machine and a direct line of contact to the owner of the company, its unsurprising people who are interested in the machine but not really the forum as a community will post here.

John,

Do you have any preliminary pictures of the group head controller you can share? I'm trying to decide if I should wait for the v1.3 machine, and the group head controller is the reason why I'd wait (my wife doesn't like the "modern" design and I'm hoping the controller changes the look enough for her). Do you expect the price points to remain similar?

Welcome.

Jon.

John,

Do you not feel that even with this machine, which I've enjoyed keeping an eye on since joining this forum and admire the openness and response that 'John' endeavours to keep up and respond to at every point in time when a query, suggestion, observation crops up, this machine is a drift away from the traditional appearance, the use, which I believe is a first, of a tablet to control almost every aspect of producing a brew.

Also we see the introduction of a new grinder, the 'Niche' that again is a move away from a traditional appearance to something that represents possibly a typical kitchen accessory, yes I know it is, but as grinders go.

Jon.

Do you not feel that even with this machine, which I've enjoyed keeping an eye on since joining this forum and admire the openness and response that 'John' endeavours to keep up and respond to at every point in time when a query, suggestion, observation crops up, this machine is a drift away from the traditional appearance, the use, which I believe is a first, of a tablet to control almost every aspect of producing a brew.

Also we see the introduction of a new grinder, the 'Niche' that again is a move away from a traditional appearance to something that represents possibly a typical kitchen accessory, yes I know it is, but as grinders go.

Jon.

To be clear, I like the design. My wife does not. It is my hope that the yet-to-be-seen group head controller on the v1.3 machine will change the aesthetic enough to sway my wife.

To be clear, I like the design. My wife does not. It is my hope that the yet-to-be-seen group head controller on the v1.3 machine will change the aesthetic enough to sway my wife.

Good Luck with your train of thought and diplomacy, I hope there's a compromise sufficient to keep both parties happy :whistle:.

Jon.