19 hours ago, Cyberclau said:

1) What will be the other differences, if any, between ordering a DE1+ v1.1 in two weeks (i.e .with the new tablet) and the 1500W heater (not the pre-built version) versus ordering a v1.3 (in January?)? Other differences than the pre-built heater and the new firmware (that will be available free to all as you said).

The firmware update is compatible with all machines, going back to when we launched.

I was "out of the loop" and it turns out that since March 2019 (around machine serial #420) the factory switched to 1500W heaters, and most of the v1.3 machines will have these 1500W heaters with the slow-to-assemble fiberglass/aerogel box, and around June we'll switch to the new box around the heaters.

However, the firmware controlling the heaters is still assuming 1350W, as the new firmware to take advantage of the extra wattage is not yet out.  That'll come out in January, to all machines, and will give the 1500W heater folks a bit of a boost.

The bigger difference between v1.1 and v1.3 is the new group head controller.  New tablets will start to ship with v1.1 machines in about 10 days. We're QCing the new batch this saturday.

2) Any remaining issue with the IMS screen, provided with the DE1PRO, causing cratters? What is the current and future solution? Estimated time for a permanent fix / form of the fix?

I don't agree that there are "problems" with the IMS screen.

I do agree that there's always room for improvement and it looks like a spacer, which two 3rd parties sell (at differing prices) improves repeatability and reduces channeling for many people.  But, lots of people are very happy without the spacer.  You're welcome to buy a spacer, or wait it out and see what the results of all this research is.  People are still trying out different designs, and you can buy them for under £100 at any point, if you want to play with the latest stuff.

But, if you're nervous about the IMS screen and want to buy a DE1PRO, I'm happy to include the standard screen as well as the IMS, for free, and you can try both.

3) Is it planned in v1.3 firmware to add the option to interact/control/react in real time when pulling an espresso shot?

Yes, but only with the group head controller. Older machines won't have that feature, as bluetooth does not have enough bandwidth for us to do that in a quality way.

-john

cart_prototype4.thumb.jpg.1c36291c75d77e475d6fa075722e0d6b.jpg

Decent Coffee Cart Progress
I've previously written about my experiments converting a $99 IKEA BROR tablet into a coffee cart. We've now moving to the next stage in our experiments.
We're having a new tabletop made for us, with computer-controlled-CNC, so that all our coffee components fit into the table, with no sawing needed.
My idea is that we'll sell this at our-cost-plus-shipping, and you'll put it into a IKEA BROR table that you buy locally.
By using CNC, we'll be able to offer a few different configurations. Possibilities such as a left-hand-oriented, or right-hand-oriented layout. Or a larger BIGGER BROR version with two countersunk Decent Espresso Machines. Or with a combination countersunk steam unit/pitcher rinser instead of our simpler pitcher rinser.
With the tabletop we chose, we greatly thickened the top, from IKEA's 8mm to 15mm for ours. We also went with pre-varnished wood, so it's ready for you to use and fairly water resistant.
The CNC cuts are much more precise than I was able to do with a jigsaw.
One effect of that precision is that we were able to put a wider "margin" on the right hand side, where I was intending on putting customer drinks.
Next steps are: power stripe, cable management, receiving a Niche grinder for this project, and wiring it all up.
-john

• Like 1

Hi John,

Just a crazy idea of cross-breading espresso and nitro coffee. How about trying to use nitrogen instead of atmospheric air inside the pump while pulling espresso shot? Do you think the resulting drink would have textural benefits of cold nitro drink (richer crema, cascading) and impact on flavor & taste (due to lesser oxidation)? I acknowledge that nitrogen bubbles would be escaping at much higher pace from a 98 degrees liquid - so visual effect may not be as stunning as for cold nitro but still... 

Is it technically doable to connect nitro tank to a pump?

Cheers,

Oleg

Hi John,
Just a crazy idea of cross-breading espresso and nitro coffee. How about trying to use nitrogen instead of atmospheric air inside the pump while pulling espresso shot? Do you think the resulting drink would have textural benefits of cold nitro drink (richer crema, cascading) and impact on flavor & taste (due to lesser oxidation)? I acknowledge that nitrogen bubbles would be escaping at much higher pace from a 98 degrees liquid - so visual effect may not be as stunning as for cold nitro but still... 
Cheers,
Oleg
Doesn't the pump have water in it while pulling a shot?

Laissez les bons temps rouler

8 minutes ago, ashcroc said:
14 minutes ago, gelious said:
Hi John,
Cheers,
Oleg

Doesn't the pump have water in it while pulling a shot?

Right you're. Then how about pre-infusing water with nitrogen? 

Think small
Decent Espresso is currently at the big annual Korea Coffee Show, with 5 staffers and we’re maxed all day. Shin made two Ikea BROR coffee carts, with a 1 countersink machine on a small cart, and a larger cart with two machines (2nd photo). Martin from Niche is presenting tomorrow at 3pm, at our stand.
Shin didn’t tell me what he was designing for the stand, he just got on with it. This is my first look at the backdrop.
I don’t know if Shin intentionally is making a reference to the super-famous Volksvagen mini ad that changed the advertising world, 50 years ago.
-john

small.jpg

• Like 2

1470533609_ScreenShot2019-11-09at6_03_27PM.thumb.jpg.92247ba54702cebc98b948ec71a8b851.jpg

App update: favorite profiles, user-created lever profiles
  • your "top 3" most used espresso profiles are now automatically labelled with a heart symbol.
  • The reason I added this, is that I find it very hard to find my favorite profiles among the long list.  I hope the heart symbol helps.
  • My goal with the way I've implemented this, is for it to not cause you to have to think, nor be distracting or in your way. Subtle, but helpful. Hopefully.
  • if you have never used 3 different profiles, then (in this order) these 3 profiles are marked with a heart, to recommend them (especially for new users): "default", "gentle and sweet", "blooming espresso". The goal is to guide new users to the most popular profiles.  But once you've used 3 profiles of your choice, the heart icon follows your choice.
  • the "top 3 profiles" is only calculated when the app starts, and is not dynamically based on your espressos in the current session.  I may change that in the future and make it dynamic.
Also:
  • I've added the "advanced lever profile" created by John Weiss and Damian Brakel's extremely popular Londinium R profile.
  • I've added Spence's popular "Dark Theme" to the built-in themes in the app, so you no longer need to manually download it. You can see it often in instagram photos of people's Decent espresso machines.

image.thumb.png.c03bd4f2f9b07e5ee508b6b84bb172d1.png

I don't know how it works, but do the 'hearted' ones also stay at the top of the list?

2 minutes ago, -Mac said:

I don't know how it works, but do the 'hearted' ones also stay at the top of the list?

I decided not to do that, because profiles are currently sorted by name. 

Your suggestion (and I gave this idea some thought as well) would mean that the profiles you used, as they became "top 3", would move about in the list. 

I thought that'd make them harder to find instead of easier.

-john

It wouldn't make it harder. It's pretty much how every PC/phone app in the world works (and for good reason). Favourites stay at the top and everything else is either in ascending or descending order underneath them (or as sorted in the user-specified order).

DE1XL: countertop or countersunk

People often ask me if we have a version of this espresso machine that can sit on a countertop, as they don't want to cut a hole in their table.  Yes, we do, it's the same model.

So... we made this very short video to show the two ways the DE1XL can be placed at your place. 😄

-john

I received photos this morning, of a big banquet for Heritage Radio that Ace Coffee Co ran in New York. Very nice to see a big production setting with our little espresso machines. Nice one, Charles!
-john

If you don’t know HRN, their radio program on foods are really something:

“HRN is the world’s pioneer food radio station. The studio broadcasts live from two recycled shipping containers inside Roberta’s Pizza, an innovative restaurant at the epicenter of Brooklyn’s culinary renaissance”

ace_catering2.thumb.jpg.0055d3e278d679b71bbcb559566b84a3.jpg

On 07/11/2019 at 12:15, decent_espresso said:

The firmware update is compatible with all machines, going back to when we launched.

I was "out of the loop" and it turns out that since March 2019 (around machine serial #420) the factory switched to 1500W heaters, and most of the v1.3 machines will have these 1500W heaters with the slow-to-assemble fiberglass/aerogel box, and around June we'll switch to the new box around the heaters.

However, the firmware controlling the heaters is still assuming 1350W, as the new firmware to take advantage of the extra wattage is not yet out.  That'll come out in January, to all machines, and will give the 1500W heater folks a bit of a boost.

The bigger difference between v1.1 and v1.3 is the new group head controller.  New tablets will start to ship with v1.1 machines in about 10 days. We're QCing the new batch this saturday.

I don't agree that there are "problems" with the IMS screen.

I do agree that there's always room for improvement and it looks like a spacer, which two 3rd parties sell (at differing prices) improves repeatability and reduces channeling for many people.  But, lots of people are very happy without the spacer.  You're welcome to buy a spacer, or wait it out and see what the results of all this research is.  People are still trying out different designs, and you can buy them for under £100 at any point, if you want to play with the latest stuff.

But, if you're nervous about the IMS screen and want to buy a DE1PRO, I'm happy to include the standard screen as well as the IMS, for free, and you can try both.

Yes, but only with the group head controller. Older machines won't have that feature, as bluetooth does not have enough bandwidth for us to do that in a quality way.

-john

Hi,

Thanks for your answers! Here are a couple more :-) :

1) Do you have a date for the v1.3 machine with the new controller head?

a) Do you have an idea of the increase in price, if any?

2) Is the refill kit compatible with the DE1+?

3) How long will it takes (approx) to pack a DE1+/DE1PRO from a plumb-in setup to the transport case?

a) Nothing else to do to have it work with the internal tank when on the move? (except to swap the drain tray for the original one without the hole)

4) For my understanding, is the bandwidth limitation of Bluetooth the real reason why not implement a direct control of the current shot with the tablet? I think it is around 3Mbps and it serves you well for exchanging data for graphing the shot in near real time. Is it not more the lagging/slow responsiveness of the protocol the real reason? I imagine going WiFi or USB will demand a more in-depth redesign.

In all case, thanks very much for your answers. It is something to have a direct channel with the founder/CEO of such an innovative coffee equipment company . This is refreshing!

Currently, I'm owing a Rocket Evo V2 HX machine with a group head thermometer. During the last two years, I have managed to get OK results, but not more than acceptable. Too many parameters to reproduce exactly the same shot (cooling flush length and start temp, rebound, GH temperature, water temperature in tank, room temperature, etc.). It is not usable by my SO (too complicated she says :-)). I was looking for a DB PID machine, but your machines seem more interesting. I think that once a good routine will be found and added in the machine, it'll will be easier for my SO to use it. What do you think/suggest about that (other than getting the self levering v2 tamper :-))? The only disadvantages right now are the slow steaming (SO = 13 ounces Latté :-)), the step price for Canadian market, the fact that it is hard/impossible to find a place to try these machines before buying and the lack of long term reliability data. At first, I also thought that the lack of steaming+brewing at the same time will also be problematic, but I find myself rarely doing it if I want to concentrate on the extraction (me = good at doing only one thing that need concentration at the same time :-)).

Anyway, congrats on your product, company innovation and your proximity with your clients/future clients.

Claude

1 hour ago, Cyberclau said:

Hi,

Thanks for your answers! Here are a couple more 🙂 :

1) Do you have a date for the v1.3 machine with the new controller head?

a) Do you have an idea of the increase in price, if any?

We're aiming for January 1st, but it'll ship when it works to my satisfaction.  We're currently fiddling with different coatings for the glass, and the firmware user interface on the controller.

Price increase is about GBP300.

2) Is the refill kit compatible with the DE1+?

Yes, the refill kit works on all models 

3) How long will it takes (approx) to pack a DE1+/DE1PRO from a plumb-in setup to the transport case?

Takes me about 10 minutes to set up or tear down.

a) Nothing else to do to have it work with the internal tank when on the move? (except to swap the drain tray for the original one without the hole)

Correct.  If you don't plumb it, figure about 3 minutes to set up.  5 to tear down, as you want to wipe things down as you go.

Plumbed, there's some water to pour out, some tubes to avoid getting dirty, etc.

4) For my understanding, is the bandwidth limitation of Bluetooth the real reason why not implement a direct control of the current shot with the tablet? I think it is around 3Mbps and it serves you well for exchanging data for graphing the shot in near real time. Is it not more the lagging/slow responsiveness of the protocol the real reason? I imagine going WiFi or USB will demand a more in-depth redesign.

You might be thinking about Bluetooth 3.

BLE (bluetooth low energy) is Bluetooth 4, mandated on iOS, and is extremely low bandwidth.

You can send or receive 8 bytes (!!!!) 10x per second, under BLE.

Wifi and USB were not originally done because of safety compliance rules limiting what we can do. There's a reason BLE is used everywhere on kitchen stuff, and it's because it's much easier to get certified.

I think that once a good routine will be found and added in the machine, it'll will be easier for my SO to use it. What do you think/suggest about that (other than getting the self levering v2 tamper :-))?

Our v2 tamper, sure, but there are several excellent self-leveling tampers out there now.

Grounds distribution is super important too, as much so as tamping.  I'm a big fan of the bplus tool.

The only disadvantages right now are the slow steaming (SO = 13 ounces Latté :-)), the step price for Canadian market, the fact that it is hard/impossible to find a place to try these machines before buying and the lack of long term reliability data. At first, I also thought that the lack of steaming+brewing at the same time will also be problematic, but I find myself rarely doing it if I want to concentrate on the extraction (me = good at doing only one thing that need concentration at the same time :-)).

As to long term reliability, we're now going on our 3rd year of manufacturing.  You're welcome to ask other owners what their experience has been.

At the Korean Show last week, at our booth we had 3 owners, from different cafes. One makes 200 lattes a day on 1 DE1PRO, and told everyone he never has any problems.

Some people have had problems, but as a very Internet-focussed and globally oriented company, I really make sure we take care of our owners.  Again, ask around, there are plenty of owners who will tell you their experience.

As to finding a place try it out, there are 975 owners out there, and if one is near you, I'm happy to hook you up. But Canada is a big place, so I'm hoping you live near a major city.

-john

• Like 1

Tinkering with colors and controls

We're finalizing how your interaction with the new group head controller will work.  Here you can see me telling the machine to heat up, after which a closewise red LED fills the controller as it heats up to 100%.  Next to do: an equivalent  "cool down" animation.  Every typical action you'd need to do with the tablet, you'll now also be able to do with with the controller on the group head.

-john

Put a lid on it
Our 2 liter ceramic water sits a few millimeters under the legs of the espresso machine. Not much can get in there, but an enterprising little insect could, depending on your climate.
Ben has designed a lid that can be 3D printed, that fits on the water tank. We're going to open source the design, so that others can tinker, as we'd like this lid to be as uncombersome as possible. Maybe, an hinged opening is possible, like the sous vide lid in the photo.
Besides people 3D printing it themselves, we're thinking of making these out of food-safe silicone.
Another idea: most water tanks that sit at room temperature eventually grow some algae. Someone suggested a fish tank UV light. I'm wondering if anyone has tried plunging one of these in your espresso water tank, to prevent anything from growing?
-john
put_a_lid_on_it_2.thumb.jpg.05863675d057f6f5850f67e59b2f491b.jpg

Comparing drip tray covers

Today I received samples of all the drip tray covers we're considering. 
I was very surprised by what I found.
At first blush, the "lost wax" (cast stainless steel) cover looks "more imperfect" than the "welded wires" one.

lost_wax.thumb.jpeg.cd804f87f5a0559058fb2e67f68d722b.jpeg

welded_wires.thumb.jpeg.eb7a3ef2e4566cbf91b33e260ece32c0.jpeg

However, in actual use, the viewing angle and background has a huge impact. The "welded wires" looks more imperfect in use.
I made a movie comparing the two.
The "lost wax" cover I received was less nice than this, when I received it.  However, 6 little adjustments with a dull screwdriver (about 30 seconds work) and it looked much better.

What I think we're going to do next is ask the "lost wax" people if they'd be willing to make manual adjustments like this, using a jig (of our making) that mates with a cover, and repeatedly adjusting the cover until it fits properly into the jig.    I don't think it'll take much time, and the result should look pretty good.
I was hoping for "perfection" but at the HOST Milano trade show I looked at other welded wire covers from other espresso machines, and all of them look "so so", aka imperfect, a bit shabby. 
The polished finished on the "lost wax" is *beautiful* and catches the light in an amazing way. I hope you will be able to see that in the video above.
Ben placed the two vertical wires so they they center a cup under the group head, which I find quite pleasing now.
Now... the bad news. "lost wax" casting is a slow process. It'll likely take us 3 to 4 more months to get a batch of acceptable covers using this technique. So, I'm going to have to order 500 pieces of the best of the "welded wire" covers, to ship with the upcoming v1.3 machines, or else we won't be able to send espresso machines to customers. 
My intention is to continue to work on this part until we're happy with it, and then replace the trays for everyone since August 2019, as well as everyone who sent their (ugly) trays in to help us out.
What do you think?
-john

Hi,
I have a question on the upcoming decent scale.
I have an ITO/Leva! smart controller with BLE interface. So far it has been developed and tested to work exclusively with Skale2 only.
I asked the controller vendor and he is not sure so i am asking here - is the decent scale using exactly the same command set, protocol, api, etc so that can be safely assumed it will work with a controller developed for Skale2?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, blazarov said:

I have an ITO/Leva! smart controller with BLE interface. So far it has been developed and tested to work exclusively with Skale2 only.
I asked the controller vendor and he is not sure so i am asking here - is the decent scale using exactly the same command set, protocol, api, etc so that can be safely assumed it will work with a controller developed for Skale2?

I asked the Skale folks if they were ok with my being compatible with them, and never got an answer. 

So, I assumed that the answer was "not really, but we'd rather not create conflict and say so", and so the Decent Scale is "similar to the Skale API in functionality, but different implementation."  I actually quite like the people being the Skale (Atomax, they're called) and we've gone "blood-tofu" eating in Taiwan (a bonding exercise) and if they prefer "no", I'm going to respect that.

Note that in the Decent Scale bluetooth implementation, I'm going to have flow rate (change/second) calculated on the scale itself, sent over bluetooth.  I'm quite happy about out this. It removes bluetooth timing irregularities from messing with flow rate calculations, which is a problem with other bluetooth scales I've worked with.

There already is source code for talking to the Decent Scale, which you can download at https://decentespresso.com/downloads by grabbing the Android app, and looking at "bluetooth.tcl"

-john

On 19/11/2019 at 13:42, decent_espresso said:
The polished finished on the "lost wax" is *beautiful* and catches the light in an amazing way. I hope you will be able to see that in the video above.

So far all the drip covers are made out of some sort of metal.
What about making them out of a different material - wood or plastic?

13 hours ago, patrickff said:

What about making them out of a different material - wood or plastic?

That doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Wood: no, because of water resistance.  Plastic, no because of strength. 

I've never seen a drip tray cover out of either material.

That doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Wood: no, because of water resistance.  Plastic, no because of strength. 
I've never seen a drip tray cover out of either material.
Gaggia Tebe/Paros has a plastic drip tray & cover. Not that they're anywhere near the calibre of your machines of course.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

A problem with our Simple Scale

In the past few months, I've been receiving reports that our Simple Scale isn't able to weigh single beans.  It took a bit of time to track down the problem, as not every scale had this problem, and a year ago, the problem didn't exist at all.

We found that the "load cell" that is in our scale has been going down in quality. We suspect the manufacturer of that part.

The simple scale used to be accurate and fast, but recently it's been really not able to count single beans (0.1g increments) when there's 10g or more on the scale.  Since that's a typical use for our scale, that's a quite bad development.

We challenged the company that makes the scale for us, and made them videos of tests we needed them to pass, which were failing now.  They agreed with us that the load cells were at fault and found another manufacturer, slightly more expensive. They built 100 scales for us, which we've now tested, and the new load cells look good.

If you've bought a Simple Scale https://decentespresso.com/scale from us and found that it doesn't handle 0.1g weight increments well, you probably have one of these bad scales.  

If so, contact us https://decentespresso.com/contact I'll send you a replacement scale for free.  

Note that most older Simple Scales are likely OK, as they used to perform well. 

To determine if you've got a problematic scale:

• put about 10g of beans in a paper cup, on the scale, 
  • and then add beans one at a time.  
  • you should see the weight increment in 0.1g steps
  • if adding several beans does not increase the weight, you've got a bad scale
  • note: beans can sometimes weigh less than 0.1g, so it can take 2 beans to increase the weight.

Again: sorry about the problems, and please get in contact if you've got a bad scale, so I can fix this.

-john

35290934_ScreenShot2019-11-25at10_19_00AM.thumb.jpg.aab1522abc2ea27573b67baac84e12b6.jpg

Eye to eye coffee service

Celadon Coffee just posted a photo of their beautiful installation of two black DE1XL Decent Espresso machines.

I think this is the first cafe to deploy my goal of a conversation between clients and barista, possible because Joao and I designed this model to be very low profile. No Big Boiler Machine separates you from your guests.

I intended the countersink brack to hide all the tubes and wires, but also to lower the espresso machine further down, so you can make eye contact.  

The form of the machine is intentionally minimalist, so that it effectively vanishes, with your eye instead drawn to the setting (such as their spectacular mural).

-john

https://www.instagram.com/celadon.coffee/

Edit: just received this photo of the cafe actually open, and you can see that they're tinkering a bit with the tablet stand, with different approaches on both machines.

71917934_185484325837806_1133052272074203979_n.thumb.jpg.ff23b341ac68d9bdedd74bffb3309299.jpg

• Like 1