• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One more thing -- what kills companies most often is money.  So, let me address that separately: We've only ever been self-funded, with money from me, my girlfriend and her mum. As of Januar

The serviceability question is totally fair, and I've tried to reassure people as much as I can, with a set of decision. How do I get parts?  All our parts are available to anyone, not just autho

I was a bit upset today, when I went to pick up our mail at our PO box. Of 7 packages received, 6 were product returns.  We rarely get returns, maybe 1 a month.  WTF?FYI : we're going through logistic

Posted Images

[ATTACH=CONFIG]35727[/ATTACH]

Found out about the Hario Samantha "smart brewer" yesterday.

I was (somewhat) amused to see them make a proud feature of the very thing that Intertek forbid us to do for UL approval: control hot water starting over bluetooth.

Gotta love the arbitrary nature of UL rule enforcement.

Might it be worth going back to them now this president has been set?
Might it be worth going back to them now this president has been set?

I think John went over the fact that they weren't consistent before, I think he already cited other examples of this inconsistency.

I think John went over the fact that they weren't consistent before, I think he already cited other examples of this inconsistency.

Yep. The reply is simply "just because other people are violating the rules doesn't mean we should let you violate them".

We're already quite far down the path of making a quite fancy built-in group head controller, so I'm not going to back away from that path.

-john

Yep, following those threads. Not really much out there from the owners, save a few. I guess that's a "no" on observing the owners forum. I wonder why you'd want to hide that from others? Seems like the only place the whole story lies and hiding it is inconsistent with the openness we've seen up until now. Hmmmm.....:confused: Carry on!:coffee:

It's not a quest of "hiding it" from people, it's:

1) access to the "Decent Diaspora" community is part of the benefits of buying our machines, along with other kinds of support, such as 1:1 contact between everyone (including the Decent engineers).

2) Owners want to have quite different conversations from Prospective Owners, and since there already exist forums (like this one) for prospective owners, I prefer to create something different.

3) And finally, the software I have chose to run it, called Basecamp, does not support read only, or anonymous viewing. It might be hard to get one's mind around it, but this "limitation" actually creates huge opportunities, because everyone on Diaspora is vetted and trusted. For example, the "documents" section is collaboratively written and organized. Anyone can create a "todo" for us, and be notified when it's done.

"Basecamp" is generally used by companies who are working closely with clients on a project.

I chose to treat each owner as a part of this "decent project" and that's created something quite different from a forum.

-john

Edited by decent_espresso
  • Like 1

The one-off prototype for the v1.1 legs and chassis arrived last week while I was in Manila, and a test machine is being built with it.

We'll do some stress testing next week. Assuming all looks good, this will become the new leg set for DE1+ owners, and will be what we send to people who have waited to receive leg replacements from us (in the cases where theirs got bent in shipping)

Also, the sides of the legs are now continuously welded, so paint fractures should be harder to cause.

IMG_9168.jpg

IMG_9167.jpg

IMG_9170.jpg

I think I'm sold on getting the DE1+ is there a date yet for early next year? I'm guessing this batch will come with the new heater? That's talked about further up this thread? Thanks

The new design heater is still a long ways away: sometime in 2019. There's a 6 month lead time on it, once we finalize the design (which we haven't yet). There's nothing wrong with the current heater, it's just not bespoke.

We will likely have DE1PROs available in stock shortly, and I'm thinking of offering them at a lower price for those that don't need the plumbing kits.

-john

Thanks John. I would definitely be keen on the pro version without the plumb kit. Question regarding heater. What is the difference... Is it more powerful? Only just started following this thread.

Yes, the bespoke heater will be more powerful, but it will only be offered on the cafe version, for those that need very powerful stream (to crank out "them lattes").

We're also working on another bespoke heater, for v1.3 DE1+ machines, that will boost us from 1350W (off the shelf, today's model) to 1500W (bespoke model), but that's only a 10% power boost in steam.

Home users have generally not been complaining about the steam power on the forums. It's cafes for whom high speed is so important.

-john

Thanks John. I'm guessing you will announce on the forums if you do decide to ship pro without plumbing kit? Last question.... Is there a list of the different versions and what is changed? E.g v1. 3 if pro model in Jan vs v1. 1 in September? Thanks

Is there a list of the different versions and what is changed? E.g v1. 3 if pro model in Jan vs v1. 1 in September? Thanks

v1.0 : now shipping

v1.1 : 4mm less headspace above portafilter basket, stronger legs, shipping to start end of September

v1.2 : cafe model only, final specifications to be announced, but planned to be 2x stronger steam, group head controller, 20% larger, retina display tablet. Beta shipping to start in October

v1.3 : group head controller, DE1+ and DE1PRO both now available, shipping in January 2019. UL approved.

Thanks John. I'm guessing you will announce on the forums if you do decide to ship pro without plumbing kit?

Yep.

If you decide to release the DE1PRO without the plumbing kit, will this be with the v1.1 chassis, group head, etc or the original v1.0 design?

It'll be a permanent offering, with some DE1PRO (unplumbed) at v1.0 being available immediately.

-john

IMG_9194.jpg

IMG_9195.jpg

All our early customers now have a machine (or it's on their way to them via UPS)

A big push today has us sending the very last machines that were pre-ordered.

Next week, Mirjam and I will be offering v1.0 DE1PRO machines to the 70 people who have bought from us in the past few weeks. They'll have "first dibs" on these, or they can wait until the v1.1 model goes into production in about 2 months.

And so I also hope that in the next 2 to 3 weeks, I'll have a few dozen DE1PRO models (plumbed and not) in stock for immediate delivery, to whoever wants to buy one.

To all of you who bought a machine early from us, who put your confidence in Ray, me and the rest of my team: thank you! And a big apology to Mr Merhi, who had to wait the longest as he ordered so many machines from us (his is the big pallet).

-john