Coffee Forums banner

V60 Recipes

77K views 513 replies 57 participants last post by  MWJB 
#1 ·
Just wondering if people out there stick to a standard ratio/recipe for their V60 brews or if you ever mix it up.

I tend to go for a 12g - 200g - 2.20 which is normally around 1.8 on my Feldgrind (might adjust up or down a little on the grind to achieve 2.20) as per the Perger method, but recently I was trying some prototype roast beans and discussing the flavour in the cup with the guy who roasted them and when we discussed the flavours I was tasting versus what he was he suggested I tried his ratio of 17g - 250g in about 2.30. There was a significant (positive) difference in the cup going to his ratio that made me think about how I approach my V60's and maybe I should mix up the recipe and not just the grind.

As not many roasters advertise a V60 recipe for their beans this is obviously going to be a bit hit and miss going forwards, but I think I might ask in future when I order beans if there is a preferred V60 recipe for that specific bean.

Interested to see how others approach this, do you have a standard recipe that you stick to and just adjust the grind to achieve a specific time or do you mix it up?

#2 ·
The ratio sets the target strength (17/250g = 68g/l if you hit an equivalent extraction your coffee was much stronger, if you hit a low extraction the coffee would have been maybe about the same strength, but a lower extraction changing the taste balance), brew time might vary from a very soluble bean to a less soluble bean. You could increase your dose & still use 200g of water replicate a similar effect, use more brew water when you want a bigger cupful.

200g is good weight as it is easily divisible by lots of numbers, to normalise your pour (e.g. 100g every 45 sec, 50g every 30sec, 40g every 25sec, 25g every 15sec etc.)

The recipe is more than just the brew ratio, recipes assume a good flavour balance. For me a good recipe is one that I don't have to change much to make all the beans I try taste good. I do this mostly by sticking to the same ratio & grind, just changing pour regime & brew time if necessary.

#4 ·
I use a 02 size, and I've had very nice cups of 12g -> 200ml. I probably wouldn't go any lower than that, but I never need to anyway.

My go to recipe is 18g -> 300ml, start with a ~30g bloom and stirring to ensure grounds are wet, then top up ~100g. I then do many slow pours to keep the slurry level at the same level until 2:30, with the draw down done by 3:30. Works for me, and I always get a tasty brew from it. Grind size is usually 7-8 on the EK (turkish burrs), depending on the bean.

#5 ·
jonbutler88 said:
I use a 02 size, and I've had very nice cups of 12g -> 200ml. I probably wouldn't go any lower than that, but I never need to anyway.

My go to recipe is 18g -> 300ml, start with a ~30g bloom and stirring to ensure grounds are wet, then top up ~100g. I then do many slow pours to keep the slurry level at the same level until 2:30, with the draw down done by 3:30. Works for me, and I always get a tasty brew from it. Grind size is usually 7-8 on the EK (turkish burrs), depending on the bean.
Although, these 2 recipes look somewhat different, they're pretty much the same, same ratio & a similar flow rate.

#6 ·
Yep, that's the point right? 6g/100ml, and try to get all out in 3:30, possibly adjusted a little for smaller or larger brews.

More related to the OPs question, I guess I found a lot less need for experimentation in V60 (or brewed in general?), as the result is generally very good. Because of this I don't really have recipes, just a set of sane guidelines that I follow as closely as possible (without obsessing) each time. I tend to mess with the grind size if I want to adjust the strength, but that's about it.

#7 ·
jonbutler88 said:
......My go to recipe is 18g -> 300ml, start with a ~30g bloom and stirring to ensure grounds are wet, then top up ~100g. I then do many slow pours to keep the slurry level at the same level until 2:30, with the draw down done by 3:30......
jonbutler88 said:
........ a set of sane guidelines that I follow as closely as possible (without obsessing) each time......
ROFPML!!

On what other forum/walk of life could those two statements be made with a straight face.....

We weigh doses on scales reading to .01 of a gram...

We time things...

We adjust pressures... & pressures...

all "without being obsessive!!!!"

#9 ·
Haha yeah, adjusted for "coffee geek" levels of obsessiveness.

I was referring to things like not having a strict pouring regiment (e.g. 50g every 30s), and not caring if the dose is 18.1g instead of 18.0 or if my pour overruns by 10s. You'll notice lots of "~" (approximately) in my post to show this. IMHO it's a nice balance between getting consistent results and being obsessive over the brewing process.

#10 ·
So guys, where am I going wrong? I've read this and the coffee wiki guide. I think I'm doing everything right. 15g and 200g water, 10-15g "bloom" (?) Then doing the swirly business. Then drinking what tastes spot on extraction wise, but is just "wet". Should I just admit I'm an espresso kind of girl, or is there a way to beef up the flavour without losing the taste? I'm concerned I may be missing something as the instructions here all seem to involve an option to dilute to taste...

Edited to add. It's about 2:30 from start of full pour to finish and 30secs with damp grounds

#11 ·
Missy said:
So guys, where am I going wrong? I've read this and the coffee wiki guide. I think I'm doing everything right. 15g and 200g water, 10-15g "bloom" (?) Then doing the swirly business. Then drinking what tastes spot on extraction wise, but is just "wet". Should I just admit I'm an espresso kind of girl, or is there a way to beef up the flavour without losing the taste? I'm concerned I may be missing something as the instructions here all seem to involve an option to dilute to taste...

Edited to add. It's about 2:30 from start of full pour to finish and 30secs with damp grounds
Which beans are you using Missy? Since you've been loving espresso, maybe the beans you're using are more suited to this (maybe blends or darker roasts?). In my experience, these sort of beans taste thin and watery through a pour over method such as V60. The paper filter removes much of the 'body' associated with espresso based drinks.

V60 is suited to more fruity and acidic (in a nice way) beans, maybe roasted a tad lighter than typical espresso-based beans, so the 'roasty' flavours are minimised. This allows the juicy and fruity flavours to come through

#12 ·
Thanks @nufc1 that could explain it! I've been using Raves mocha Java. I've got their hakuna matata coming so I will try again with those.

#14 ·
When you say reduce ratio you mean add more water? I've not changed from espresso grind so it's pretty fine already.

#15 ·
MWJB is correct, usually 12-13g per 200ml is what i usually go for. I also like to stir to wet all of the grounds as quickly as possible during the first 50ml water (bloom stage) to ensure a more even extraction, although I know not everyone does this. Personal preference I suppose.

#17 ·
Missy said:
So less is more? I'd assumed 15g would produce more strength than 12-13
Both 15:200 & 12:200 could produce exactly the same strength if the grind for 15:200 was too coarse, but the 12:200 would have a more developed flavour.

A well developed cup at 15:200 would be a pretty strong cup of filter coffee by most folks standards (outside European, Norwegian & American typical strength preferences).

If you're still at espresso grind, and it's still watery (bitter too perhaps?) your grind may be too fine and you might be getting a weak & uneven extraction? After a point grinding finer stops the cup from developing properly and extraction drops again.

#20 ·
Weak. Watery. Maybe I should find a non espresso drinking Guinea pig to tell me if they think it's weak.

#21 ·
Your 13:1 brewed coffee will end up at around 11:1 in the cup, this is the strength range you are aiming for, so if you brew a good tasting shot, dilute to the same proportion (11:1) and you'll get an idea if this kind of strength is worth pursuing for you.

Even folk who enjoy espresso might find a well extracted brew at 13:1 a bit 'sturdy'.

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
If it is watery you'll need to grind coarser, you shouldn't grind espresso fine as that is way to fine a grind for filter coffee.

Bloom should either be approximately double the grams you use or 50g in total, and then stir it like a bandit

How you want to brew it afterwords is an individual thing, but try finding a method that result in an even flat bed.

I just tend to use a constant circular pour after the 30sec bloom. For me grinds need to be entirely covered with water in the entire brewing process, if grinds get exposed it can lead to under extraction of the exposed grinds and over-extraction of the grinds constantly covered with water.

#23 ·
I'm almost out of beans, though it's tomorrow I'm away I think I'll try and find caffeine on the go, and try again once my hakuna matata beans land. Ill try a coarser grind and a good stir.

#25 ·
PPapa said:
Are you planning to use the Super Jolly for both espresso and V60? Changing grind settings for both will not be fun, me thinks.
Yeah that has occurred to me. I have a super rubbish thing lurking at the back of a cupboard somewhere. Or I might just give up on brewing altogether for now.

#26 · (Edited by Moderator)
After suffering from a bad abyss and a course of strong antibiotics that between them seem to have screwed my taste buds up completely I am trying to recalibrate my taste buds to my V60.

@MWJB Do you advocate throwing the liquid that drops through from bloom? I have just had a couple of brews where I have done this and it certainly seems tastier.

Also MWJB, any chance of a V60 video on this thread, be interested to see you in action so to speak as the go to person for good brew information

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.