IGNORED

Bean Swap - Funky Ethiopian Natural?

jonbutler88

I got 250g of the Ethiopia Kebel Aricha as my HasBean IMM this month, and I'm worried this one might be a bit too "James Brown" for me to handle... I'm still working my way through the Jolly Bean Rocko Mountain, which is probably funky enough for me. They're not available on the HasBean site anymore, but had some glowing reviews from the funk lovers: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:viyOTsEzpqYJ:www.hasbean.co.uk/products/ethiopia-yirgacheffe-kebel-aricha-natural+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk. Here is Steve's description:

"In the cup this coffee is as funky as funky can be. One ticket for a ride on board the funky bus, please! It's loaded with blueberries and has an amazing sparkling acidity. It's a fantastically exciting and different coffee."

Does anyone fancy swapping a 250g (preferably unopened, as these are) bag of beans for this one? They were roasted on the 19th Feb so they should be good for a while yet.

Well, that showed me good, they're very nice! None of the unpleasant farmyard funk I was worried about... Note to future self, take taste descriptors with a large mountain of salt!

I still would have preferred a little more sweetness in the cup, I ground 12g at 7.2 on the EK (original dial), water at 96c, 30s bloom with 30g water, total of 200g water weight, all out in 3:35 or so. Might I be over-cooking it a little?

I'm loving this in the Brazen. One of the tastiest brews that I have had for a long time.

Thinking about placing an order for some more!

I've not been wowed by this one. Anything different in your prep compared to average beans in terms of grind or what's your ratio been? I'm sure it's me but I've only managed very mediocre taste and very little mouthfeel thus far.

Nope same as usual.

54g/900ml - 1m20s pre-soak, temp @92C. Grind is coarse sand on the Feldgrind approx. 2x round from zero point.

I have started pouring out about 400ml into a stainless steel jug and letting it sit for a few minutes. Seems to bring the fruit out big time!

BOOM! You've just been onomatopoeia'd