Sign in to follow this  
Kentboy

Hello and questions

Hi all. New to the forum - have been reading avidly for a few days. Over the years I've used a cafetiere, bialetti, v60 and now am almost solely using a porlex hand grinder and aeropress. Thinking it's about time I got myself an espresso machine but my budget will be fairly limited so I was thinking along the lines of the gaggia classic, but had a few questions

1. It sounds like the 2015/16 model isn't that great going by the opinions on here - is it really that bad and why? I've seen that the rancilio silvia is mooted as an alternative but this looks quite a lot more expensive. Are there any other decent entry level machines that pass muster in the opinion of the forum?

2. Will the porlex be ok to use with the gaggia until I can save up for a better grinder?

3. Nespresso (bear with me) do a milk heater/frother - is this any good and would it avoid the problem of having a single boiler machine and needing to wait for the temperature to transition between espresso and steam? I am mainly going to be drinking espresso/black but sometimes it's nice to have something milky and comforting. And my wife loves cappucino.

Help much appreciated.

Older Classics have a solenoid valve instead of the mechanical thing that goes wrong int he modern ones. Older pre-Philips Classics have a larger valve, and are regarded as being the better model.

Shouldn't see why a hand grinder won't work, bit of a faff though but it's better than pre-ground...

The Classic doesn't take that long to heat up to steam temp, you just have to flush it to get back down that's all. The Silvia wand mod is a useful addition though as the Gaggia one is next to useless with the crappy frother taken off. Also talking about Rancilio Silvias, they have better boilers IIRC and room inside to fit PIDs instead of hanging them off the side as with the Classics.

Classics are great starter machines though and hold their value pretty well when bought used.

Welcome along btw :)

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3 + Mahlkonig EK43 Turkish burrs + Niche

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

For the majority of users the 2015 and onwards Gaggia Classics will work trouble free for many years.

However, some users who join Coffee Forums UK develop an interest that takes them deeper into coffee and leads to tinkering / upgrading parts.

(most commonly adjusting the pressure (reducing it for a better extraction)

The older Gaggia Classics are more user serviceable.

As a starter machine for most people they are ideal and certainly better than some of the similarly priced machines available in department stores in the UK.

Home Barista Training - contact me to discuss your requirements

Thanks. I've now discovered more of the gaggia forums and the vast amount of information on here. From what it looks like a 2014 or older is the best bet for spares and upgrades so will try and find one on ebay.

I would advise caution with ebay. You could get lucky (there have been some bargains reported) but many people out there in ebay-land will not have the remotest idea about back flushing or descaling. For more peace of mind keep your eye on the for sale section here. Still not a 'guarantee' but most members will have at least read up on how to look after them. Also our member 'gaggiamanualservices' regularly has older Classics that he has refurbished to a high standard, usually with the OPV adjustment and steam wand mod already done.

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

Be patient on eBay and you can get the bargains .

My Classic and Mazzer Super jolly in as new condition cost me sub £200 a year ago ,people are hesitant to send and this can depress the price.

It did take me a couple on months to get the above though.