Wooden handles would be hopeless from a robustness and longevity perspective. Really not suited to mass market or commercial environment. Brevillle would not be silly enough to consider it. I do love the feel and look of wood but it does require care in use.

Wooden handles would be hopeless from a robustness and longevity perspective. Really not suited to mass market or commercial environment. Brevillle would not be silly enough to consider it. I do love the feel and look of wood but it does require care in use.

do you think the Sage product is in the commercial environment? I would suspect using wooden handles 3 or 4 times a day would be quite simple to maintain. It is going to depend on the top coat. If you have to apply a wax once a month, is that such a hardship?

I don't think you read my post. "Really not suited to a mass market...".

Look at the level of complaints that occur in the consumer environment and think about a wooden handle getting knocks over time. It is a recipe for complaints.

However, it is a great idea as an after-market item for people like you and me.

The problem with the Breville portafilter handle is that you can't remove the Bakelite handle. If there was a real demand someone would be offering an option.

My twopeneth - dependant on wood type and finish, Sage could supply durable wooden handles - here's one I just supplied to dfk41

WP_20161004_20_34_30_Pro.jpg

all opinions are my own I have not received any free equipment or favours from suppliers 

My twopeneth - dependant on wood type and finish, Sage could supply durable wooden handles - here's one I just supplied to dfk41

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22950[/ATTACH]

They could but they don't , and they never will .

These are great machines but mass produced to keep the price down . If you want wood and aesthetics this might not be the machine for you . If you want something that has tons of functions and is at a great price , then

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

all opinions are my own I have not received any free equipment or favours from suppliers 

Do you make this for people to purchase aftermarket? It looks fantastic!

Do you make this for people to purchase aftermarket? It looks fantastic!

Yes!

I can do handles for pretty much any machine or shape - with Sage ones the originals are glued on and as a result very problematic to remove without damage to the black bakerlite part - which in my mind is ok as they deserve a real wood handle instead - ive got a cocobolo handle ready at the moment, and some Indian rosewood in stock - although I can source most woods if there is a particular preference.

cheers jim

Cocobolo wood

WP_20161003_17_30_26_Pro.jpg

WP_20161003_17_30_10_Pro.jpg

Handles come of no problem if you hear them up

AKA Toffee chips

Handles come of no problem if you hear them up

Hi Coffeechap - I tried that, but found that the silicon adhesive on the one for dfk41 didn't respond to heat even when using a hotair gun, maybe I was not quite brave enough with the temp I was raising it to - I did remove some of the silicon and experimented with blasting it directly with heat and it just sat there, further research suggests that there are different levels of heat resistance dependant on silicon formulation, anyone here work for sage?

I think this looks great - the obvious question is, how much??? :-)

Currently drinking: Casa Espresso Charlestown v2 Espresso Roast. Marvelous!

Sage Dual Boiler | Smart Grinder Pro | 58mm Naked Portafilter | VST 18g Ridged | Bialetti French Press | Bialetti Moka Stovetops | CuisineArt DGB-600 Grind and Brew Thermal!

I think this looks great - the obvious question is, how much??? :-)

at the moment I'm pricing handles based on the following costs

Cost of wood - exotics are around £10 - native beach oak etc. are around £3-5

Making time 2 1/2 hours £20

Postage cost - £3 - £6 dependant on preferred service registered or standard.

So approx. prices £26 to £34 per handle for a made to order item

Cheers Jim

How's the situation with pf right now? I'm about to get DB and I fancy naked portafilter but there is nothing on Sage website or eBay.

How's the situation with pf right now? I'm about to get DB and I fancy naked portafilter but there is nothing on Sage website or eBay.

You're best off ringing sage as their website is poop at the moment. Due to be upgrading it soon according to the guys on the phone. It's was a really strange experience ordering something over the phone like the old days before internet shopping haha

home - Sage dual boiler & Compak E8

work - Commandante C40 and aeropress 

please don’t ask me to mod your sage portafilter

@SkateReclaimCreate

Yeah, just got an email from them. Button responsible for putting it into basket doesn't work :D

Anyway, gaggia portafilter should work, just the "funny angle" it will be situated on. Can someone explain?

Reviving an old thread here I know but my Oracle Bakelite handle has fractured after 3.5 years knocking out and I am loathed to buy a whole new portafilter. I see from earlier in the thread that @jimbojohn55 makes rather nice wooden replacements. Seems I can’t send a PM until I have made 5 posts so hoping he might see this.

Cheers.

Reviving an old thread here I know but my Oracle Bakelite handle has fractured after 3.5 years knocking out and I am loathed to buy a whole new portafilter. I see from earlier in the thread that @jimbojohn55 makes rather nice wooden replacements. Seems I can’t send a PM until I have made 5 posts so hoping he might see this.

Cheers.

I have got a cocobolo handle (very dark red / brown) available if your interested? cheers Jim

I have got a cocobolo handle (very dark red / brown) available if your interested? cheers Jim

Thanks for the reply Jim. Would be looking for something more towards black. Do you still make them?

Cheers

Nick