I have read back in the archives but cannot find a definite answer to this... Does a standard E61 Portafilter fit the Sage DB? I fancy a nice wooden-handled PF so unless I can unscrew the bakelite handle from the stock PF and replace it I will have to get an E61 replacement. Anyone tried fitting a non-Sage PF to the DB?

Cheers

Currently drinking: Casa Espresso Charlestown v2 Espresso Roast. Marvelous!

Sage Dual Boiler | Smart Grinder Pro | 58mm Naked Portafilter | VST 18g Ridged | Bialetti French Press | Bialetti Moka Stovetops | CuisineArt DGB-600 Grind and Brew Thermal!

The one from my ECM, which I think is standard E61 doesn't fit the Sage DB. They seem to have different lugs (if that's the word) and maybe slight difference in size of outer side of the PF.

Everything my heart could desire (more or less). . .

https://cupperjoe.com

The one from my ECM, which I think is standard E61 doesn't fit the Sage DB. They seem to have different lugs (if that's the word) and maybe slight difference in size of outer side of the PF.

Thanks - that's what I thought.

Sage Dual Boiler | Smart Grinder Pro | 58mm Naked Portafilter | VST 18g Ridged | Bialetti French Press | Bialetti Moka Stovetops | CuisineArt DGB-600 Grind and Brew Thermal!

Me, too, I'd love to add a custom handle to the PF, so let us know if you figure it out!

Sage DB, Sage Grinder, Sage knock box (boring, boring, sorry) but new Knock heft 585

Me, too, I'd love to add a custom handle to the PF, so let us know if you figure it out!

Will do - although I already have 'knock heft envy' so I may keep it quiet, lol. Just kidding. If we can unscrew the handle from the PF head then we can swop them out...look here - it is obviously do-able:

How to remove a Portafilter Handle: https://youtu.be/S2xn30dlSJ8

Portafilter HandleRepair:

Who is going first?!?!?

Will do - although I already have 'knock heft envy' so I may keep it quiet, lol. Just kidding. If we can unscrew the handle from the PF head then we can swop them out...look here - it is obviously do-able:

How to remove a Portafilter Handle: https://youtu.be/S2xn30dlSJ8

Portafilter HandleRepair:

Who is going first?!?!?

Husband is a keen woodturner, I'll see if I can get him interested in the project....

Sage DB, Sage Grinder, Sage knock box (boring, boring, sorry) but new Knock heft 585

Husband is a keen woodturner, I'll see if I can get him interested in the project....

Any luck? :D

Google it. Getting the handle off of a Sage pf is not for the faint hearted. There is every chance you will much it up and have to buy a new pf. It can be done and I have seen some pimped out Sage pf online. But even as someone who is a huge fan of Sage machines, they have a certain utilitarian look to them. I honestly think putting a fancy turned exotic hardwood on the pf is trying to make a silk purse out of a pig's ear.

Home | Sage Dual Boiler | Hario V60 Decanter | French Press | Brasilia RR45OD | Lido 2 | RB & MBK Tampers |

Office | Sowden Joe 4 cup | Rhino Handgrinder

Oh and E61. Not compatible at all. The closest is a Gaggia but while it fits the handle ends up sticking out at a strange angle.

I know on the face of it, the pf are very expensive but they are high quality stainless steel. Check out the price for a similar pf on the LM GS3. Its not £60 :)

Home | Sage Dual Boiler | Hario V60 Decanter | French Press | Brasilia RR45OD | Lido 2 | RB & MBK Tampers |

Google it. Getting the handle off of a Sage pf is not for the faint hearted. There is every chance you will much it up and have to buy a new pf. It can be done and I have seen some pimped out Sage pf online. But even as someone who is a huge fan of Sage machines, they have a certain utilitarian look to them. I honestly think putting a fancy turned exotic hardwood on the pf is trying to make a silk purse out of a pig's ear.

Oh and E61. Not compatible at all. The closest is a Gaggia but while it fits the handle ends up sticking out at a strange angle.

I know on the face of it, the pf are very expensive but they are high quality stainless steel. Check out the price for a similar pf on the LM GS3. Its not £60 :)

I hear you...I have my new naked PF to play with now but it is a shame we can't see a little walnut on our DB PFs...

One other unrelated point @ridland - do you use the stock basket? if so what dose do you use? 21g? Cheers!

@AMCD300 I use VST baskets now but the stock are pretty darn close the the OE baskets. How much I dosed was (is) dependent upon the coffee. I definitely was able to dose up to 20g without problem.

@AMCD300 I use VST baskets now but the stock are pretty darn close the the OE baskets. How much I dosed was (is) dependent upon the coffee. I definitely was able to dose up to 20g without problem.

I am using 18g in the OE basket at the moment and not getting the best from it (I suspect) so I will try 20g and see how that goes as a 'starter for 10'. Thanks...

@acmd300

Hmm.. not sure how this will work? He asked if anyone has a source for threaded bushing (sleeve) and hex head machine screw to fit a wooden handle onto a portafilter?

@acmd300

Hmm.. not sure how this will work? He asked if anyone has a source for threaded bushing (sleeve) and hex head machine screw to fit a wooden handle onto a portafilter?

Not me I'm afraid, which is a shame as it sounds like a fun weekend workshop project. I wonder if anyone else out there has done a similar PF mod?

I'm sure I have seen it done on the Home Barista boards in the USA.

Just a heads up - the Sage handle is a PITA to remove - the reason is that it is not threaded - it is a push fit of a unique profile - round with two keyways running down the metal tang !

the second issue is that it is held on with a type of silicon adhesive that is heat proof so you cant heat up the portafilter to remove it or twist it off.

currently I am trying some siliKill silicon remover poured down the inside of the handle to try and degrade the silicon from the rear - will update with pictures once done , hopefully!

keep calm and grind flat

God loves a trier, Jimbojohn!!

its coming off one way or another- but will try and persuade it off first by dangling a proper wooden handle in front of it!

keep calm and grind flat

That worked for me. Strangely, the coffee machine also changed, so I've now got a wooden handle and a VBM single group commercial machine!

here is a Sage porta filter with the handle removed - its not for the feint of heart

WP_20160927_14_00_51_Pro.jpg

WP_20160927_13_58_00_Pro.jpg

keep calm and grind flat

Great piece of cast metal work though - at least we know it is not made of cheap rubbish. Now the question is, who can get this 'all wooded up'?

Great piece of cast metal work though - at least we know it is not made of cheap rubbish. Now the question is, who can get this 'all wooded up'?

I know a man....... !

interestingly the handle is made from bakerlite, which is why it has a rubber washer at the end to stop the bakerlite edge chipping- I think -

sage should make them all from wood to add a touch of class,:D

keep calm and grind flat

interestingly the handle is made from bakerlite, which is why it has a rubber washer at the end to stop the bakerlite edge chipping- I think -

sage should make them all from wood to add a touch of class,:D

I agree completely. Still - it's a bloody good machine so I'm not complaining :-)