StuartS

Eureka Mignon Deep Clean

No doubt some will already know this but....

If you want to clean your Mignon thoroughly, prise (comes off easily) the badge off the front to reveal a fixing screw. Remove the screw and lift off the front plate to reveal the discharge chute internals. You can thoroughly clean out the chute including the plastic guide - just remember how it fits before removing.

This should help minimise clumping as the coffee grinds do build up in this area, restricting the outlet.

ECM Technika IV Profi (WT-WC), ECM S-Automatik 64, Aeropress, Aergrind

Thanks for the tip @StuartS !

Just took mine off - just with a finger nail if anyone is nervous about this. Will get the screwdriver out tomorrow and give it a good clean as I was going to take the top off for a clean as well. Don't need a screwdriver for that though - I replaced the screws with Allen bolt socket caps which are much more preferable :-)

ECM Barista, Rocket Fausto

Are you using the Mignon Mk2 with the timer control on the side? Are there any parts that fall off when removing the front plate? Presumably it's best to do so with the grinder lying on its back.

No doubt some will already know this but....

If you want to clean your Mignon thoroughly, prise (comes off easily) the badge off the front to reveal a fixing screw. Remove the screw and lift off the front plate to reveal the discharge chute internals. You can thoroughly clean out the chute including the plastic guide - just remember how it fits before removing.

This should help minimise clumping as the coffee grinds do build up in this area, restricting the outlet.

Nothing falls off but the front switch is attached with wires so don't let the front plate fall - just rest it on something.

Thanks StuartS. My concern is that in the Mk1 version removal of the screw behind the badge causes the matching nut to fall off inside the grinder, in other words the screw is not screwed into the body itself but is tightened by an internal nut. From what you say, in the Mk2 version the screw is mounted directly on the body and can thus be easily retightened, correct?

Yes you are correct. Remove badge, unscrew revealed screw, assembly will detach from grinder. There is no nut holding the screw it screws in to a threaded hole in the body, an easy job to thoroughly clean the shute.

Eureka Mignon, Rocket R58. That's it!!!

Mine is a mk2.

There is no such thing as a Mark One and Two! When retailers order these from Eureka, they can have any variants on a theme, such as timer switch or no timer switch. It is a bit like the Expobar Brewtus. The Mark 1,2 and 3 were called this. The Mark 4 ran into copyright problems in the UK so it changed to the Leva, even though most still call it Brewtus

Thanks again StuartS, this will allow me to do a good job cleaning the Mignon which, by the way, I think is an excellent grinder.

I was deep cleaning mine yesterday and I have removed a piece of plastic from the exit chute..seems like it was not only catching and directing the grinds but also blocking two of the four exit holes..looks like there are less clumps now and coffee seems to fall out freely

_20160614_063359.jpg

Edited by Stanic

The peculiarity of espresso beverage is the simultaneous presence of three dispersed phases coexisting within a matrix, namely a concentrated solution of salts, acids, sugars, caffeine and many other hydrophilic substances. These phases are: an emulsion of oil droplets, a suspension of solid particles and an effervescence of gas bubbles, which evolves into a foam.

MildredM's towels, joey24dirt's tamper, Norvin's dosing ring, Portaspresso Rossa PG Air, Aergrind, IMS baskets, Hario Syphon TC3, Java Maestro dripper, Chemex, French press, Gnali & Zani moka pot, Bonavita kettle & scales, BWT Bestmax Premium

Why do you think it was there in the first place.......just wondering! I have the mk2. It's only a few weeks old and just serves me a single espresso each day so I don't suppose i'm ready for a deep clean yet?

I do however wonder what other Mignon users do as a cleaning routine and how frequently?

ACS Minima, Niche Zero and a VST 18g ridged basket.

Handy thread to bounce back to the top as I've just bought a Mignon, so cleaning one is a subject I'll explore sometime soon no doubt... and here's my starter for 10 ;)

Handy thread to bounce back to the top as I've just bought a Mignon, so cleaning one is a subject I'll explore sometime soon no doubt... and here's my starter for 10 ;)

hopefully you will explore it monthly or every 2 months!

My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

hopefully you will explore it monthly or every 2 months!

Practical and witty ;)

Yes you are correct. Remove badge, unscrew revealed screw, assembly will detach from grinder. There is no nut holding the screw it screws in to a threaded hole in the body, an easy job to thoroughly clean the shute.

I may give this a try soon. What about the little pressure plate on the mk2. Is that not attached to something behind it?

In my infinite wisdom I decided to take the front off of my mk1 without paying attention. This piece of metal fell out and I can't work out how it was previously attached. Can anyone help?

a584fc07bb074765440bc9f72371b10b.jpg

Edited by AliG
Typo

It looks similar, but not quite identical, to the 'bean stopper' that's fitted in to the exit of the bean hopper on my MK 2. The tab that you slide in to allow the removal of the bean hopper while it still has beans in. Not sure how that would have ended up on the inside of your Mignon though so maybe not ?

It looks similar, but not quite identical, to the 'bean stopper' that's fitted in to the exit of the bean hopper on my MK 2. The tab that you slide in to allow the removal of the bean hopper while it still has beans in. Not sure how that would have ended up on the inside of your Mignon though so maybe not ?

It does look similar, but it's not it. It somehow fits into the chute, and I think it guides the grounds out. The grinder works without it, but with much, much more retention.

I see. In that case I'm afraid I can't help with this one. I've never taken the front off mine and wouldn't want to. I normally clean it by just taking the top off the burr chamber (brush out and wipe clean the burr set) and cleaning the grinds path through using our 'Henry' and a small brush.

Hopefully someone else here might know ?

Hope this helps. I believe it shows your part and where it goes but it does appear to be joined to something else 2310.0027:

Edit: tried to post better resolution image but it's not working for me so here's the link: http://www.1st-line.com/store/pc/catalog/Eureka/diagrams/MCI.jpg

This definitely shows it. Looks like there are at least two variants 2310.0022

c025e81c58ebf23f9a90a61c424ce7f0.jpg

Edited by Obnic

Espresso: Ceado E92 (modified for single dose); Vesuvius; VST baskets and refractometer.

Other: Aeropress, Sowden and Alessi Moka Pot; Mazzer Robur doser with Auber timer; Mazzer Mini E; Expobar Leva Dual Boiler

Thanks, Obnic, that's really helpful. Will have another look tonight.

I see. In that case I'm afraid I can't help with this one. I've never taken the front off mine and wouldn't want to. I normally clean it by just taking the top off the burr chamber (brush out and wipe clean the burr set) and cleaning the grinds path through using our 'Henry' and a small brush.

Hopefully someone else here might know ?

Well I think you are right there. I did take the front off mine and gave it a good clean.......but this just weakens a very flimsy solder connection behind the "on" plate. And sure enough eventually one of the two wire came away from the solder.

This part of the Mignon mk.2 is poorly designed indeed. So I won't be taking off the front plate again for sure.