aaronb

Modern Standard (Better Supermarket Beans)

Here's a recent interview with the Owner of Modern Standard coffee:

http://londonsbestcoffee.com/news/coffee-and-interview-with-modern-standard-s-lynsey-harley

Whilst I'm not particularly interested in a roaster positioning itself somewhere between commercial and specialty I did think it was interesting they are retailing through Sainsbury's, it's surely a better alternative than the other coffee available in Supermarkets (except maybe those stocking Union) if you need some emergency beans.

Londinium I, Mahlkönig Vario, Hario Skerton, Chemex 1-3 Cup.

I brought a pack of the espresso beans yesterday as I'm waiting for a delivery from Rave, so it was more an emergency purchase. £4.50 for 227g.

First impressions were that they were better than normal supermarket stale beans but we'll see how the week goes with them. Hand to grind them finer than I would normally but ok to dig yourself out of a hole. Will be interesting to see how they come through on milk drinks.

A machine, a grinder & some beans

Not bad pricing. Is there a roast date on the package anywhere? What were the beans?

I wouldn't use grind as measure of quality, a recent bag of beans from Workshop (11 days post roast) required one of the finest grinds I've needed in a long time, the next bag from a different roaster (around 11 days post roast again) is the opposite to get a decent shot.

No roasting date that I could see and the beans were just described as 'espresso' unfortunately.

A machine, a grinder & some beans

No roasting date that I could see and the beans were just described as 'espresso' unfortunately.

There should still be Best Before date though? Might help with guesstimating the roast date.

First impressions were that they were better than normal supermarket stale beans

No roasting date that I could see

There should still be Best Before date though? Might help with guesstimating the roast date.

No roast date doesnt bode well.

How can they be determined as fresher than "stale" supermarket beans, which all have a best before on

That's really weird, as Jumbo ratty says I dont think they can proclaim themselves as in-between commodity and specialty without providing some basic information. I'd expect origin country(ies) and best before date at least, ideally also roast date and processing method.

Hi. I'm new to this forum. Bought a bag of modern standard momentum blend recently and put them through my porlex/aeropress this morning. Not bad, but not great either. Bag has the following on it: roasted by, batch code, origin, and best before is stated as 29th january 2017, but I don't know if you can deduce the roasting date from this. i've emailed them to try and find out how long it takes for them to get from roaster to shelf.

As I've mentioned before, Booths Supermarket (a Northern one, sorry!), have their own selection of beans. Before I discovered the joys of Rave, Hasbean, Casa Espresso etc. Etc. I bought some Rocko Mountain Reserve from them. At the time I remember thinking it was pretty good. All bags have a roast date on too. I think they were £3.30. Worth a punt if you've run out. Or just to keep in stock to try to convince "instant drinkers" in to changing their ways!

P.S: When I'm close to running out & have forgotten to re-order I just give my local roaster, Casa Espresso, a ring. He usually has something available the same day for me to pick up on my way home from work!

best before is stated as 29th january 2017, but I don't know if you can deduce the roasting date from this. i've emailed them to try and find out how long it takes for them to get from roaster to shelf.

Given the date I imagine the best before is a year after roast

Everything my heart could desire (more or less). . .

https://cupperjoe.com

As I've mentioned before, Booths Supermarket (a Northern one, sorry!), have their own selection of beans. Before I discovered the joys of Rave, Hasbean, Casa Espresso etc. Etc. I bought some Rocko Mountain Reserve from them. At the time I remember thinking it was pretty good. All bags have a roast date on too. I think they were £3.30. Worth a punt if you've run out. Or just to keep in stock to try to convince "instant drinkers" in to changing their ways!

Yeah I knew about this but for those of us down south Sainsbury's are plentiful whilst I don't think I have ever seen a real Booths!

Coincidentally, I have just got back from Booths. Seems they are now stocking a fair few varieties of Union beans & they're currently on offer at £4 a bag. Roast dates on too.

Lynsey at modern standard got back to me and yes, roasting date is a year before best before date. The beans are good but not blowing my mind.

Booths is the Waitrose for the flat cap and whippet brigade ;)

Home | Sage Dual Boiler | Hario V60 Decanter | French Press | Brasilia RR45OD | Lido 2 | RB & MBK Tampers |

Office | Sowden Joe 4 cup | Rhino Handgrinder

Booths is the Waitrose for the flat cap and whippet brigade ;)

Petfectly summed up! They have the best range of real ale out of any other supermarket too!

Seems Modern Standard are an Essex based roaster (yay!). Their website is quite informative about the beans origin and tasting notes.

http://www.modernstandardcoffee.com/coffee/

Rocket Giotto Evo, Mythos, Torr x 2, Rapha Chris King Tamper (coz they are cool), VST's, Hausgrind, Airgrind, Hario Slim, Chemex, Aeropress, Oomph, Puck Puck, Bialetti, Black Acaia scales, Acia Lunas,fresh beans

Blah Blah Blah - it makes coffee

I saw these the other day, the espresso blend was beans but the other one was already ground so I didn't buy. I once picked up some Sainsbury's taste the difference Tanzanian for £3 (special offer) and that was pretty good already as an emergency buy

I'm drinking the momento blend from a clever coffee dripper...

It's little roasty but I'm getting some nice sweetness and mild acidity, especially as it cools down.

I picked up an espresso blend from Whole Foods in london - the beans were freshly roasted so I thought it would be safe to buy supermarket beans but unfortunately the taste is not so great! All the other coffees stocked in supermarkets seem to be at least 2-3 months old!

These supply hej a coffee shop in London the owner things highly of them the do have some special beans from time to time. The are based in tilbury they said that u can collect direct from there as well I am guessing the super market stuff if not there best. I have never tried them though

I have purchased Modern Standard whole beans in my local Sainsburys in Aberdeen. On the back of the pack there is a "Roasted On" date as well as the name of the roaster! Purchased mine last week, roast date is 08/09/17 (roasted by Zak). Tasting notes on front of bag (which is a good quality, vented & resealable). I am no expert and certainly not a connoisseur yet but they taste good to me. Will post a photo of the bag if I can.