bongo

Running costs

Anyone know the electric running cost of their machines? If so post the details:

Ghe sboro fioi!

Not enough to worry about it

BOOM! You've just been onomatopoeia'd

My machine is already hot but it is no problem to set up a meter on that.

Longer term I could probably break that down to use during the first hour then the next 23 hours showing any spikes when used for pulling shots.

What would be useful to you?

I've not noticed an increase in my electric bill. My machines only probably on for 5-10 mins most days.

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

Suspect it's a drop in the ocean compared to what I spend on coffee and unauthorised covert equipment purchases :)

Profitec 700 | Compak E8

You can buy power usage meters cheaply if you are bothered (about £10 from Maplin).

Londinium I, Mahlkönig Vario, Hario Skerton, Chemex 1-3 Cup.

According to the Wemo Insight, my Isomac Tea costs about £1.06 per month to run. It's on roughly 1-2hours a day and today for example it was on for 2hours 6minutes and cost 6p

:coffee:Marcus

Isomac Tea + Nuova Simonelli Mythos+ VST 18g + Torr Brass Goldfinger Tamper

[ Gaggia Coffee Deluxe + Gaggia MDF Grinder + Gaggia 'Gold' Classic + Motta Convexed Tamper ]

According to the Wemo Insight, my Isomac Tea costs about £1.06 per month to run. It's on roughly 1-2hours a day and today for example it was on for 2hours 6minutes and cost 6p

Very similar figures to me for same sort of usage (except weekends when it's on for around 8 hours)

Rocket Giotto Evo, Mythos, Torr x 2, Rapha Chris King Tamper (coz they are cool), VST's, Hausgrind, Airgrind, Hario Slim, Chemex, Aeropress, Oomph, Puck Puck, Bialetti, Black Acaia scales, Acia Lunas,fresh beans

Blah Blah Blah - it makes coffee

About the cost of a cup of coffee at a coffeeshop (at most)

Home Barista Training - contact me to discuss your requirements

I've been wondering how much juice my R58 uses given that it's on for 2h every weekday and 8h each day I'm at home on a weekend. I've never worried about it enough to measure, and haven't noticed my bills go up but glad to know it's pennies a day.

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

4442c74b73fff351949ee0ad3d6d3328.jpg

Swear I didn't turn on my machine for 22 seconds at any point today...

Wega Mini Nova (refurbed) - Fiorenzato F5 - Made By Knock Heft 585 tamper - 17g La Marzocco Precision Basket

probably just reading the last heating cycle when the thermostat kicked in

There must have been a ghost in your house at 4.53 then! I'm not sure how much use you'd get from 22 seconds of power!

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

If it becomes an issue maybe you should experiment with cold brew.

Ian

Minima ma ma ma Eureka Zenith

Thanks for bringing this up, haven' thought about it, but now will have it in mind and will consider calculating it (or at least will try to).

Suspect it's a drop in the ocean compared to what I spend on coffee and unauthorised covert equipment purchases :)

So the refractometer is a public secret then? :)

Swear I didn't turn on my machine for 22 seconds at any point today...

Have you reconfigured the "on/standby threshold" value on the WeMo ? If not then I suspect this simply the last time the heating elements kicked to keep the machine hot. I seem to remember the initial value is actually set quite high.. possibly something like 8watt? The WeMo Insight uses this value to decide if the machine is actually ON or in STANDBY. I have reduced mine down to the minimum value of 2watt so that even the times when the heating elements are off the machine is still "seen" as being ON.

Screenshot_2016-02-08-09-10-01_zpsppdaqqf7.png

[ Gaggia Coffee Deluxe + Gaggia MDF Grinder + Gaggia 'Gold' Classic + Motta Convexed Tamper ]

Tell me to bugger off and mind my own business if you want but...

I changed my supplier a few months back. The best price per Kw/h I could find at the time was £0.1035 per unit. This has since dropped to £0.0955.

Admittedly I had never heard of GBEnergy and their standing charge per day is higher but at my usage it is of little consequence.

If you are paying £0.145 it may be worth checking if there are any better options for you.

Have you reconfigured the "on/standby threshold" value on the WeMo ? If not then I suspect this simply the last time the heating elements kicked to keep the machine hot. I seem to remember the initial value is actually set quite high.. possibly something like 8watt? The WeMo Insight uses this value to decide if the machine is actually ON or in STANDBY. I have reduced mine down to the minimum value of 2watt so that even the times when the heating elements are off the machine is still "seen" as being ON.

Screenshot_2016-02-08-09-10-01_zpsppdaqqf7.png

Good tip! Just changed it.

Thanks.

Wega Mini Nova (refurbed) - Fiorenzato F5 - Made By Knock Heft 585 tamper - 17g La Marzocco Precision Basket

Fair point well made grumpydaddy. There used to be other kickbacks associated with my supplier like getting 1 months average payment back as cashback at the end of the year but that stopped when the government decided everything was far to complicated for us to all understand and decided to force everyone make things simpler. I also have our solar panel Fits payments tied to our supplier so if I move it means they won't pay direct to my bank and I'll end up with a cheque that I then have to make a special trip into town to pay in. I don't have any local branches near home or work so that's my Saturday morning gone. I think last time I checked I could have saved around £100-150 per year by changing but that was with a penalty for leaving in the first 18months. Having said that though you're absolutely right I should really be having another look around to check on the cheapest deals again :)

Tell me to bugger off and mind my own business if you want but...

I changed my supplier a few months back. The best price per Kw/h I could find at the time was £0.1035 per unit. This has since dropped to £0.0955.

Admittedly I had never heard of GBEnergy and their standing charge per day is higher but at my usage it is of little consequence.

If you are paying £0.145 it may be worth checking if there are any better options for you.

marcuswar you are one slick dude with that cup of coffee icon (top-left corner of your Moto G screenshot) from the Tasker script you wrote! [emoji6]

marcuswar you are one slick dude with that cup of coffee icon (top-left corner of your Moto G screenshot) from the Tasker script you wrote! [emoji6]

LoL.. I forgot that was even there!

You have reminded me that I need to pull my finger out and get the latest beta app out to the beta testing team. :)