IGNORED

£180 Mazzer SJ, doserless funnel and lens hood

2014 auto model, recently acquired, but surplus now that I have made my mind up on which grinder I want to keep.

Also included is the free choice of a laser etched adjustment gauge currently available in gloss black, silver mirror, matt silver, grey, smoke mirror and of course the red (You don't have to keep my terrible red colour scheme!)

The grinds tray is a quick creation that serves its purpose, but could be a little bigger. It rests against the grinders feet but does not clip in place.

The lid for the lens hood is laser cut and an exact fit so creates a good seal for blowing out the exit chute. (I have a spare in electric blue that the buyer can have instead of red :p)

The doser counter had just under 4900 when I picked it up, so would assume the burrs have had either 40kg or 120kg through them, depending if the counter is on its first trip around or not. The burrs felt acceptable to me and considering they are supposed to last about 400kg I have not changed them. When cleaning out the grind chamber I removed the burrs, but didn't remove the lower burr carrier.

The doser and associated switches have been removed and replaced with a fudge funnel, but all parts are included if you want to convert back. The doser is missing the finger guard and front tamper plus associated screws. I cleaned the doser parts, but did not remove the lower vanes as I assume the funnel is going to be used instead.

The grinder has a few notable chips at the front corners, plus a number of random little chips around the body that don't photograph well and are not that visible.

For some strange reason an extra hole has been tapped between the portafilter fork holes. The original forks are missing, so I have attached the prototype I created (but never fully evolved). It holds the portafilter nicely under the funnel outlet, but the portafilter is held at an angle. If the laser cutter gets working again soon, I will make a different version of the forks.

Asking £180 with collection in London, right near Notting Hill Gate tube station.

IMG_20160206_162348.jpg

IMG_20160206_160409.jpg

IMG_20160206_160437.jpg

IMG_20160206_160455.jpg

IMG_20160206_160631.jpg

Edited by timmyjj21
Adjust price from 200 to 180

Morning Tim, Hope you are well! I am definitely interested in this just trying to shift some items (the sage grinder mainly). If this isn't snapped up before then I will be straight on here.

Thanks again for the Classic it working perfectly! My Gaggia baby is still sitting around, I have put it on for sale but if I sell the grinder and haven't shifted the Gaggia I'd be happy for you to have it if you wanted?

Thanks @Samwillson101 I haven't played with a Gaggia Baby before and happy to have a look at it! I will have 2 more grinders ready to sell soon, once I finish playing with them. Currently mucking about with a LaCimbali Max hybrid conical/flat burrs and considering how to lasercut bits to make it doserless.

I'm interested now that I know I can buy the standard forks (each to their own but Red?!) :p

Out of interest, why replace the forks?

Also, any idea of the background of this machine, did it come from a cafe?

I'm interested now that I know I can buy the standard forks (each to their own but Red?!) :p

Out of interest, why replace the forks?

Also, any idea of the background of this machine, did it come from a cafe?

Standard forks dont hold the PF in place unsupported do they?

The grinder didn't come with any forks, so I made some out of scrap acrylic. Red was on hand, so thats what I use for most of my prototyping. I just made a black set more typical of the standard forks so will add a photo when I get home. Of course you can choose a different adjustment gauge colour. My forks hold the portafilter under the funnel while the standard forks will not, as the doser outlet is further away from the case. The red ones had a bit of vibration so the portafilter would move a bit if not being held, plus I think the black case protector upright piece was cause issues with static.

The grinder came from an unknown source and seller was particularly useless at providing any info. It has an extra hole tapped into the case where the portafilter would screw in and a few unimportant bits of the doser were missing, so 'something' has been done to it.

I assessed it as being in nice mechanical condition, so took a punt on it and cleaned it up, checked its internals, then used it with the funnel for a while to compare how it went to a doser. I really liked my Ceado E7 despite it having a doser, so plan to clear out my Mazzers and just have the Ceado.

IMG_20160215_200941.jpg

Edited by timmyjj21
  • About
    Coffee Forums UK is the UK's premier coffee forum Started in June 2008 by Glenn Watson, we now have more than 24000 mainly UK based members, and welcome more than 3000 members and visitors from around the world each day! With strategic investment and digital expertise from the Jackson Lockhart team (Tait Pollack and Adam Bateman), we are taking Coffee Forums UK to the next level, and are delighted to share the journey with you.

New Members:
    We are often referred to as the friendliest forum on the web and we look forward to welcoming you onboard. Please read our Terms of Use. We stick by them, existing members please familiarise yourselves with them.

Advertising

Coffee Forums Media Kit

Click Here To Buy Advertising Space 
    £100 p/m when paid yearly, up-to: 690000 banner impressions per month!

Donate / Sponsor

Get Your Supporter Badge Today (per year)

image.png

Coffee Forums Logo