Sign in to follow this  
Oaky

How do i replace a Ulka EX5 Vibration Pump, Izzo, Vivi PID HX

Hi

Having read Dave C informative maintenance guide on his wiki site 'coffee time' I plan to replace my six-year-old pump.

However it looks like I may need to carefully remove the boiler to get to it, has anyone done this before and what steps are involved? The pump still is able to make a good coffee but don't want it failing on me. My other concern is that some of the joints on the boiler might be seized with all the moisture and age.

These are the tools and consumables i think I need:

Adjustable spanner, screw drivers, rag, cable ties and Molykote 111

Appreciate any guidance or tips.

Take pictures of everything you unscrew before you unscrew it .. That way when you come to put it back together you know exactly how it should go.

regarding the vivi ... It is possible to replace the pump without touching the boiler, BUT it all depends on your tool set and how dexterious your fingers are. It is easier to move the boiler. If I remember correctly when I insulated mine, I unscrewed the mounts but left everything attached to the boiler and then just rotated the boiler out the way (vivi on its side)

good luck

Izzo Vivi, La Pavoni Europiccola, Microcasa a Leva, Macap MC4, Lido E .... and a preference for the Dark Side

@DaveC

I should say I haven't read your guide, but it is really advisable to replace the pump just because it might fail at some point?

@Okay - It may be an interesting process to go through anyway, but I would have thought keeping one at hand may be a good idea (they are so cheap) but replacing it before it shows any signs of breaking down seems strange to me.

@DaveC

I should say I haven't read your guide, but it is really advisable to replace the pump just because it might fail at some point?

@Okay - It may be an interesting process to go through anyway, but I would have thought keeping one at hand may be a good idea (they are so cheap) but replacing it before it shows any signs of breaking down seems strange to me.

I completely agree, replace only what needs replacing. If it's working fine, leave it alone. Also I am pretty sure you can replace the pump without removing the boiler. Undo one end, pull tube of the other and remove electrical connectors. Pump is then simply cradled between 2 rubber mounts and can be manoeuvred free. If that's too difficult, you might even fine you can open up from the bottom. They changed the Vivi a little over the years.

You really don't want to remove the boiler!

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

I just replace mine on my

Isomac

Alba, vey easy. All I have to do was remove both boiler support brackets, this let me get access to the pump, onlt two pipes and two wires, simples.

Isomac Alba

Elektra Grinder

Flat Whites only baby.

I just replace mine on my

Isomac

Alba, very easy. All I have to do was remove both boiler support brackets, this let me get access to the pump, only two pipes and two wires, simples.

Thank you all very much for your advice. I will replace it and report back if it makes a difference.

However it looks like I may need to carefully remove the boiler to get to it,

Izzo Vivi, La Pavoni Europiccola, Microcasa a Leva, Macap MC4, Lido E .... and a preference for the Dark Side