Sign in to follow this  
jonbutler88

BWT Mg2 Filters?

Hi All,

I've been trying desperately for a while to not dip my toe into trying to mix bottled waters for the "ideal" brew, and instead settled on using Waitrose Essential with my Aeropress. However, I've just received a Kalita Wave, and after working out how many bottles I'll go through a week it's time to consider alternatives to bottled. While chatting to Chris from Has Bean, he mentioned that tap water put through a BWT Mg2 filter is pretty good, so I wondered if anyone here uses these and can shed some light on how good they are for pour over brewing? I've seen it mentioned in a couple of the other water-related threads but no indication of if it's any good...

To pre-empt some responses, I suspect it will depend a lot on the tap water I'm starting with before filtering... Does anyone have recommendations for a kit to test the current properties of my tap water to get an idea of what needs to be tweaked?

Cheers,

Jon

Brazen | V60 | EK43LE

Currently drinking: The Barn LSOL

I use one for filtering tap water for drinking and making tea. Doesn't make great coffee for me. I haven't tested my tap water so don't know what i've got to begin with. Bottled water is much better if you know what to look for/blend. Waitrose Ess is decent.

Remember to factor in the cost of the filters and that they become less efficient as time goes on - you are not getting identical filtration on Day 1 as Day 30.

If you want to test your water you'll need a TDS meter and need to measure General Hardness and Carbonate Hardness (various kits available from aqua marine shops). Ideally you'll want to know Calcium and Magnesium levels. Some of these kits will give you Calcium but Magnesium in freshwater IIRC is not easy to measure. I've not used any kits myself but if you search on the bottled water threads there is some good info in there.

Your local water authority might specify what is in your tap water if you are lucky (try their website)

If your water is very hard you can try boiling it first then filtering it.

I think you come under Severn Trent W. A., you can obtain a rough guide from their website or telephone and ask for more detailed report. I think your water is fairly hard. Although the filter you mention does add too improve taste you may need to remove more of the hardness.

There is a thread on water and I believe test kits are mentioned.

Have a word with Xpenno:good: Water man

The API GH/KH test kits are good, with many suppliers on ebay. If your water is moderately hard then the BWT jug should do a good job with a new filter. The filter will lose it's ability to reduce hardness fairly rapidly, but you can keep track of that with the test kit.

We have super soft water, literally no KH buffering or alkalinity. I am about to try the Mg2+ cartridge to see if it improves the water.

Then I am going all in and trying Spencer's water voodoo - http://grindscience.com/2015/08/making-water-for-coffee-sodastream-method-best-recipe-so-far/

Profitec 700 | Compak E8

Evesham water fairly hard and will be close to what you have in Cheltenham. Bwt jug does a reasonable job for no more than 3 weeks for us (mg2+) but is a way away from the clarity you'll get from Waitrose or Waitrose mix etc etc ( see the brewed threads for more detail)

You could get a jug and filter for around 10-12£ on amazon a while back or if you have a brita jug then the bwt filter drop straight in , so could in theory try it out for less than a fiver.

Will be a huge improvement on straight or even brita jug water though, just not quite as good as bottled or spencers special water mentioned elsewhere.

Hope of help.

John

Edited by johnealey
replace autospelling of bwt!

Roasters: BB Dalian Amazon 1kg -Power contolled GeneCafe 101- 92Kg of greens - Tonino

Espresso: Londinium L2 - Gaggia G105 - Silvia v3 Mr.Shades PID'-d - Faema E92a2 (Project) - MyPressi Twist - VST baskets / Motta Europa (350/500/750ml) - Torr Ti 58.55 & Goldfinger flat 58.4 TiBlack, Pullman 51.4 - Acaia x2

Grinders: Flats: Compak R120 - NS Mythos plus Conics: Compak K10PB - Lido 3

Brewed: Behmor Brazen - Moccamaster KBGT471 - Aeropress - V60 - Cona model D - Clever - Mizudashi - 8-10 + 6 cup Chemex

Water: BWT Bestmax V Refrac: VST III

and a Puq Press not in a pear tree..

Thanks everyone for the responses. I got a very detailed breakdown of my tap water from Severn Trent, and it's pretty clear it would be a pain to get it up to scratch. I just brewed my first Kalita with a Volvic / Waitrose mix and it was definitely the best tasting cup(s) I've had from it so far, so that's sealed the deal for staying on bottled.

Brazen | V60 | EK43LE

Currently drinking: The Barn LSOL