Sign in to follow this  
longshaw

Pod Refills (Dolce Gusto)

Hi All,

I love single origin coffee from independent roasters. My office desk is full of various coffee paraphernalia v60, areopress, scales etc. (the list goes on)

I've read the James Hoffmann blog on Nespresso Nescafe and cant wait for a Part II - if it ever happens, and I think I have already lowered my expectations for what to expect from the standard "Dolce Gusto" pods from the supermarkets.

However the boss man has just brought a Nescafe Dolce Gusto pod machine for the office.

I would like to buy some refillable pods from Amazon and try to fill with some HasBean espresso blends.

My question is, beside ropey reviews for the actual pots them selves, if I was to fill these with proper fresh coffee: Would the machine actually be up to extracting anything that resembles an espresso?

For £20 I might just give it a go anyway, but does anyone on here have any tips or tricks?

Edited by longshaw

I think Maxwell's experiments with the pods will probably yield better results when they become available.

Check his blog post on the subject:

https://colonnaandsmalls.wordpress.com

Londinium I, Mahlkönig Vario, Hario Skerton, Chemex 1-3 Cup.

However the boss man has just brought a Nespresso Dolce Gusto pod machine for the office.

Is it a Nespresso machine or a Nescafe Dolce Gusto? Different systems entirely.

Personally I wouldn't bother. Seems far more hassle than it's worth. You probably will not be able to grind the coffee for the pods in a way that the machine can make use of.

You've said your office desk is full of brewing stuff so I would leave this 'coffee machine' to your colleagues.

Ah, My mistake Nescafe Dolce Gusto not Nespresso!

Hmmm, so the general thoughts are ... save £15 on the refillable pods and buy some nice fresh stuff - stick to v60 haha.

I can't imaging in a 1,000 years my company will invest in an actual espresso machine etc. - It was just a thought to get a little bit of "espresso" in the morning.