Sign in to follow this  
MarkT

Coffee scale and milk thermometer advice

Hi guys,

I'm looking out for Coffee Scale and Milk Thermometer for my Barista Express. Are there any particular ones that I should watch out for or any basic one would do. I'm currently using digital kitchen scale which doesn't have decimal points and its' a pretty basic one.

Also what other equipment should I get to maintain my machine please. Or a list of thing I need to do with my machine. Will following the instruction booklet that comes with it be enough?

As I'm still a newbie I need some guidance please. :)

many thanks.

mark.

Sage Barista Express, Aeropress, V60, Feldgrind, French press, Motta 53mm Tamper, 300 ml and 600ml Milk jug.

TempTags which can be ordered from @Glenn are a popular choice.

Depends how much you wish to pay for digital scales? If cheap and cheerful then circa a fiver off eBay. If you want waterproof ones then Brewista Smart Scales (check 'Deals' section as there's a place selling them for £30 delivered which is a tenner cheaper than CoffeeHit)

Linky

I have an Andrew James Milk Thermometer, it is a dial not digital and has a jug clip, and I have found it reliable. From their eBay site for about £4.50 inc P&P

I've been using the Brewista scales since Christmas, they're great, huge improvement on the hario ones I'd been using and the cheap ebay ones before that. They fit on the drip tray well and are quick to respond. There was about a 2g lag with the hario

DE1+, Monolith conical

Get a temp tag and then use this to practice how to judge the temp by hand alone

You will end up ditching the thermometer - it gets in the way of small jugs and milk wand

Scales -Barista - for the water proof alone they are worth the extra - you can get a platform to allow you to weigh the PF too as well as using them to weigh output

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

+1 for the temp tag and Brewista combo, they serve me well (especially when I forgot to put the cup under the group yesterday and drowned the scales)!

Also would recommend the temp tag and brewista scales as a combo. I used to use the temp tags, didn't take me long to work out how to measure by touch. The brewista scales are excellent.

If you didn't want to go that expensive then a £5 set from eBay would be fine. As long as they measure in at least 0.1g. I've had one for 5-6 years with no issues.

Modded Fracino Heavenly | Eureka Zenith 65e | 15g/18g VST's | Made By Knock 58.35mm Tamper | Torr 58.4mm Tamper | AeroPress | V60 | NotNeutral Mugs | A cupboard full of stuff

Other equipment that I would recommend (more accurately I use a lot)

Descaler

Cleaner (such as puly caff)

Some small towels (I use flannels - to wipe the group and one for the milk wand)

And quite honestly that's all I would say you NEED.

Modded Fracino Heavenly | Eureka Zenith 65e | 15g/18g VST's | Made By Knock 58.35mm Tamper | Torr 58.4mm Tamper | AeroPress | V60 | NotNeutral Mugs | A cupboard full of stuff

Great stuff guys, just out of interest how much are the temp tags? I'm gonna have to minimise on spending as my boiler went yesterday. Water pressure is all over the place. So I think it's gonna be expensive. :(

Sage Barista Express, Aeropress, V60, Feldgrind, French press, Motta 53mm Tamper, 300 ml and 600ml Milk jug.

Great stuff guys, just out of interest how much are the temp tags? I'm gonna have to minimise on spending as my boiler went yesterday. Water pressure is all over the place. So I think it's gonna be expensive. :(

How old is your machine? Still within guarantee? Just give Sage Customer Services a call and they can usually talk through and diagnose issues over the phone.

My guess is he meant his central heating boiler rather than the Sage. Could be wrong though.

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

Yep hotmeal is right. It's my main boiler problem with the diverted valve, had to get our boiler guy and cost £252 to get it replaced. :(

@DoubleShot

cheers for the link. I'm currently using a meat thermometer and it not

prrfect but it works. I am having to make a list of new things needed. Coffee cups are amongst them. Lol

any recommendation for thick walled approx 400 ml cups guys?

Other equipment that I would recommend (more accurately I use a lot)

Descaler

Cleaner (such as puly caff)

Some small towels (I use flannels - to wipe the group and one for the milk wand)

And quite honestly that's all I would say you NEED.

If the Sage doesn't come with a proper tamper I'd add this to the list of things you need.

How quick are the temp tags to react to temp change? My milk thermometer was fine with the Silvia but it lags well behind now I'm steaming with the Fracino.

Temp tags quick enough if looked after and not "dishwashered" or scratched. Have been using them for over a year now and transitioned from the Silvia to the Conti cc100 lever, which is a beast of a steamer in comparison, with no issues ( it probably takes me longer to shut the valve off once they change colour :-) )

Cracking product and super clean too with added bonus of no thermometer in the milk to mess your "swirling" up

John

Roasters: BB Dalian Amazon 1kg -Power contolled GeneCafe 101- 105Kg of greens - Tonino

Espresso: Londinium L2 - Gaggia G105 - Silvia v3 Mr.Shades PID'-d - Faema E92a2 (Project) - MyPressi Twist - VST baskets / Motta Europa (350/500/750ml) - Torr Ti 58.55 & Goldfinger flat 58.4 TiBlack, Pullman 51.4 - Acaia x2

Grinders: Flats: Compak R120 - NS Mythos plus Conics: Compak K10PB - Lido 3

Brewed: Behmor Brazen - Moccamaster KBGT471 - Aeropress - V60 - Cona model D - Clever - Mizudashi - 8-10 + 6 cup Chemex

Water: BWT Bestmax V Refrac: VST III

and a Puq Press not in a pear tree..