Beans

Is this normal on new Mignon?

Just recieved new Mignon MK2. Is this finishing to the edges of this little square plate normal?uploadfromtaptalk1452171454522.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1452171406658.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1452171423561.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1452171441676.jpg

Do you mean the square plate that starts the grind when in continuous grind mode and not timer mode ?

If so I think the answer is yes but here is a pic of my 2 month old Mignon so you can make your own judgement...

Mignon1.jpg

ECM Barista, Rocket Fausto

Yes, that's normal, otherwise it would slide out. :-)

I had one for over 3 years. Great grinder.

Mine was like that. I just wiped off the residue with some white spirit.

hopper plate also bent up slightly - normal.

ECM Technika IV Profi (WT-WC), ECM S-Automatik 64, Aeropress, Aergrind

Blimey! I am not a big fan of Aeropress or French Press, but, when I used my Eureka Mignon for French press I never managed to unscrew the dialing knob! Those are the settings I had:

- For espresso, I had 1 or two steps from when the burrs would touch. You can test that the burrs are touching removing the hopper and by turning the burrs manually and tightening them with the knob until they touch, ie: You won't be able to turn them by hand anymore - Make sure the grinder is switched off and unplugged from the mains first.

- Once you find the "zero", back of 2 steps (for instance, if the burrs touched on 2, turn the knob anti-clockwise to 0);

- That was my setting for espresso, or thereabouts.

- For Aeropress, all you need is a just slight coarser grind than espresso, so, turn another 2-3 steps coarser;

- For French Press, I would turn about two full turns coarser from my espresso setting.

Hope that helps!

Ok, thanks. By turning them manually is there a risk of the burrs getting misaligned and thus damaged?

Not as far as I know. It is very easily to turn then manually, as they turn very easily. Once they touch you won't be able to turn them anymore. Just to give you an idea, all you need to do to turn them is, with the grinder off and disconnected, via the throat of the grinder, grab the nut with you thumb and indicator and spin it.

60924523e075b8f663d2ffb4aaec9103.jpg

That's the image of my ex Mignon. Grab the golden nut in the centre of the burr with your thumb and indicator and spin it. That's much less torque than the motor spinning it! :-) :-)

Of course you don't need to remove the top lid/burr, as you want it there for this adjustment. Just removing the hopper will give you access to it.

- For espresso, I had 1 or two steps from when the burrs would touch. You can test that the burrs are touching removing the hopper and by turning the burrs manually and tightening them with the knob until they touch, ie: You won't be able to turn them by hand anymore - Make sure the grinder is switched off and unplugged from the mains first.

- Once you find the "zero", back of 2 steps (for instance, if the burrs touched on 2, turn the knob anti-clockwise to 0);

- That was my setting for espresso, or thereabouts.

Hi pessutojr,

In my Mignon, if I go one step from the point I can't turn burrs by hand (have to go there with some beans), I can hear burrs touching a little when engine is stopping. Maybe with this video this is easier to understand:

https://vimeo.com/152887163

Does it happen with your Mignon? Is it normal?

Thanks

Hi pessutojr,

In my Mignon, if I go one step from the point I can't turn burrs by hand (have to go there with some beans), I can hear burrs touching a little when engine is stopping. Maybe with this video this is easier to understand:

Thanks

Hi, unfortunately I've sold my Mignon before Christmas, so I can't confirm this for you.

If you are not comfortable, just back off more and see the results. Then adjust finer or coarser as you wish. The instructions above are just so that you have a starting point.

Thank you anyway,

Going coarser solves this noise but I need this fine grind with some beans. I wanted to know if this happens with other units or just with mine. Maybe some other owners can help?

Hi pessutojr,

Thanks

When you are having to grind that fine

What's your coffee

What's your dose

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

If you use your fingers to turn the burrs, can you do it? If you can, the burrs are NOT touching.

Yes, at the point I am grinding I can turn burrs by hand. It just makes this sound of the video. I have to narrow near one point to block the burrs turning them by hand, from 2.8 till 4 aprox

Edited by tocateclas

When you are having to grind that fine

What's your coffee

What's your dose

Local roaster blend, not a dark roast. 1:2. 18 grams of ground coffe for 36 grams of espresso. I do not like this coffee at all if I go close to 1:3. So it shouldn't be too fine. Here is my concern...

If you use your fingers to turn the burrs, can you do it? If you can, the burrs are NOT touching.

Are you sure this is right, surely the burrs are touching when you hear them ringing with the grinder on?

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

Are you sure this is right, surely the burrs are touching when you hear them ringing with the grinder on?

I think so. It's the very same noise you will ear when you go finer till they start touching with the engine running, but intermittent.

I think so. It's the very same noise you will ear when you go finer till they start touching with the engine running, but intermittent.

It's hard to tell from the video. Now, the OP says that he needs to grind finer in order to extract the shot properly. My Mignon was capable of chocking my Gaggia Classic, my Cellini and my Profitec. For that reason, and that's just my opinion, in orders for the burrs to be touching and to any detriment to the grinder, the grinding will have to be so fine to the point that it will more likely stall the motor. Maybe someone with more experience and with access to Mignon can chime in.

It's hard to tell from the video. Now, the OP says that he needs to grind finer in order to extract the shot properly. My Mignon was capable of chocking my Gaggia Classic, my Cellini and my Profitec. For that reason, and that's just my opinion, in orders for the burrs to be touching and to any detriment to the grinder, the grinding will have to be so fine to the point that it will more likely stall the motor. Maybe someone with more experience and with access to Mignon can chime in.

Yes, my Mignon can chock my Bezzera. Maybe this noise is not related with burrs touching, I don't know...

I had the burrs touching on my Mignon before, and the noise is nothing like that. It is more like a screeching noise.

Check this video out:

Hope that helps.

My minion use the 'chirrup' (ring) rather than 'tick' when the burrs were zeroed. Should only be attempted with no beans in grinder and motor running. Then back off seven or so points (I seem to recall) to be in the vicinity of an espresso grind.

Espresso: Ceado E92 (modified for single dose); Vesuvius; VST baskets and refractometer.

Other: Aeropress, Sowden and Alessi Moka Pot; Mazzer Robur doser with Auber timer; Mazzer Mini E; Expobar Leva Dual Boiler

My minion use the 'chirrup' (ring) rather than 'tick' when the burrs were zeroed. Should only be attempted with no beans in grinder and motor running. Then back off seven or so points (I seem to recall) to be in the vicinity of an espresso grind.

I understand you mean i.e. from 3 to 2.3 when you say "seven points", am I right?

My burrs "ring" as yours tightenning the grind with motor running and no beans. If burrs start "ringing" at 3, the ticking noise of the video happens at 2.6 or so. I think they shouldn't do this if they were more parallel.