Sign in to follow this  
Vieux Clou

Would you trust this?

Thought I might develop a roast profiling prog for PC (sure they exist, but where's the fun in that?) Anyway I'm mulling over getting one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/K-Type-USB-Thermometer-Thermocouple-Sensor-Data-API-w-CD-for-PC-Laptop-Win-XP-7-/331669173502?hash=item4d3905f4fe:g:BfUAAOxyVaBSrD2P

(USB-interface for a K-Type with included SW)

Question is, would you trust the driver DLLs not to carry viruses?

Still rusting

Run the driver's through a scan before you install. I whould 'trust' them in as much as I wouldn't expect some one selling a product to put a virus on your pc. But even brands like Lenovo end up putting adware on their pc's.

The hardware is also likely a knockoff version of a branded product. If you can find the same thing on an official website just download the driver's from there.

Question is, would you trust the driver DLLs not to carry viruses?

Well you're running antivirus software and use at least one other different program to check on the fly, so I wouldn't worry too much about it, if scanned by 2 different anti virus programs, it's probably going to be quite safe.

My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

Cheers, both. Pretty much what I thought. All the same, I'll maybe put my development environment on a spare portable PC and keep it off my main machine. I'd be using the portable alongside the roaster anyway.

Still rusting

You might find that you will not even need the drivers, depending on the version of Windows you run, 7 and 10 very rarely need drivers.

Isomac Alba

Elektra Grinder

Flat Whites only baby.

That had crossed my mind. I'm also mulling over getting a Raspberry Pi and using that. Could be fun, and with the Pi I could probably run the thermocouple via a standard DAQ. Could run a PID out of it to my Europiccola, too.

Still rusting

That had crossed my mind. I'm also mulling over getting a Raspberry Pi and using that. Could be fun, and with the Pi I could probably run the thermocouple via a standard DAQ. Could run a PID out of it to my Europiccola, too.

Should you not be out skiing? The Pi sounds fun but thought you would be too busy

Isomac Alba

Elektra Grinder

Flat Whites only baby.

I'd use a virtual machine (VMWare player is free for non-commercial uses), most of them support USB passthrough. RasPi would be another option but they you'd probably be stuck with Ubuntu Linux and driver support for that device might be patchy unless it has a popular use in some other open-source applications.

Brazen | V60 | EK43LE

Currently drinking: The Barn LSOL

Pi's are very customisable and have a strong community, so plenty of help at hand.

Current distros which work on pi2's are Ubuntu, debian, Windows 10 iot. And variations of the above.

Various projects have used the pi or an arduino to as a pid to brew beer, so the code or hardware connections might be adaptable...

It was the flexibility that attracted me at first. And aside from the coffee aspect, there's a Wolfram package available that could be interesting.

I have a birthday coming up in a couple of weeks so I'll see what turns up.

Still rusting

They are very flexible. In the last 6 months alone I have used a rpi2 as a n64 emulator, a dropbox clone, a webserver, a media player and also a spotify clone. Very versatile for a £30 piece of kit.

Enjoy.