On 21/01/2016 at 10:38, Jumbo Ratty said:

I think the point of this thread is about the MeCoffee PID and those that have bought it have found it to function and how people like it because it fits inside the machine is controlled by a phone.

They do fit them themselves.

If I had a silvia and wanted to PID it it would be with a MeCoffee pid and not have that carbuncle on the side, just my personal preference and no disrespect meant to anyone who likes that look.

They look dreadful imho. (as good as they might work)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think the point of this thread is about the MeCoffee PID and those that have bought it have found it to function and how people like it because it fits inside the machine is controlled by a phone.

I’ll keep you up to date with any developments. 

Heh! fixed. Answer? switch off the BLE keyboard and mouse, about 10m away..... (and restarted phone for good measure) Onwards. Upwards.

Posted Images

I have a similar problem as a other user: when the temp is set at 101 degrees it overshoots with about 13 degrees. So when I lower the temp it adjusts. But when shut down the silvia and start it again I have to lower the temp a few more degrees. Could this be the sensor or is it firmware/hardware related? 

@jeandit Can you upload the compiled apk here? Maybe flashing could do something for me. 

4 hours ago, Ebk71 said:

I have a similar problem as a other user: when the temp is set at 101 degrees it overshoots with about 13 degrees. So when I lower the temp it adjusts. But when shut down the silvia and start it again I have to lower the temp a few more degrees. Could this be the sensor or is it firmware/hardware related? 

@jeandit Can you upload the compiled apk here? Maybe flashing could do something for me. 

What model is your Silvia? v5 or above?

Are you controlling the preinfusion with the PID?

I had this issue and completing more installation steps was the solution.

"If you are seeing a temperature overshoot of up to 10 degrees in your Silvia E, proceed to the next step. The brew button on the V5 is sometimes interfering with the Active PID signal. The problem goes away when preinfusion is completed."

17 hours ago, mbenney said:

What model is your Silvia? v5 or above?

Are you controlling the preinfusion with the PID?

I had this issue and completing more installation steps was the solution.

"If you are seeing a temperature overshoot of up to 10 degrees in your Silvia E, proceed to the next step. The brew button on the V5 is sometimes interfering with the Active PID signal. The problem goes away when preinfusion is completed."

No, it's an older model. The preinfusion was never installed. I bought it this way for about a year ago. When I discovered preinfusion was not installed I asked and got the cables from Jan/mecoffee. But I never got to install it. It''s an idea.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there!

I am new here, just joining to discuss the Silvia+meCoffee PID setup. Thanks a lot to all contributors in this thread, it has been one of my main source of info... 😉

I bought a meCoffee PID a few weeks ago (delivered in 10 days without problem, although with almost zero communication from the vendor), installed it on my Silvia V5 without problems this weekend, up to step #8 - Pressure control. (I decided to keep this last step for another day...)

Everything else seems to be working well, but as I test now, I figured I have the same issue as Ebk71 (see quote). 

The temperature is super stable and all looks good... But as soon as I start brewing, the temperature drops really fast (down to 70°C in 25 seconds). As if the boiler was not heating up at all during the shot (although the boiler indicates 100% during the brewing, see screenshot). 

• Has anyone faced the same issue? 
  • Do you reckon it is a config issue and I should play with the P,I,D parameters? Or rather a cabling error and I should recheck my installation (obviously I've gone through the manual several times before posting here)?

If anyone has any idea... Thanks a lot in advance! 

On 16/10/2018 at 14:06, Ebk71 said:

Just bought a Silvia V1 with the mecoffee ble version installed. It looks like it's working ok but what could be my starting point for reading and/or basic settings?

I chose the default settings and have no experience with espresso, only slow brew coffee so I probably won't want to experiment with pre-infusion in my early steps. Without coffee in the filter when I press the brew button and let it run for 25 seconds I see the temperature drop below 85C. Is this normal? It takes a bit of time to reach 101C again.

And BTW, Jan is answering mails, in my case pretty fast.

Screenshot_20200802-125140.png

Hi lucau, 

Just to give you an idea here are some screen shots of my mecoffee working normally. The first is with an empty basket fitted which gave me 246g of water in 25 sec. The last screen shot is pulling a double shot (16g in, 36g out) with the settings as shown plus the Pro Active Percentage set to 30% and my brew temperature set to 103.5.

Hope this helps. 

Screenshot_20200804-095207_meBarista.jpg

Screenshot_20200804-142832_meBarista.jpg

Screenshot_20200804-100207_meBarista.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi,

In the uBarista app it's possible to set linear pressure gradients, both start and end.

I have tried setting the start gradient at 60% and end at 80%. Turned off pre-infusion as the start gradient effectively works as a pre-infusion. In the beginning, the pump sound is quite faint. Not sure if it's generating pressure. Water flow starts very slowly, perhaps just from the solenoid valve being opened.

Overall, I'm getting some good and interesting shots. Has anyone else experimented with this feature?

Daniel

• Like 1

starting to think about adding a PID to my silvia, not for any other reason but because i can...

is this still the go to one? (I prefer the auber for the screen but i believe its much much much more expensive)

do i have to have my mobile out when i use this or can i still press the give coffee button on the front of my machine?

starting to think about adding a PID to my silvia, not for any other reason but because i can...
is this still the go to one? (I prefer the auber for the screen but i believe its much much much more expensive)
do i have to have my mobile out when i use this or can i still press the give coffee button on the front of my machine?
I'd quite like to try one of these but their website has been saying out of stock since January. Can anyone recommend any alternatives? Auber is a bit too expensive.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

@ChilledMatt

There is an alternative, i was recently introduced to.. be prepared... it's not cheaper or easier, or even easy to get hold of...
But it appears to be a mod on a completely different level

The ITO mod is not just a PID, its a pid + pressure profiling and gravimetric shot measurements. It's a full on operating system for a silvia (and other types of machine)
http://projectcaffe.bplaced.net/features_leva.html
https://www.softwareandcircuits.com/division/circuits/onlineshop/articles/ito/configure-v2.php

I'm trying to research it and build up the courage to do this before orders open again soon. but the installation looks involved and lots of the resources are in german.... but i really like the idea of this.

On 18/09/2020 at 18:18, ChilledMatt said:

I'd quite like to try one of these but their website has been saying out of stock since January. Can anyone recommend any alternatives? Auber is a bit too expensive.

Well someone above bought one and had it delivered in 10 days in August... I might order one and see what happens. Just put it on my PayPal and then a layer of protection exists 

My experience is that they have and are sending out meCoffees even though their website says they are out of them. Whether you want one is another question.

Judging from here and other coffee forums, meCoffee works fine for some, and poorly or not at all for others. The biggest problem is should you be one of the unlucky ones who gets a defective one, there is NO support. Emails and letters all go unanswered; you are stuck with a non-functioning unit. (Said as one who got a defective unit)

If you do decide to order, I'd be sure to pay some way such that you can dispute the charge should you get a defective unit and no response from the seller.

• Thanks 1
On 18/09/2020 at 14:18, ChilledMatt said:

I do not recommend MeCoffee at all. I bought one on the beginning of the year and never received, nor received any answer to my emails. Run away from it.

On 16/01/2016 at 17:39, Stanic said:

I've installed it last week, very easy installation and fool-proof online manual even for a non tech person like me

works like a charm, finally I was able to make something white and rather flat :)

K52S9730.jpg

K52S9671.jpg

K52S9709.jpg

K52S9721.jpg

Does anybody know what sensor and mount is used in the mecoffee PIDs? 

Weirdly, I read the sensor writing which seems to say LM350T but that leads me to a voltage regulator: 

https://uk.farnell.com/on-semiconductor/lm350t/v-reg-1-2v-to-33v-3a-to-220-3/dp/1417673

10 minutes ago, phario said:

Weirdly, I read the sensor writing which seems to say LM350T but that leads me to a voltage regulator: 

https://uk.farnell.com/on-semiconductor/lm350t/v-reg-1-2v-to-33v-3a-to-220-3/dp/1417673

Holy crap, I realised that the mecoffee PIDs don't actually use a thermocoupler or thermister. They use voltage regulators for the temperature monitoring. See this YouTube video of using a voltage regulator as a thermometer

Does anyone know what the accuracy/error of this measurement is? Or the thresholds of temperature?

Link: @FairRecycler

Edited by phario
4 hours ago, phario said:

I think it’s this sensor

https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm35.pdf

PS. I’m looking into trying to connect to the meCoffee chip with a FTDI.

1. Download the firmware (hex), to able to go back
2. Figure out how the chip I/O pins are connected
3. Write a new Arduino Sketch

Could be a fun project, but a lot of work. Also, I have no Arduino experience. 

Edited by Daniel R
31 minutes ago, Daniel R said:

I think it’s this sensor

https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm35.pdf

PS. I’m looking into trying to connect to the meCoffee chip with a FTDI.

1. Download the firmware (hex), to able to go back
2. Figure out how the chip I/O pins are connected
3. Write a new Arduino Sketch

Could be a fun project, but a lot of work. Also, I have no Arduino experience. 

I get what you're saying but: 

• The LM35 looks very different than the LM350T I linked, and the LM350T I linked looks identical to the one that's mounted on my Silvia.
  • The one on my Silvia definitely says LM350T. The writing is faded, but I checked with a loupe. 
7 hours ago, Daniel R said:

It’s LM35DT, with a D.  Here’s mine (now that I’m anyway taking it apart)

image.thumb.jpeg.309806a5241c82dc0972ae3a33211c8a.jpeg

Ahah! That must be it (I stand corrected as I noted, it's difficult to tell the difference between 'D' and '0' on mine). Here is the data sheet for it (It is rated from -50C to 150C): 

https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm35.pdf?HQS=TI-null-null-digikeymode-df-pf-null-wwe&ts=1601127332616

It's an analog sensor. 

I'd be keen to know what is the pink sheet they use underneath the sensor...maybe some sort of thermal bonding double-sided sticker? 

Edited by phario
Data sheet; corrections.

Hi,

My meCoffee died so I removed it. My  Silvia is back to stock.

Might attempt a DYI PID project.

All the best to all meCoffee users. It's a great kit, just a pity that it's no longer supported and developed.

Daniel