ImthatGuy

MeCoffee PID kit for Silvia - first thoughts

10 minutes ago, chevy said:

These are the settings I'm using on a Silvia E version 5 (with insulated boiler):

Screenshot_20190525-084608_meBarista.jpg

Screenshot_20190525-084628_meBarista.jpg

Screenshot_20190525-084642_meBarista.jpg

54 minutes ago, chevy said:

All I can add is that I decided to take the risk back in January and it arrived pretty quickly and so far so good. My Silvia is in a completely different league now. 

I went for the BLE (iOS) version but use my Galaxy S8 android phone to control it which has BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy). 

I'm happy for you and admire you're courage 🙂 . As i stated before, there is still some little spark of "just have some b... and go for it" in me. I just have to convince myself. Wrote Jan a few weeks ago about my interest and my worries. As you can image i got no response. No "Don't worry i'm on track, you'll get a good product for your money." nor a "Yes, i'm still struggeling". Maybe no response is also a response. Not sure. 

106,5C brew temperature WOW!
Do you really get good espresso on that temp? Have you tried lowering?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I've tried at quite a few temperatures. I'd recommend experimenting yourself. I tried initially with the default setting (101 degrees) and the shots seemed a bit off compared with the ones before PIDing. 

I also measured the temperature at the brew head with a thermocouple type thermometer and a plastic beaker. I. found that with a mecoffee setting of 104.5 degrees C thermostat temperature, water temperature max measured 93.2 and with a thermostat temperature of 106.5, it measured 93.3. (This reading was with 50% proactive). I thought these seemed quite low so redid the test but preheated the thermometer probe but still only got 96.1 degrees at the brew head (proactive 60%). 

Of course bear in mind that it might be the mecoffee temperature sensor that's badly calibrated on mine, hence why I'd say experiment at different temperatures keeping everything else as constant as you can. Also I've noticed that the proactive setting versus the rate of flow of your shot has a big impact on the temperature as the shot is poured. I had to up the setting whilst doing the experiment to make it more realistic as I had nothing restricting the flow. 

Rancilio Silvia E / Mazzer Super Jolly / Iberital MC2 / meCoffee PID / Motta Competition 58.4mm tamper / VST 15g basket / Rancilio naked portafilter

Thanks for sharing.
I have also experimented and settled on 98-100C based on taste depending on beans.
I also fully agree that the proactive feature has very noticeable impact, not necessarily for the good.
Most probably our sensors calibration is off with such large difference.
Since i am doing more or less slow flow shots i keep it in the low 10-30% range. Anything above that and the net effect on espresso is similar to higher brew temp overall.
Although the idea for the proactive feature is good i believe that the implementation is too simplistic to actually mimic the physics model and characteristics of the boiler-heater-grouphead-puck system.

Posted (edited)
On 25/05/2019 at 10:14, leolo said:

I'm happy for you and admire you're courage 🙂 . As i stated before, there is still some little spark of "just have some b... and go for it" in me. I just have to convince myself. Wrote Jan a few weeks ago about my interest and my worries. As you can image i got no response. No "Don't worry i'm on track, you'll get a good product for your money." nor a "Yes, i'm still struggeling". Maybe no response is also a response. Not sure. 

I ordered one a week ago (on the 19th of May). Got an automatic reply with an order number saying:

Thanks for your order. It’s on-hold until we confirm that payment has been received. In the meantime, here’s a reminder of what you ordered:

Haven't received a shipping confirmation yet. My question concerning the vanished iOS-Mebarista-App hasn't been answered either. I found a solution meanwhile: you find the sources on his git: https://git.mecoffee.nl/meBarista/meBarista_in_Ionic2 including an instruction how to build the app by yourself.  

I will post here when it arrives (Germany) so you will know if at least the shop is still working. Let's keep the fingers crossed it is. It seems to be the best - or better only - solution around if you want to have full and easy PID control and not ruin the great design of a Rancilio Silvia.

Edited by friuli

10 hours ago, friuli said:

I ordered one a week ago (on the 19th of May). Got an automatic reply with an order number saying:

Thanks for your order. It’s on-hold until we confirm that payment has been received. In the meantime, here’s a reminder of what you ordered:

Haven't received a shipping confirmation yet. My question concerning the vanished iOS-Mebarista-App hasn't been answered either. I found a solution meanwhile: you find the sources on his git: https://git.mecoffee.nl/meBarista/meBarista_in_Ionic2 including an instruction how to build the app by yourself.  

I will post here when it arrives (Germany) so you will know if at least the shop is still working. Let's keep the fingers crossed it is. It seems to be the best - or better only - solution around if you want to have full and easy PID control and not ruin the great design of a Rancilio Silvia.

Hi Friuli, i keep my fingers crossed for you too. It's some kind of gambling. Maybe it is a good sign that the shipping takes a little time, so he doesn't just resend some returned faulty PIDs. You never know. I'm also from Germany and here is a new "player" on the PID sector - as you surely know -   http://rancilio-pid.de/. An open DIY project. I talked to one of the developer and he was very confident that a pure PID without any other functionality could be accomplished very easily. Knowing my skill set i still prefer mecoffee or even Auber, which is functional but so ugly, that a can't do that to my Silvia 😉

I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience with the mecoffee pid.

Cheers

This is the best available option, in theory will make your Silvia almost similar to a Vesuvius ;-)

But keep in mind it requires even more technical skills.

In fact my plan is the same. If (or when) mecoffee dies i will install this one. On the other hand such expensive upgrades make no financial sense as it will make the total machine cost comparable to much better machines.

16 minutes ago, blazarov said:

This is the best available option, in theory will make your Silvia almost similar to a Vesuvius 😉

But keep in mind it requires even more technical skills.

In fact my plan is the same. If (or when) mecoffee dies i will install this one. On the other hand such expensive upgrades make no financial sense as it will make the total machine cost comparable to much better machines.

I totally agree. This solution is very elaborate. Costs and time make only sense if you are very in love with the Rancilio. You already get a Lelit with PID for a quite reasonable price.😉 

Posted (edited)

Put me in the non working brick from 2018 ( it stopped accepting Bluetooth connections after changing temperature, but I had messaged to do that several times before)

If Jan is back online I've sent him a last plea for help.

Edited by crypticc

On 31/05/2019 at 12:33, crypticc said:

Put me in the non working brick from 2018 ( it stopped accepting Bluetooth connections after changing temperature, but I had messaged to do that several times before)

If Jan is back online I've sent him a last plea for help.

Did Jan help you already or still no response?

Hello there. I just received my MeCoffee and I'm installing it ona Silvia V4. Everything went great up until step 6, where I'm trying to install the preinfusion. I connected the wires according to the manual. But when I press the power switch, I immediately hear an ongoing pump noise. When I flip the brew switch, I hear a flickering sound and shortly afterwards water comes out of the grouphead, so that one seems to work correctly. The thing is that the pump should immediately kick in when I press the power switch. Does anybody have a recommendation for this problem? Thanks in advance.

15 hours ago, tvanarnhem said:

Hello there. I just received my MeCoffee and I'm installing it ona Silvia V4. Everything went great up until step 6, where I'm trying to install the preinfusion. I connected the wires according to the manual. But when I press the power switch, I immediately hear an ongoing pump noise. When I flip the brew switch, I hear a flickering sound and shortly afterwards water comes out of the grouphead, so that one seems to work correctly. The thing is that the pump should immediately kick in when I press the power switch. Does anybody have a recommendation for this problem? Thanks in advance.

Hi. I'm afraid I can't help with that. I'm trying to decide though if it's safe to order a MeCoffee (my current one just died) as Jan has been hard to get hold of. Do you mind if I ask how long ago you ordered yours?

5 hours ago, jonathanheron said:

Hi. I'm afraid I can't help with that. I'm trying to decide though if it's safe to order a MeCoffee (my current one just died) as Jan has been hard to get hold of. Do you mind if I ask how long ago you ordered yours?

I orderd it about a month ago. It's working absolutely fine and I'm quite happy with it. I've also heard that Jan is hard to reach, but my experience with placing the order was quite good. I also sent him a message with the preinfusion question above, really hope I'll get a response from him.

On 19/06/2019 at 07:54, tvanarnhem said:

I have an original Silvia and an original MeCoffee.  When mine did this, it was that the brew switch was failing.  One repaced, it stopped doing that.  But I seem to remember that there were special instructions for the V4 because of wiring changes.  Did you make sure that you followed the V4 instructions?

And for others.  I was one of the original complainers when Jan went silent.  He has been back and answered my email to him when my MeCoffee started doing exactly this -- when turned-on, it acted as if the pump switch had also been thrown.  He appologised for his absence and was ready to send me a replacement unit, but I had him wait to see if replacing the switch fixed the problem -- which it did. 

1 hour ago, davidk21770 said:

I have an original Silvia and an original MeCoffee.  When mine did this, it was that the brew switch was failing.  One repaced, it stopped doing that.  But I seem to remember that there were special instructions for the V4 because of wiring changes.  Did you make sure that you followed the V4 instructions?

And for others.  I was one of the original complainers when Jan went silent.  He has been back and answered my email to him when my MeCoffee started doing exactly this -- when turned-on, it acted as if the pump switch had also been thrown.  He appologised for his absence and was ready to send me a replacement unit, but I had him wait to see if replacing the switch fixed the problem -- which it did. 

Thanks you for responding to my question. Can you elaborate a bit on the faulty brew switch? Because I've never had any problems with it. Also I do not know anything about alternative wiring for the V4 version, on MeCoffee's website the installation is the same for version V1 until V4...? 

19 hours ago, tvanarnhem said:

I orderd it about a month ago. It's working absolutely fine and I'm quite happy with it. I've also heard that Jan is hard to reach, but my experience with placing the order was quite good. I also sent him a message with the preinfusion question above, really hope I'll get a response from him.

Thank you 🙂

Hi.

I can use my Silvia V4 only when meCoffee is connected to a phone and app is running. When the connection breaks, orange light turns off and brew switch isn't runging the pump. Then I have to turn the machine off/on wait for a connection and I can start making coffee. 

It's a little bit annoying to always first run the mebarista app wait for the connection and only then use the machine. It should work without the phone too. 

Does anyone had this issues? 

Many thanks. 

On 23/06/2019 at 10:33, rossoman said:

Hi.

I can use my Silvia V4 only when meCoffee is connected to a phone and app is running. When the connection breaks, orange light turns off and brew switch isn't runging the pump. Then I have to turn the machine off/on wait for a connection and I can start making coffee. 

It's a little bit annoying to always first run the mebarista app wait for the connection and only then use the machine. It should work without the phone too. 

Does anyone had this issues? 

Many thanks. 

I'm afraid I can't help you with that. Sounds like a software issue? Have you tried upgrading the firmware of your MeCoffee? Perhaps that would help?

As for my own questions: haven't heard anything from Jan yet unfortunately. Very disappointing. Can anyone help me with my preinfusion question a few posts up?

On 20/06/2019 at 18:28, davidk21770 said:

Update: I tried a different brew switch but unfortunately it gave me the same error. Do you have another suggestion to fix this problem? It's really annoying because I cannot complete the MeCoffee setup. Also, Jan is not responding to my emails....

Another update: I managed to get the preinfusion working. In order to do this, I only connected the orange wires together, I left the stock white wire connected to the upper left terminal on the brew switch. That did the trick for me. However, another proplem pops up: I'm trying to get pressure profiling to work. I installed the steps according to the manual, but somehow I do not notice any pressure difference when I enable that function. Does anyone know what to do?

I tried connecting the white wires as mentioned before, but that gives me the error of the pump running all the timpe when powering up the device. So that is not really an option...

On 27/05/2019 at 08:10, leolo said:

Hi Friuli, i keep my fingers crossed for you too. It's some kind of gambling. Maybe it is a good sign that the shipping takes a little time, so he doesn't just resend some returned faulty PIDs. You never know. I'm also from Germany and here is a new "player" on the PID sector - as you surely know -   http://rancilio-pid.de/. An open DIY project. I talked to one of the developer and he was very confident that a pure PID without any other functionality could be accomplished very easily. Knowing my skill set i still prefer mecoffee or even Auber, which is functional but so ugly, that a can't do that to my Silvia 😉

I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience with the mecoffee pid.

Cheers

Bad news: I ordered the PID on 20th of March. Transfered 139 Euro to Jans account. Today (3 months later!!!) no PID shipped. No reaction to any email.

This is really starting to be a fraud. I can understand if someone doesn't manage to answer support emails. But keeping the online shop active without any notice, taking the money and not shipping the product is not excusable. If he is not able to ship he should at least close the online shop or leave a notice there.

So I can only warn anybody to place an order at Mecoffee. You probaply loose your money as I did!!!

Or did anybody here in this forum had a PID successfully shipped or an email answered from Jan in the last three months?

Bad news: I ordered the PID on 20th of March. Transfered 139 Euro to Jans account. Today (3 months later!!!) no PID shipped. No reaction to any email.
This is really starting to be a fraud. I can understand if someone doesn't manage to answer support emails. But keeping the online shop active without any notice, taking the money and not shipping the product is not excusable. If he is not able to ship he should at least close the online shop or leave a notice there.
So I can only warn anybody to place an order at Mecoffee. You probaply loose your money as I did!!!
Or did anybody here in this forum had a PID successfully shipped or an email answered from Jan in the last three months?

Hope you paid by credit card so you can get your money back.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

On 18/08/2019 at 21:03, friuli said:

Good news now: I sent a really friendly letter to his address and a few days later I got a shipping confirmation. I heard from other users that they just got their PID immediately after ordering just a few weeks ago. So I guess I was just unlucky. Problem is still that he doesn't seem to read emails. For all who have the same problem: a letter seems to work.

So you can order there. My case seemed to be an exception. Haven't heard that anybody lost his/her money. Worst case is that you have to wait a few months.