ImthatGuy

MeCoffee PID kit for Silvia - first thoughts

Hello All,

Newbie here. Joined just to see if anyone has good contact details for mecoffee?

Seems it's a common story, took my money 8th March, email saying PID shipped 13th March, nothing received as yet and emails, contact messages dropping into a black hole.

Same experience here, no surprise.

Although i am happy with the product, the dutch guy is a dick.

I have sent at least 5 mails with questions, suggestions, about the product and my order - zero response.

Hello All,

Newbie here. Joined just to see if anyone has good contact details for mecoffee?

Seems it's a common story, took my money 8th March, email saying PID shipped 13th March, nothing received as yet and emails, contact messages dropping into a black hole.

Try emailing [email protected].

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Oh FFS.

Dead on Arrival.

Failed at the first step. No Bluetooth.

240v being delivered to pins 1 and 3.

No bluetooth detected with 4 different devices.

After repeated attempts to engage with Jan for a replacement for the none functioning PID he sent I'm now forced to go down the chargeback route with the bank.

Hopefully I will at least get my money back.

Now the MeBarista app is no longer available on the US app store for iOS. :starving:

Likewise with the UK App Store. I had to wipe my phone the other day and when I went to reinstall MeBarista, it wasn’t listed. No luck getting hold of the creator via the web form either.

The source code for meBarista is still available on several repositories hosted at https://git.mecoffee.nl/explore/repos, as announced on this blog post https://mecoffee.nl/blog/opening-up-mebarista.

The iOS meBarista app could be built from the meBarista / meBarista_in_Ionic2 repo.

Gaggia Classic with meCoffee firmware V4, meBarista v4.beta22, Honne Home, Kinu M47, Bezzera BZ09, ito controller

Hello everyone, just received & installed the mecoffee.

A feedback with some recommandation (I guess creator must be reading this sometimes).

1) purchased on April 4th, shipped on April 16th, received May 3rd. Considering Netherland to Singapore via normal post, it's acceptable.

2) Installation; the online manual is clearly too basic, simple pictures are really missing.

Recommandation for creator; It needs more pictures step-by-step.

3) Issue one; the green blinking LED. It took me an eternity to see it! It's a tiny one on the right of microcontroller chip, and the intensity of the light is minimal compared to the red power light. Major scare here, followed with App/Bluetooth issues.

Recommandation; Indicate its location, or change the LED for the next batch.

4) iOS App issue (but it's certainly known to the mecoffee creator considering the above posts); iOS app "not available in my country", alternative iOS app "uBarista" could only read the measurement, but wouldn't let me access settings. So nevermind the iPad... for now? I think it's a critical issue. I choose BTLE for item's longer life-lasting (or compatibility with future smartphones/tables).

5) I switched to Android, and could not connect (LG G6+); "the device rejected you pairing request"! I still could install the meBarista app. After tweaking, as in disabling the normal BT and activating the BTLE, it worked like a charm. still not visible in Bluetooth devices though.

Recommandation for creator; make one single setting switch for either "classic" bluetooth or bluetooth LE in the app, indicate it on installation manual.

6) Issue two; there was a cable mismatch ; the 2 white cables were incorrect (the shorter one had a male+female connector, but not the longer one that's required for pre-infusion). I had to sacrifice the last option (timer), which is no big deal for me. But it really doesn't help!

Recommandation for creator; A checklist of all cables as we start to set it. Also, would you leave them attached together with the cable tie, or should you remove it? batch#1 I left it, batch#2 I had to remove it. A bit confusing.

Conclusion, it's now working, and I am playing with the settings happily. It's very ingenious pcb, but end user friendliness was sacrified. Luckily it's my line of work (electronics/piping/PID/etc), but it's a pity that such a great product can make buyers disappointed due to minor things.

Unfortunately Jan is a one man army and I can understand that it's hard to handle all the stuff around the project.

Single dose FTW !

Morning All, An update on my mecoffee. I managed to get some free time in the lab at work yesterday and got the circuit board under some decent magnification. Found a few rubbish solder joints so fixed them. Device now powers up and talks to my phone. I'll try fitting it this weekend. If it works I'll cancel the cashback process via the bank.

Would never have found the poor quality soldering without a bloody expensive bit of kit I fortunately have occasional access to.

Hopefully I'll have a working PID this weekend.

I wouldnt cancel the cashback.

This guy is a fraud and should be punished.

He is never responding to any support enquiries - even for your DoA unit, while on the same time he is processing orders and shipping units very quickly.

Also removing his app from the AppStore is probably due to complaints or he is no longer complying to their rules.

Got it working. Seems to be OK.

Instructions are shite and contradictory in places.

Bluetooth wont connect to phone but works with tablet so able to configure it.

Now I can start experimenting with preinfusion and the like.

What temps are you guys setting them too? Sticking with default or tweaking?

I wouldnt cancel the cashback.

This guy is a fraud and should be punished.

He is never responding to any support enquiries - even for your DoA unit, while on the same time he is processing orders and shipping units very quickly.

Also removing his app from the AppStore is probably due to complaints or he is no longer complying to their rules.

1. He has responded to support enquiries, as I can attest as one of the earliest buyers of the MeCoffee. There are others in this thread who have had support

2. He's slow and unreliable at support because, as someone else said he's essentially a one man band

3. Throwing round baseless accusations that he's a fraud doesn't help anyone who needs help.

My MeCoffee has worked fine for quite some time now - it took 3 goes to get a reliable one (which is how I know he responds to support queries).

I use the Chrome app on a MacBook to control it - I never went for the IOS version

On 16/05/2019 at 11:14, ImthatGuy said:

1. He has responded to support enquiries, as I can attest as one of the earliest buyers of the MeCoffee. There are others in this thread who have had support

2. He's slow and unreliable at support because, as someone else said he's essentially a one man band

3. Throwing round baseless accusations that he's a fraud doesn't help anyone who needs help.

My MeCoffee has worked fine for quite some time now - it took 3 goes to get a reliable one (which is how I know he responds to support queries).

I use the Chrome app on a MacBook to control it - I never went for the IOS version

I'm interested in the meCoffee pid. Reading many posts of unsatisfied users makes me wonder if it would be a wise decision though. I don't think Jan is a fraud but when you buy a product you expect it to work properly. It took you 3 goes to get a reliable one ... Yes, that's a sign for some kind of support but sadly also a sign for poor quality management. I'm the last person who wouldn't understand personal problems. Looking at his website and the github files you see that there is no update. Old posts, old files. I wonder if Jan really is developing the mecoffee pid business any further or not.

As i said in the beginning. I would love to get a working pid for my little Silvia but i have some strange gut feeling about mecoffee. 

Just my 2 cents.

I think that’s fair. Support is spotty and it does seem that Jan lacks time and resources.

Buying the MeCoffee is a risk, unfortunately 

All I can add is that I decided to take the risk back in January and it arrived pretty quickly and so far so good. My Silvia is in a completely different league now. 

I went for the BLE (iOS) version but use my Galaxy S8 android phone to control it which has BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy). 

Rancilio Silvia E / Mazzer Super Jolly / Iberital MC2 / meCoffee PID / Motta Competition 58.4mm tamper / VST 15g basket / Rancilio naked portafilter

On 12/05/2019 at 22:04, Merkinglue said:

Got it working. Seems to be OK.

Instructions are shite and contradictory in places.

Bluetooth wont connect to phone but works with tablet so able to configure it.

Now I can start experimenting with preinfusion and the like.

What temps are you guys setting them too? Sticking with default or tweaking?

These are the settings I'm using on a Silvia E version 5 (with insulated boiler):

Screenshot_20190525-084608_meBarista.jpg

Screenshot_20190525-084628_meBarista.jpg

Screenshot_20190525-084642_meBarista.jpg

Rancilio Silvia E / Mazzer Super Jolly / Iberital MC2 / meCoffee PID / Motta Competition 58.4mm tamper / VST 15g basket / Rancilio naked portafilter