Sign in to follow this  
ANDREWHE

Where can I get a new shower plate for Fracino Heavenly?

It's the screw on sort, 57mm diameter. Coffee machine shops only seem to be bothered whether it's a Series 1 and 2 or Series 3 and 4 machine. I haven't got the foggiest what Series it is. All I know is it's a Heavenly with no hot water spout and dates back to at least 2002 (there's an electrical testing sticker).

When I tried to set up the machine and grinder the other day I got huge variations in shot times (sometimes 20 seconds sometimes 45 seconds) when I've weighed the same amount (on kitchen digital scales admittedly) on the same grind setting to produce the same amount (32g). I'm guessing the shower plate (which is a bit lumpy, as if a few grains are stuck between the plate and the mesh) is causing channelling or my tamping isn't as regular as I thought it was. Only other thing I can think of is that I'm putting too much in the basket: I'm using 16g, when it seems that the Fracino basket is 14g. However I've bought this machine second hand so I can't tell if it's an original or a basket for 14, 16 18 or 20 grams (how do you tell?).

Anyway, where can I get a new shower plate and will a 16 or 18g basket fit in the Heavenly portafilter?

+1 on the above and if unsure drop Peter an email using their contact form, genuinely pleasurable to deal with, sorted a problem I had very very fast.

John

Roasters: BB Dalian Amazon 1kg -Power contolled GeneCafe 101- 113Kg of greens - Tonino

Espresso: Londinium L2 - Gaggia G105 - Silvia v3 Mr.Shades PID'-d - Faema E92a2 (Project) - MyPressi Twist - VST baskets / Motta Europa (350/500/750ml) - Torr Ti 58.55 & Goldfinger flat 58.4 TiBlack, Pullman 51.4 - Acaia x2

Grinders: Flats: Compak R120 - NS Mythos plus Conics: Compak K10PB - Lido 3

Brewed: Behmor Brazen - Moccamaster KBGT471 - Aeropress - V60 - Cona model D - Clever - Mizudashi - 8-10 + 6 cup Chemex

Water: BWT Bestmax V Refrac: VST III

and a Puq Press not in a pear tree..

Hate to hear of people struggling like this, would you like to have my Espro calibrated tamper on loan for a while, it takes one of the variables out of the equation.

Ian

Minima ma ma ma Eureka Zenith

There's a chap on here that sells Fracino, he might be able to get parts for them? @coffeebean

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3 + Mahlkonig EK43 Turkish burrs + Niche

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

I can see what I can find on Monday for you - if your machine has a serial number on it anywhere, that would be helpful!!

https://thecoffeebean-vanandroaster.co.uk/

[email protected] 

Toper Cafemino - Fracino Contempo Dual - Fracino K3 - Piaggio Ape............fresh beans!:)

Fracino Heavenly without a hot water tap...? Are you sure? Some of the Piccinos have no hot water tap but I thought all heavenlies has one. Edit: Did just find mention on a retailer of a heavenly without hot water tap... still if you can find a label or take a photo it would help.

To test you basket size, dose your coffee and tamp then place a 1p coin on top of the tamped puck. Lock this into the group then remove. The 1p should have created a very light indentation in the puck. If it is pressed right in or broken the puck there is too much coffee in there, if there is no indentation there is not enough.

Too much coffee is a very likely cause of channeling. Take the shower screen off anyway and make sure its clean, built up oils can also ruin the distribution of water from the shower screen.

Edit: is it defo 57mm across, when removed from the group? Plenty of 52mm Fracino shower screens available online.

Edited by Dylan

the early models often came without water arms. i thought a screen was a screen for them having had a couple i cannot remember having problems

the early models often came without water arms. i thought a screen was a screen for them having had a couple i cannot remember having problems

Thing is on Happy Donkey, they have a shower screen for the series 1+2 machines, which looks like a regular e61 shower screen here and series 2 shower plates are the screw on type but all 52mm.

There are industry standard 57mm shower plates available. Does your old shower have a lip ? You'll also need to measure the depth, as they range from 3.3mm to 5.5mm in depth.

Delivered price would be approx. £3.

Might try that. I have contacted Fracino a couple of times on other matters and they have been very quick to respond and also helpful.

Hate to hear of people struggling like this, would you like to have my Espro calibrated tamper on loan for a while, it takes one of the variables out of the equation.

Ian

Well that's very kind of you. It might be very helpful just for the first few days on the machine and grinder. The machine and grinder are a present for the wife so it's really her that would need the tamper although I have been trying to dial them in for her in advance of the big day. I've also booked her in for a half-day training course with Limini but the idea is for her to enjoy making coffee from day one, rather than wait for the course. I'll pm you tomorrow.

I took a photo of thr serial number but it came out too dark and I'm waiting for another opportunity for the wife to go out! I'll post it here when I can!

I can see what I can find on Monday for you - if your machine has a serial number on it anywhere, that would be helpful!!

Here's a photo of the shower plate, the Heavenly and serial number 61831201 on the bottom of the Heavenly:

2015-12-19 13.11.42.jpg

If you could identify the shower plate I need that would be really helpful. And if you could actually supply me with one even better. I'm happy to fit an upgraded model if it makes much difference. While I'm at it, would I need to remove the dispersion block the plate attaches to before I replace the gasket?

2015-12-19 13.12.26.jpg

2015-12-19 13.12.19.jpg

There are industry standard 57mm shower plates available. Does your old shower have a lip ? You'll also need to measure the depth, as they range from 3.3mm to 5.5mm in depth.

Delivered price would be approx. £3.

This one doesn't seem to have any lip at all. Or any depth to speak of. Here are some photos:

2015-12-19 13.49.43.jpg

2015-12-19 13.51.23.jpg

2015-12-19 13.51.05.jpg

Can you measure the shower plates diameter

Thing is on Happy Donkey, they have a shower screen for the series 1+2 machines, which looks like a regular e61 shower screen here and series 2 shower plates are the screw on type but all 52mm.

Unfortunately my heavenly has a screw on 57mm shower plate so none of these Happy Donkey ones are any good. Or am I missing a trick?

I was commenting that it seems strange that when you search for fracino shower plates on google you get two results... one for the series 1+2 which seems to be a normal e61 style shower screen, and then one for the series 3+4 which seems to be a 53mm shower plate. Its just odd that yours is a 57mm shower plate as as you have discovered, no one stocks them!

Edit: is it defo 57mm across, when removed from the group? Plenty of 52mm Fracino shower screens available online.

Yep. Definitely 57mm. It's a second-hand machine, so it could even be the WRONG plate, I suppose. I've included some photos on other replies in this thread.

I was commenting that it seems strange that when you search for fracino shower plates on google you get two results... one for the series 1+2 which seems to be a normal e61 style shower screen, and then one for the series 3+4 which seems to be a 53mm shower plate. Its just odd that yours is a 57mm shower plate as as you have discovered, no one stocks them!

I'm beginning to wonder whether it's even the correct plate. It fits quite snugly in the dispersion block above, however.

Can you take a photo of the underside of the group without the screen in place, as much light as possible.