aaronb

London's Best of the Best?

/\/\/\ Here's my recommendations

http://www.pavilionbakery.com/portfolio/our-place

if you cant get there

https://www.origincoffee.co.uk/pages/origin-coffee-shoreditch

Look Mum No hands at a push.

You could try Ozone, Allpress Redchurch st, Modern society, Attendant shoreditch, Grind old st, Lantana shoreditch. There are others but not open Sundays.

My Home Cinema: (with computers & coffee! :D ) https://grimleyplex.co.uk/

/\/\/\ Here's my recommendations

http://www.pavilionbakery.com/portfolio/our-place

if you cant get there

https://www.origincoffee.co.uk/pages/origin-coffee-shoreditch

Look Mum No hands at a push.

You could try Ozone, Allpress Redchurch st, Modern society, Attendant shoreditch, Grind old st, Lantana shoreditch. There are others but not open Sundays.

Hey Grimley

Not been to Pavillion - looks nice. What is the coffee like...? I assume for shoreditch you recommend the Columbia road Pavillion...

For pure coffee experience I would go to origin first...

GS3 and Versalab M3; Vario Home, Aeropress and Kalita Wave

I hit up origin yesterday. Great espresso.

Ive been to look mum no hands before as well actually. I may go again. Thanks for the reminder.

Gonna hit pavillion today and at least 1 more from the list.

Thanks so much.

I hit up origin yesterday. Great espresso.

Ive been to look mum no hands before as well actually. I may go again. Thanks for the reminder.

Gonna hit pavillion today and at least 1 more from the list.

Thanks so much.

Let us know what Pavillion was like... I am generally sceptical of high end bakers that also do coffee

GS3 and Versalab M3; Vario Home, Aeropress and Kalita Wave

Hey Grimley

Not been to Pavillion - looks nice. What is the coffee like...? I assume for shoreditch you recommend the Columbia road Pavillion...

For pure coffee experience I would go to origin first...

They use Origin (Presumably due to the fact that Pavilion have a place in Newquay) I paid their Victoria Park place a visit (Take your own cup though) as the view of the Lake on a sunny day is like this:

IMG_20180505_091230.jpg

Let us know what Pavillion was like... I am generally sceptical of high end bakers that also do coffee

Pavillion by the flower market was a lovely shop to grab a flatwhite and pastry to go. Textbook specialty flatwhite, small stong and smooth. Better than a lot of middling coffee shops.

On my sunday i also hit prufock. Lovely easy shop. Mellow vibe, not a hint of the education anxiety that some shops dither over, nor the over bearing quality focus other places trip over.

From a small sample size, origin a place to taste coffee, prufock a place to drink coffee. If that makes sense.

Origin was coffee nerd hightpoint of the trip.

Try black chapel coffee.

Paid them a Visit yesterday. A very small place but that isn't a bad thing. As it was hot I tried a cold brew which was very good. I believe they use various roasters & the one they were using yesterday was Dark Arts, which is hard to beat despite the price.

Also paid a visit to Mouse Tail In Deptford, Chairs & Coffee in Fulham & Beany Green Paddington, which was 'plan b' after my original destination (the Meal Ticket) had closed for some reason even though it was was supposed to be open. I didn't like paying a 'service charge' in Beany Green though. I know its more a resturant than coffee shop & I got table service but that isnt the point if you've only gone in there for a coffee & cake. Last time I had table service in a coffee shop was Taylor st. Bank & IIRC I didn't pay a service charge there.

I live in West Kensington, but I'm not familiar with the coffee houses. Haven't sought them out so far. There's the Coffee Station on King St Hammersmith which was OK - had a nice cup and good food. Just up from the Town Hall, and took my mind off disputing parking fines. There's Amoret on 11 Beadon Rd just off Hammersmith Broadway by the tube station.

"Amoret curate single origin green beans directly from specialty which are then custom roasted by Jon Cowell at Curve Roasters. A range of coffees are available on filter including Amoret’s own selected, Curve roasted beans and coffees from guest roasters."

Dropped in to Amoret. Tiny place, no decaf. That's a no-go for me. My local is L'Elysee on Hammersmith Rd. opposite Olympia. Decent coffees, very good range of cakes and eats. Rather small - long and thin so not particularly good on ambiance, unfortunately, but otherwise recommended.

http://www.lelysee.co.uk

Gaggia Baby 2002 and 2005, Mazzer Major, Motta 58.4mm tamper

Shame Amoret don't do decaf. I know it's ridiculously small in there but I've had some mind blowing espresso and cortado from them. They really take care over every cup and I've yet to be disappointed. Favourites from them were Nicaraguan natural and a Guji natural, both really good.

___

Eat, drink and be merry

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

Shame Amoret don't do decaf. I know it's ridiculously small in there but I've had some mind blowing espresso and cortado from them. They really take care over every cup and I've yet to be disappointed. Favourites from them were Nicaraguan natural and a Guji natural, both really good.

Jon Curve roasts their coffee ;)

'it's all about the microbubbubbles'

Yeah I know! I was chatting to the guys in there and they spilled the beans as it were - I did say I'd had some cracking coffees from Curve before, such as the LSOL from a few months back.

___

Eat, drink and be merry

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

That may change. I popped into their new shop in Notting Hill yesterday & spoke to the Owner. They've just installed a Giesen Roaster in the rear of the new shop & Roasting their own is going to commence very soon, The Owner will be doing that initially as he told me he has done the relevant exams. I may pop back later in the year to see the progression & if Decaf will be available for sale.

In other News - I Paid visits to Tina, We Salute you E20 (Handy If I can get tickets for the #mlblondonseries next year) Ozone Roasters & Rosslyn, of which Rosslyn was the best.

No change as of yet. Still don't do DeCaf as I asked them in their notting hill branch. They have more place upstairs now for those who'd want a seat.

20181021_133934 (1).jpg

If you happen to go to West London (Richmond) don't miss Kiss The Hippo Coffee

They roast and serve the coffee onsite (espresso based and filter).

Yes that's a good shout for Richmond. I think they use a KvdW Spirit, big bright interior, and IIRC you can watch the roasting through a glass wall at the back.

___

Eat, drink and be merry

I've been to a fair chunk of the well-respected coffee shops in (central) London. Some comments on a select few:

The Good:

Association Coffee - Creechurch Lane

Overall my absolute favourite, the decor really suits my aesthetic and the brand identity. The service is quick and fitting for the clientele. I am in so often sometimes if the baristas notice me at the back of the queue, they'll fast track my order (always an espresso to go as I need a pick-me up on my lunch break) and it'll be ready by the time I pay. The coffee menu is short and to the point (not a fan of having to decide between 20 different beans and I always worry about freshness and cleaning out the grinders between coffees etc.) I don't think I've ever had a bad coffee there either.

Prufrock Coffee - Leather Lane

I'm a filter man at heart and as far as I'm concerned nowhere does it better than Prufrock. The rotating menu of 3 filters rarely disappoints and is a good way to sample some more "obscure" roasters on occasion. Sitting at the brew bar allows great interaction with the baristas too which is fun. The cafe itself is nice and big so you don't feel too cramped and get your own space, the food is nice for a coffee shop. On the espresso side I sometimes find the guests to be a bit too zingy and acidic for my tastes but you always have the house red brick as an old dependable.

Monmouth Coffee - Monmouth Street

Yes it's not the hippest place anymore, yes you can get more exciting geshas elsewhere but there is still something special about Monmouth. The table service isn't fantastic, it's cramped, gets overly hot and is very loud. None of that matters because it has a "thing" unlike many of the faceless newer bars that pretty much all feel the same.

Kaffeine - Eastcastle Street

The espressos here are fantastic and incredibly consistent in my experience. The service is quick but attentive. I like the palette cleansers and things they sometimes serve for sit down guests too (although I never liked cascara so I’m kind of glad that’s gone!) it adds to the theatre of it even if it doesn’t really do anything to the taste.

Store Street Espresso - Store Street

Delicious espressos and they have interesting guest coffees that change regularly. The store itself is nice and bright, the service quick and friendly. I don’t have a reason to be in that part of town very often but when I do I make a quick detour and am always impressed.

The Bad (Warning in advance this is going to get quite brutal - I don't like slamming independent businesses online as I know the impact it can have… but sometimes I feel it is warranted):

Curators Coffee - Both Locations

This one hurts, it used to be good but I have been burnt too many times by this company. The coffee quality in my last few visits has been appalling and verging on undrinkable sour espressos and even a super expensive Wendelboe gesha that they destroyed on the brew bar. A friend also ordered a capp which had rancid milk complete with curdled lumps in the cup. I also take issue with their pricing structure for beans for retail - "buy a bag get a free coffee" isn't really true if you charge £5 more for the bag of beans, it's dishonest and rubs me the wrong way. From my negative experiences I have about 15 "free coffee" cards as compensation that I haven't used.

(Note: last visit was around 6 months ago, it may be better now but they have lost my custom at this point)

Brooklyn Coffee - Commercial Street

Undrinkable batch brew, bad espresso, but worst of all was the staff attitude – very condescending and rude. Only visited once have absolutely no intention of going again. I can let off bad coffee on occasion but bad staff attitude is unacceptable at any time for me.

Spro === Compak E8 Redspeed / OE Pharos ---> The Rising Force Tamper ---> LR (IMS 35um + VST 18g) / Cafelat Robot Filter === OE Apex / OE Lido 3 ---> v60 (chemex papers) / Able brewing system / Aeropress Water === Osmio Zero

The Black Lab by Clapham Common is excellent! Always have a variety of beans on, including decaff if that's your thing. I happened across it years back, now I'll gladly make a detour if I'm around those parts.

City: Taylor Street (New St branch), Association, Modern Society

SW London: Milk Teeth, Saucer & Cup, Brickwood, Marcus Bros

Other: Antipode (Hammersmith)

However, this past weekend I was in Sheffield and had my first lever produced coffee (unintentionally) at Eve followed by another at Foundry Coffee Roasters and I am hooked (both use Londinium machines). Need to find similar in London

However, this past weekend I was in Sheffield and had my first lever produced coffee (unintentionally) at Eve followed by another at Foundry Coffee Roasters and I am hooked (both use Londinium machines). Need to find similar in London

I was wondering something similar. For all the joy that forum members get from pressure profilers and levers. I have hardly seen a cafe offering either.

Actually the best coffee I have had in the UK has been a lever produced flat white by a cart near Russel Square. Izzo Pompei with Climpson and Sons Baron blend.

Sage Duo Temp - La Cimbali 6/S A 64mm flat burr + numerous projects: Sunbeam, Ascaso, Gaggia

I don't know if I was just unlucky, but the Brickwood that I tried by Clapham Common was terrible. Tasted like the beans hadn't been properly tamped, or were too coarse, really bad. With the thought of "life is too short for bad coffee" I went just next door to Black Lab and had an excellent coffee. Never went back to Brickwood again.

Will check out the other SW London one's you've mentioned. Taylor St Barista's are always a solid choice for the city, first came across them in Richmond.

Saint Espresso is the best I've had consistently on the north side between Baker Street and KX

Saint Espresso is the best I've had consistently on the north side between Baker Street and KX

Agreed, nice staff and great coffee.

Just the other side of Kings X I recommend Frequency, Kings Cross Road.

Roslyn is my current favourite in the City. The department of coffee on Bishopsgate is consistently good, but their branch just around the corner in Spitalfields is all over the place.