aaronb

London's Best of the Best?

'Alchemy', round the back of St Paul's. Great coffee:)

I'm near St.Pauls today, will see if I can make it over to Alchemy if I have time.

Yuxo09y.jpg

Gentleman Baristas and Coffeeworks Project are both in Southwark, Alchemy is just over the bridge (but not worth it IMHO)

Southwark is a bit far for me, I'm just north of Paternoster Square, anything better than Alchemy over that way at all?

Yuxo09y.jpg

Southwark is a bit far for me, I'm just north of Paternoster Square, anything better than Alchemy over that way at all?

A quick look on the London's best Coffee app suggests Aritigiano serving Origin on Paternoster Square. I'd rate Origin higher than Alchemy as roasters but I cant vouch for this particular cafe personally.

Londinium I, Mahlkönig Vario, Hario Skerton, Chemex 1-3 Cup.

Haven't been to that particular branch of Artigiano's but if it's similar to the one in Reading it's likely to be OK without being amazing. I haven't been to the alchemy cafe but the beans I had from alchemy were very good.

Everything my heart could desire (more or less). . .

https://cupperjoe.com

Great thanks all.

i'll check that app out too.

Yuxo09y.jpg

I'm trying to stop going to Gentlemen Baristas every day, but failing badly it's so good.

They have just switched up their Linea for a fancy new Faema e71.

Coffee just as good though!

Staying round the corner from Shoreditch Grind so popped in this morning for a pastry and flat white. Nice atmosphere, great service, and the coffee was pretty good.

Vesuvius, Monolith Conical, Feldgrind

There are a few good options in and around Spitalfields Market and some excellent places to eat theretoo, whether for a quick snack or dinner.

I'm in London for the next couple of days starting near covent garden. I've got Monmouth on my list as it's only a few minutes from where I'm staying but it's shut on a Sunday. Any other other recommendations - is there a coffee map? Recommendation for Sunday brunch and coffee would be great! 👍

Gaggia Classic (2006 - OPV & Silvia Wand mods) , Matt Black Eureka Mignon , Made by Knock Tamper , Rhino hand grinder, Clever Coffee Dripper, Aeropress, French Press .......

I'm in London for the next couple of days starting near covent garden. I've got Monmouth on my list as it's only a few minutes from where I'm staying but it's shut on a Sunday. Any other other recommendations - is there a coffee map? Recommendation for Sunday brunch and coffee would be great!

There are several coffee apps which do a great job geographically. And you're spoiled for choice around there. Can't help with food & coffee though. In my experience it's one or the other that is done well.

Best coffee and brunch combo for me has to be caravan. Prefer the one in Exmouth market to kings cross.

Vesuvius, Monolith Conical, Feldgrind

Seconding Caravan and the london's best coffee app.

Londinium I, Mahlkönig Vario, Hario Skerton, Chemex 1-3 Cup.

I popped into Dark Arts Roastery Cafe yesterday and had a delicious shot of their Rwandan and some good batch brew.

Its a cool space in a railway arch with all of the business of roasting and serving the coffee happening in the one room.

Another one to add - The Attendant Fitzrovia. Very good flat white from there.

I visited two more on the same day, the Espresso room outside great Ormond street Hospital & Monmouth in Borough Market, both good but the Attendant was tops for the day.

grimleyplex = 2002-2019 R.I.P. :(

Over past few days ended up at Monmouth Covent Garden, Soho Grind, Damson & Co in Soho and a place called Notes near Charing Cross

Gaggia Classic (2006 - OPV & Silvia Wand mods) , Matt Black Eureka Mignon , Made by Knock Tamper , Rhino hand grinder, Clever Coffee Dripper, Aeropress, French Press .......

Went for a coffee tour last Friday.

Notes

Prufrock

Workshop

Store St Espresso

TAP

All drinks were flat whites.

Notes - nice, a bit to bright (very light roast) to my taste. Strength is good.

Prufrock - the biggest disappointment, herd a lot about this coffee shop. They use Square Mile's Red Brick. Nice, but very subtle flavour, way too weak, vey milky, coffee flavour somewhere on the background. From what I could see they make milk drinks from single shot. If you order one they put a cup under one side of spout and shot glass under the other. They leave second shot in the glass till the next customer, even if it takes several minutes.

Workshop - probably the best one. Good strength, good flavour, long aftertaste. Medium roast I believe.

Store St - Red Brick as well. Very watery and lacks a bit of strength. I should mention it was my fifth flat white of the day and I was forcing myself to drink it. Will visit it next time again. Barista is a very nice and friendly guy, doesn't mind chatting about coffee and happily answers any questions and gives advices. Also he's got EK43 signed by Matt Perger in the shop.

TAP - is my to go coffee shop. Decent flat whites all the time. Great consistency. The roast is a bit on the brighter side, but not too bad. Good strength, not too milky. It was the first ever coffee shop where I tried light roast espresso and fell in love with it after drinking very dark oily roasts only, so I might be a bit biased.

Expobar Dual Leva / Anfim Super Caimano Barista / Eureka Mignon

Went for a coffee tour last Friday.

Notes

Prufrock

Workshop

Store St Espresso

TAP

All drinks were flat whites.

Notes - nice, a bit to bright (very light roast) to my taste. Strength is good.

Prufrock - the biggest disappointment, herd a lot about this coffee shop. They use Square Mile's Red Brick. Nice, but very subtle flavour, way too weak, vey milky, coffee flavour somewhere on the background. From what I could see they make milk drinks from single shot. If you order one they put a cup under one side of spout and shot glass under the other. They leave second shot in the glass till the next customer, even if it takes several minutes.

Workshop - probably the best one. Good strength, good flavour, long aftertaste. Medium roast I believe.

Store St - Red Brick as well. Very watery and lacks a bit of strength. I should mention it was my fifth flat white of the day and I was forcing myself to drink it. Will visit it next time again. Barista is a very nice and friendly guy, doesn't mind chatting about coffee and happily answers any questions and gives advices. Also he's got EK43 signed by Matt Perger in the shop.

TAP - is my to go coffee shop. Decent flat whites all the time. Great consistency. The roast is a bit on the brighter side, but not too bad. Good strength, not too milky. It was the first ever coffee shop where I tried light roast espresso and fell in love with it after drinking very dark oily roasts only, so I might be a bit biased.

TAP, Wardour Street is my go to coffee shop too, consistently excellent.

Tried Soho Grind for a change last week which I thought was very disappointing - shocking espresso and poor service.

Quick Mill Verona, Eureka Zenith 65E, VST 18g basket. Aeropress, Rancilio Rocky.

Craft coffee (formerly of Shoreditch) have taken the pitch where Noble rose to fame in Kings Cross. Had a coffee last week and it was as good, if not better, than ever!

@jeebsy did you see this?

'it's all about the microbubbubbles'

Snapchat-463184211.jpg

Lovely Kenyan filter at Association ludgate circus. Been working around here last week or two and have also been to workshop and alchemy. Had a really nice flat white as well as batch brew and manual filter at alchemy over the week. Any other places around st Paul's/ ludgate/holborn that are recommended?

@Riz Try Curators over just off Fenchurch st, they rock it. Also if you end up in that area, pop into The New Black on Philpot lane. Wht they are doing is some seriously next level stuff.

'it's all about the microbubbubbles'

Thanks @Scotford. Will try to head to those places. Are there any particular items on their menu you would recommend?