IGNORED

What made you go for an ECM/Profitec

Hi,

The Mechanika is excellent, was a bit worried to go for hx since earlier experience was a singel boiler Silvia.

But the Mechanika is easy to temp surf and I'm very satisfied.

I'm also very happy with the grinder.

Nice size, easy to adjust, even grind, quick, "silent" and nice room to adjust portafilter to get even distribution.

(I had a Rocky earlier, so I'm not very experienced on grinders.)

No buyer remorse and would not hesitate to buy the same equipment again

Hope this helps

Thanks. I ended up going with the Mechanika and the Fausto grinder combo. Looking forward to receiving it and playing with it. Now comes the hard part - learning to use it and dialing it in!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Another (soon to be) ECM owner here.

I had my mind set on a Rocket R58, but the internal complexity and number of solenoid valves put me off.

The Synchronika just looked better built, and I love the joysticks for the steam etc.

Mine will be partnered with a Mazzer Mini Electronic Model A for now, but I am looking forward to dialling everything in this weekend!

Plumbing it in at the moment is not an option as getting water to

the current location is difficult.

If I move it out into the utility room, then it is an option.

I am thinking of installing a seperate filtered drinking water tap near the sink though.

Plumbing it in at the moment is not an option as getting water to

the current location is difficult.

If I move it out into the utility room, then it is an option.

I am thinking of installing a seperate filtered drinking water tap near the sink though.

Ideally, you'd want it plumbed in both ways.. But not everyone can place their machines in ideal locations (my Synchronika left the kitchen)

Mine is now by the front door

But at least get it plumbed out. I just used the provided drain attachment, and ran a hose to a 5 gallon water bottle. Normal rubbery garden hose works fine.

Filling up the Synchronika is once a day in the morning. Not too much of a hassle.. Before, I would empty the drip tray at least 3 times a day, but now it's once a week.

I would be able to plumb it in if I moved it to the utility room.

The ECM is currently sat on the breakfast bar, and I have electricity sockets close by. To get water there, I would have to come up through the floor, and as I have heated floors, I don't fancy my chances of not hitting a pipe when I make the hole to fit the plumbing.

Having just steamed some milk in our open living space, I have already had a complaint!

The machine may have to move soon.

I would be able to plumb it in if I moved it to the utility room.

The ECM is currently sat on the breakfast bar, and I have electricity sockets close by. To get water there, I would have to come up through the floor, and as I have heated floors, I don't fancy my chances of not hitting a pipe when I make the hole to fit the plumbing.

Having just steamed some milk in our open living space, I have already had a complaint!

The machine may have to move soon.

Remember who to stick by. The one who never complains and just gets on with the task in hand day after day. :p

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

• 4 months later...

I bought the Synchronika because:-

- I went with the intention of buying a QM Verona came back with the ECM

- The ECM has twin stainless steel boilers.

- The insides are very tidy and well laid out. If they engineered the layout well, it's likely they engineered the parts well.

- The wife used to live in Heidelberg.

- I preferred the look - the shallower drip tray looks better.

I've had it two months now and love it. I need to plumb it in though and for that I need to buy and fit a BWT filter I think.

- The wife used to live in Heidelberg.

I love this reason.

We bought some taps a few years back because we decided that basically all taps are pretty boring, so we chose a manufacturer whose factory we had kept driving past on a really nice holiday we had just been on in Italy.

:)

• 2 months later...

Although i’ve not received mine yet (awating delivery of a brand new one), my reasons were:

- Although i love them, i couldn’t see myself justifying the price difference for a Linea Mini

- The brewing temperature control and consistency (according all the info around)

- Stainless Steel boilers

- Quality and attention to detail

• 2 months later...

I have had my Profitec 700 twined with an Eureka Zenith 65e for about three weeks..

I went for it after trawling the web and this forum

i loved the enthusiasm Todd from whole latte love showed how it was so easy to work on.

i particularly wanted something that after the warranty ran out could be worked on easily ..

everthing seemingly accessible..

i also noticed that they don’t get sold on very often..

It looks to be very well made

I did have a problem with a squeak from new which needed me to strip down the E61 group ..Earlier than expected The nut holding the lever assembly was torqued on harder than my wheel nuts..

i would be interested if other people had similar

Made great coffee from start and really happy with it

I used to have a zenith 65e, was a delight to use. Sometimes i wish I'd just kept it really, Flipping upgraditis...

I have a different machine (R58) but essentially the e61 groups are much of a muchness. It can indeed be very difficult to get the lever spindle nuts off. I don't know if they're over tightened in the factory or if the heat cycling somehow makes them tend to get tight, but i share your experience. I've had my group apart many times and even though i don't apply much torque putting it back together, it often seems a mission to take it apart the next time!

It's generally recommended to use an adjustable wrench with plastic jaw protectors. However, i find that these plastic bits can deform and cause the wrench to slip. I can't help but think purchasing the correct sizes of ring spanner would be better.

Also, put something like a bit of cardboard or a thin plastic chopping board between the spanner and the front of the machine just to be extra safe. And remember if you're having to exert much force on that big nut, it is a good idea to put the portafilter in the group and pull up on it to oppose the torque from the spanner, so you don't risk putting too much strain on the front panel.

___

Eat, drink and be merry

Hot meal thanks for the reply

I do all my own mechanics etc and have every size spanner , except a 36mm which I have now bought ..

Im not a big lover of adjustables ..

I had to take out the whole lever system to put it in a vice (with permission of supplier) to get nut off with an 18inch socket bar.. the supplier is going to replace the nut ..

It would be nice to have a bit more room between both nuts..

After all I have read on here the E61 strip clean and grease should be quite regular occurrence .

But loving the machines and more to the point the coffee

I used to have a zenith 65e, was a delight to use. Sometimes i wish I'd just kept it really, Flipping upgraditis...

I have a different machine (R58) but essentially the e61 groups are much of a muchness. It can indeed be very difficult to get the lever spindle nuts off. I don't know if they're over tightened in the factory or if the heat cycling somehow makes them tend to get tight, but i share your experience. I've had my group apart many times and even though i don't apply much torque putting it back together, it often seems a mission to take it apart the next time!

It's generally recommended to use an adjustable wrench with plastic jaw protectors. However, i find that these plastic bits can deform and cause the wrench to slip. I can't help but think purchasing the correct sizes of ring spanner would be better.

Also, put something like a bit of cardboard or a thin plastic chopping board between the spanner and the front of the machine just to be extra safe. And remember if you're having to exert much force on that big nut, it is a good idea to put the portafilter in the group and pull up on it to oppose the torque from the spanner, so you don't risk putting too much strain on the front panel.

___

Eat, drink and be merry

Please don't use a ring spanner, it will damage the chrome. The jaws slip because you open them too wide...they have to be opened slightly small and then the give in the jaws and slop in the thread allow the jaws to open far enough as you "push" them onto the nut.. I do however wish they would make them with hard fibre jaw protectors. At some point when my jaw protectors wear out....I will buy some fibre (or hard fibre floor tile) and probably cut and glue (epoxy) it onto the jaws.

I use a little Molycote on the thread when I do them up, but you might also try doing the group at the different temperatures you normally would when undoing e.g. try when cold, try when warming up, say after 10 or 15 minutes, and try when fully hot....for one of those it will come off easy.

Next time you are round we can go through it.....

Nothing here...

DavidCUk thanks for that ..

I had a squeak from new when brewing and the nut was done up very very very tight on the lever assembly ..

All the other nuts were all ok and I taped them and used the bahco adjustable ..

Ive replaced all the internal valves etc supplied by supplier and now all good re squeak ..

when Checking the lever spindle had a very slight bend ..

ive followed your advice from reading the forums and greased the threads etc..

thank again for replying