IGNORED

What made you go for an ECM/Profitec

Now we have a subforum, we should use it!

I bought mine because I love German made things. I know most of it is machined in Italy by Bezzera, but I love that they have added flourishes to it and I get a warm fuzzy feeling of reliability from it. Don't know why, but I do.

I got a Mechanika which can be plumbed or tank fed and has a rotary pump.

When I bought my Pro 700, my requirements was a Double Boiler machine. Between the Alex Duetto, and Quick Mill Verona and Pro 700, I chose it purely based on aesthetics, as all the machines are comparable. Great machine, would be even better if it had drain valves at the bottom though.

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

The built in timer helped swing my choice towards the Pro 700, this small feature is often not as well appreciated as it might be. Starting the timer automatically when the lever is lifted is just so convenient and minimises clutter. I had a good look inside mine before buying and the BB Engineer confirmed they are reliable in addition to being well laid out and engineered. SS Boilers, dual loop PID control, lots of cup clearance with removable step up tray provided - they seem to have covered all the essentials.

I've had mine a good few months and it produces lovely, consistent shots. I am very happy with my choice.

It took me an age to decide between the R58, which I had been lusting over for years, and the Pro 700.

For me, the big turn off was the detachable PID controller on the Rocket, it jsut seemed a messy solution.

The shot timer on the 700 was a massive reason for choosing that machine. I had one on my PID-ed Classic, so I couldn't imagine not having it on my new machine.

I think the Rocket looks nicer on the outside, but the Pro 700 is better on the inside, where it matters.

Aaron

Another ECM owner here :-)

I actually went to BB mainly to look at the Bezera machines, but after lots of time with Marko, lots of coffee (from the ECM) I ended up with the ECM Barista....

The build quality and pure beauty of the machine sold it for me (as well as it makes great coffee - well I guess in this league they all do !) It's also great at frothing/foaming milk - which I've not done much until I got the ECM and my daughter suddenly developed a taste for Macchiato/Cappucino....

I've had it for around a month now and still admire it every time I go in the kitchen - and I'm sure I will continue to do so for a long, long time !!!

• 2 months later...

Hi another ECM owner here as well,

I bought mine from a very nice chap on this very forum. I came down the more or less usual route with a Gaggia and was saving the pennies for something a bit more capable of steaming milk and making great espresso. I was also looking for an all stainless steel machine as I like the look.

I have a Mechanika 111 pro (the one with the leavers) for about six months now and loving and coffee it produces. The Gaggia is in my office now so I have my cake and eat it.

• 5 weeks later...

ECM owner here, was going for a Rocket but after some time playing with the ECM's in BB I splurged for the Mechanika pro, love the lever controls too and found the feeling of build quality was what I'd expect from a premium product as some of the others didn't seem quite a solid. Very happy so far, probably doing a terrible job using it but the coffee seems to be good to me so am very happy. Thinking of plumbing it in in future, but need to work out which connections to use for the drip tray as I think you have to drill a hole in the middle which doesn't sound great for a new toy.

Looking to get a Profitec 500. I mainly do flat white/cappuccino with an occasional espresso. Just 3 cups a day max.

It seems to be very well built. seen many good reviews and video's of it, soon it will be a trip over to BB and hands on with it and a look at some similarly priced machines with Marko.

Looking to get a Profitec 500. I mainly do flat white/cappuccino with an occasional espresso. Just 3 cups a day max.

It seems to be very well built. seen many good reviews and video's of it, soon it will be a trip over to BB and hands on with it and a look at some similarly priced machines with Marko.

Bear in mind the 500 is a Heat Exchanger machine, and not a dual boiler. It will require cooling flushes, which mean 5oz of water or thereabouts wasted per shot session.

If you are planning on using bottled water, please consider the above.

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Bear in mind the 500 is a Heat Exchanger machine, and not a dual boiler. It will require cooling flushes, which mean 5oz of water or thereabouts wasted per shot session.

If you are planning on using bottled water, please consider the above.

On that note, is bottled water a good idea? Will it still scale up the machine, or is filtered mains water better?

On that note, is bottled water a good idea? Will it still scale up the machine, or is filtered mains water better?

I do believe the general consensus of this Forum is that the best thing is to use bottled water if you live in a hard water area.

Saying that, not all bottled water are soft. In fact, some, like Evian, are even harder than London Water.

Basically you want to have water which is low in calcium, with a TDS no greater than 150 mg/l. the UK, these are (from softer to harder):

- Tesco Ashbeck

- Volvic

- Waitrose Essentials.

That said, espresso needs some mineral content (which makes the water harder) in order to give a decent taste, so using a too soft water may not give you the best taste. The idea of using one of those brands is so that a compromise can be achieved and your machine won't be scaled up.

@Glenn has been using Volvic exclusively for a couple of years now and his machine has no signs of limescale, which is a very encouraging sign.

Some members of this forum use a mixture of above, some use straight. Some use an inline water filter (usually if you have it plumbed-in).

There are loads of information regarding water quality in this forum.

I do believe the general consensus of this Forum is that the best thing is to use bottled water if you live in a hard water area.

Saying that, not all bottled water are soft. In fact, some, like Evian, are even harder than London Water.

Basically you want to have water which is low in calcium, with a TDS no greater than 150 mg/l. the UK, these are (from softer to harder):

- Tesco Ashbeck

- Volvic

- Waitrose Essentials.

That said, espresso needs some mineral content (which makes the water harder) in order to give a decent taste, so using a too soft water may not give you the best taste. The idea of using one of those brands is so that a compromise can be achieved and your machine won't be scaled up.

@Glenn has been using Volvic exclusively for a couple of years now and his machine has no signs of limescale, which is a very encouraging sign.

Some members of this forum use a mixture of above, some use straight. Some use an inline water filter (usually if you have it plumbed-in).

There are loads of information regarding water quality in this forum.

Many thanks for the advice, will have to look into it as just been using Brita filtered water and I'm in London so not sure that is enough.

London is a funny one. If you strip the mineral content out, the taste becomes affected. there are some inline filter systems, Coffee Hit sell them and the name escapes me now but someone will chip in. best use one of the three bottled types mentioned otherwise your machine is not going to last long!

The advantage of being a Silver member....

• 8 months later...

Bought the Mechanika and a s-automatic 64 grinder today.

After reading about many satisfied owners on the web and on this forum.

I also have a local dealer, so it was a easy choice to buy Ecm.

Choosing between Mechanika and Technika took weeks, both are beautiful.

After using 250g coffee to roughly dial in the shot, my latte taste very good.

I guess it gets even better after learning to use the machine(s) and fine tune my skills.

My latte art is almost non existent so far, so lots of room for improvement.

Bought a Motta also, so I can't blame the equipment.

The steam is easy to handle and the joysticks are nice to use.

Like the grinder also, little to no clumping after (roughly) dialing it in.

Easy to distribute the coffee in the portafilter, have not used the timer yet.

Use a fine grind with a light, but firm tamp.

Very satisfied so far.

I just hope that I can get some sleep tonight... :-)

I guess it gets even better after learning to use the machine(s) and fine tune my skills.

Very satisfied so far.

Hi there, welcome to the forum!

I have a Profitec (machine and grinder) and I am very happy with them.

Why not go to the Introductions section of the forum and tell us more about you, your coffee journey, how did you get into espresso, where you live etc?

Once again, welcome!

• 1 month later...

My experience was much like @Andythepole - I did the research, had a shortlist of the usual suspects e.g. Rocket etc and then when I saw them in the flesh at BB the Mechanika stood out clearly in terms of quality and quality of construction.

And in the end it was the only one that met all my requirements - it's relatively short height made it a no brainer as mine fits in under standard UK kitchen worktop cabinets...... and still has room to put espresso cups on top for warming :-)

Even the way the steam and water wands move was a class above the other machines for me, even ones costing £1k more.

Mine has just been plumbed in too so can keep it under cabinets and not move it.

• 2 months later...

As I had a Dual Boiler before I wanted to go for a Dual Boiler again, but this time with a rotary pump and a larger brew boiler.

After seeing the design and inspecting the build quality I knew that it had to be the Syncronika. The Insulation and the stainless steel boilers made it perfect for me. Together with a decent offer for a showroom mashine I went for it and do not regret it at all.

• 1 month later...

Very satisfied so far.

That's the set-up I'm leaning towards. Are you happy with it? Seems like the ECM grinder is relatively new to the market, but the specs look good and it matches the ECM machines well. Any advice?

I thought about the s-automatic 64 as I thought it would look lovely combined to my Elektronika but read a few to many bad opinions and not enough positive to take the plunge with it.

I chose the EMC Elecktronika as I feel it one of the best single E62 group head espresso machines with volumetric control on the market. And their aren't many E61.

I thought about the s-automatic 64 as I thought it would look lovely combined to my Elektronika but read a few to many bad opinions and not enough positive to take the plunge with it.

I chose the EMC Elecktronika as I feel it one of the best single E62 group head espresso machines with volumetric control on the market. And their aren't many E61.

On the grinder, I also didn't read great reviews about it. I think you are better off with the Titan 64, which is a pimped version of the Profitec T64. They have a more powerful motor and a funnel design.

That's the set-up I'm leaning towards. Are you happy with it? Seems like the ECM grinder is relatively new to the market, but the specs look good and it matches the ECM machines well. Any advice?

Hi,

The Mechanika is excellent, was a bit worried to go for hx since earlier experience was a singel boiler Silvia.

But the Mechanika is easy to temp surf and I'm very satisfied.

I'm also very happy with the grinder.

Nice size, easy to adjust, even grind, quick, "silent" and nice room to adjust portafilter to get even distribution.

(I had a Rocky earlier, so I'm not very experienced on grinders.)

No buyer remorse and would not hesitate to buy the same equipment again

Hope this helps

Edited by Jabbalabba