DavecUK

Coffee - cleanliness is next to godliness

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Obidi said:

Hi @DavecUK  Following on from my previous posts, I've now re-done lubricating the cam, making sure to lift the lever to the neutral position before removing.  The cam was easier to get in this time with a little help jiggling with the lever arm.

I have a specific question for you Dave. On the automatic pre-infusion ( 4 secs on and 6 secs off ) the pump switches off, but should the water still drip through the shower screen?  It is dripping, not a clean stop of the flow. I thought that before I lubed the cam it was a clean stop of flow, but now I'm doubting myself.

@DavecUK Yes, there is still water in the system, it must drip.  It was such a faff getting the cam in the first time, I really thought I'd done something wrong. I could have sworn the water stopped during the pre-infusion - It's my age, memory not what it used to be..........🙄😃

Edited by Obidi

Lelit Bianca/Mazzer Major/Several odd cups, one milk jug and a yen to do good latte art/ Four horses/four cats/3 dogs/7 chickens. :o

13 hours ago, richwade80 said:

It’s a lot easier if you remove the cam / spindle from the ‘housing’. This way you can wiggle it in much better and the slide the housing over after. And you can clean/grease up the spindle too.

If you already did this, ignore me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Rich,  I tried this, but eventually got it in with the housing but using the lever arm to wiggle it.

• Like 1

Lelit Bianca/Mazzer Major/Several odd cups, one milk jug and a yen to do good latte art/ Four horses/four cats/3 dogs/7 chickens. :o

Not strictly cleaning, more maintenance. 

After de-scaling my machine I noticed that the steam wand was creaking and groaning also quite stiff. (I do use Volvic).

A simple job to undo the swivel nut,  catch the spring and ball seat and give them a clean with K/roll.

A light smear of our old friend Dow 111 to the seal , ball and ball seat, centre the spring and compress while refitting the nut.

Repeat on water arm ,job done. What a difference:classic_biggrin:

You should clean with Puly and remove the lever+cam for cleaning. If you don't you will get problems and it can affect taste.
http://coffeetime.wikidot.com/e61-lubrication
There is even a video to show you how.

Just lubed the cam on my Lelit Mara@DavecUK. Your video and instructions were spot on and I would have struggled without them - many thanks

Tim
  • Like 1

Lelit Mara 62, Niche Grinder, Decent Espresso tamper, V60, CCD, Aeropress, French Press, Moka pot, Kinu M47, Feldgrind, Porlex Mini, Kawasaki Versys 650 mk1