DavecUK

Coffee - cleanliness is next to godliness

1 hour ago, Obidi said:

Hi @DavecUK  Following on from my previous posts, I've now re-done lubricating the cam, making sure to lift the lever to the neutral position before removing.  The cam was easier to get in this time with a little help jiggling with the lever arm.

I have a specific question for you Dave. On the automatic pre-infusion ( 4 secs on and 6 secs off ) the pump switches off, but should the water still drip through the shower screen?  It is dripping, not a clean stop of the flow. I thought that before I lubed the cam it was a clean stop of flow, but now I'm doubting myself.

@DavecUK Yes, there is still water in the system, it must drip.  It was such a faff getting the cam in the first time, I really thought I'd done something wrong. I could have sworn the water stopped during the pre-infusion - It's my age, memory not what it used to be..........??

Edited by Obidi

Lelit Bianca/Mazzer Major/Several odd cups, one milk jug and a yen to do good latte art/ Four horses/four cats/3 dogs/7 chickens. :o

13 hours ago, richwade80 said:

It’s a lot easier if you remove the cam / spindle from the ‘housing’. This way you can wiggle it in much better and the slide the housing over after. And you can clean/grease up the spindle too.

If you already did this, ignore me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Rich,  I tried this, but eventually got it in with the housing but using the lever arm to wiggle it.

• Like 1

Lelit Bianca/Mazzer Major/Several odd cups, one milk jug and a yen to do good latte art/ Four horses/four cats/3 dogs/7 chickens. :o

Not strictly cleaning, more maintenance. 

After de-scaling my machine I noticed that the steam wand was creaking and groaning also quite stiff. (I do use Volvic).

A simple job to undo the swivel nut,  catch the spring and ball seat and give them a clean with K/roll.

A light smear of our old friend Dow 111 to the seal , ball and ball seat, centre the spring and compress while refitting the nut.

Repeat on water arm ,job done. What a difference:classic_biggrin:

You should clean with Puly and remove the lever+cam for cleaning. If you don't you will get problems and it can affect taste.
http://coffeetime.wikidot.com/e61-lubrication
There is even a video to show you how.

Just lubed the cam on my Lelit Mara@DavecUK. Your video and instructions were spot on and I would have struggled without them - many thanks

Tim
  • Like 1

Niche Grinder, Decent Espresso tamper, V60, CCD, Aeropress, French Press, Moka pot, Kinu M47, Feldgrind, Porlex Mini, Kawasaki Versys 650 mk1

Yuck!!

How many times have I witnessed ‘baristas’ wiping the steam wand with a cloth that looks like it’s been  wiped around the toilet floor. The amount of filth/bacteria that’s then left on the wand for the next customers ‘milky drink’ must be innumerable! Then, I haven’t finished; they lift the now full cup/mug/bucket by the rim not the handle to place it on your saucer; after messing with hair, nose etc.

You wouldn’t eat your dinner off a plate that had just had a quick wipe with a gammy cloth so why do these filthy practices prevail do much in commercial establishments.!

• Like 2

Question please I attached an image is the seal part number 1968 in the drawing the one you need removing regularly and re greasing please?

0A7EF8E3-F421-4567-869F-EBA525FBB789.jpeg

ECM Mechanika V Slim.   Osmio Zero.
Eureka Mignon.
Sage dtp  Retired La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi 2 R.I.P

Just gave a cleanup to my little Dedica which is still in service until I have all the bits in my hands to fully commission my little old Baby. 

WOW, the coffee was bad before, so much better now! Among the things coming is some caffiza to really clean up the baby before use.

Gear:

Gaggia Baby 2001, Gaggia Color 2007, Delonghi Dedica, Severin grinder, Marcfi badged Compak K6 2004

Sent from my grinder using smoke signals.

Maybe 3/4 months ago I did it.

Not my favourite job.

IMG_20200404_105847.jpg

• Like 1

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

Inspired me to clean my Gaggia, was rather nasty behind the shower screen, bit surprised any water made it through at all!

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, smatty said:

Inspired me to clean my Gaggia, was rather nasty behind the shower screen, bit surprised any water made it through at all!

Builds up quickly doesnt it. I take the screen and block off once a week when I empty and rinse out the tank.

• Like 1

On 09/12/2015 at 12:38, DavecUK said:

You have had your shiny new machine for a week now, perhaps longer...or perhaps you bought it a while ago. it may have cost you the thick end of £2000 to £2500 or more for machine and grinder. You are looking at things to improve the coffee, perhaps a refractometer, new tamper, different basket, better cups, different coffees, better jug, timer, expensive scales. Yes you name it and there is a product on the market just waiting to relieve you of your hard earned readies.

To all this frippery above....I say NO, first make sure you're cleaning the machine and portafilter properly. Get those hands out of your pockets and onto the machine to give it a bit of TLC. Here is my guide for the absolute minimum cleaning regime for any E61 or E61type machine...e.g. those pumped machines with a portafilter handle, basket and 3 way valve.

How often should you follow this cleaning regime clean = Every 2 - 3 days and daily for the portafilter handle and basket.

• Remove handle, remove basket. Clean both sides of basket with a non stick scrubby and detergent.
  • Clean portafilter handle (bowl) as above
  • Clean hole and spout/s with a small bottle brush and detergent
  • remove shower screen, clean both sides of basket with a non stick scrubby and detergent, be gentle on gasket if still attached to screen
  • Clean inside group, dispersion plate and gasket groove etc..with a non stick scrubby and detergent, be gentle.
  • Inspect group gasket, of flexible and not cracked continue to use. If hard and/or cracked...replace it you cheapskate. In general gaskets should be replaced every 9 -12 months on HX machines and every 12-15 months on dual boiler machines, regardless of condition.

Backflushing with cleaner doesn't really get any of this clean and it's main function is to clean the group venting system.

I know it seems excessive, but it's not and you will taste the difference, if you can't, then you should never waste your money on expensive coffee! You wouldn't use the same cup for 2 days would you, or the same spoon, people spend 1000s on acessories and kit, but many don't bother with the cleaning?

P.S. This is a less than 5m job, if it's taking you longer...you're doing it wrong.

Excuse the novice question Dave but can I double check that a non stick scrubby is just a non scratch dish one ( new odviosuly , not nicked from the sink)  and that detergent is dish soap or do you mean a chemical like pulycafe etc? I popped the shower screen out last night and gave it a brush and a soak but didn't use any soap or chemical so thought I'd double check before I pull it out again tomorrow 

Yes, and Yes, no not pulycafe and use a toothbrush with washing up liquid (detergent or dish soap) on the shower screen.

My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

2 minutes ago, DavecUK said:

Yes, and Yes, no not pulycafe and use a toothbrush with washing up liquid (detergent or dish soap) on the shower screen.

Grand, I'll do that tomorrow. I won't nick the wifes scrubby but can't guarantee I won't nick her spare toothbrush haha

What a fabulous topic ...and so obvious if you stop to think about it. This is common sense, which unfortunately is not too common.

This has therefore promoted me to do more regular thorough cleaning.

What I really don't understand is why, if this cleaning is as beneficial as it obviously is, don't manufacturers make machines easier to clean?

Even removing the shower screen is not that easy and the screw/threads do not look as if they are designed for daily use!

1 hour ago, mikebeblue said:

What a fabulous topic ...and so obvious if you stop to think about it. This is common sense, which unfortunately is not too common.

This has therefore promoted me to do more regular thorough cleaning.

What I really don't understand is why, if this cleaning is as beneficial as it obviously is, don't manufacturers make machines easier to clean?

Even removing the shower screen is not that easy and the screw/threads do not look as if they are designed for daily use!

Other than people who are interested in GOOD coffee would even bother to read the instructions let alone CLEAN the machine.

As you pointed out common sense is a very limited commodity. How many people even have a screwdriver to their name or can even change a fuse/ wire a plug.

In common with cars , if a light does not come on to say something is wrong of course it's alright!!!!:whistle:

1 hour ago, El carajillo said:

Other than people who are interested in GOOD coffee would even bother to read the instructions let alone CLEAN the machine.

In common with cars , if a light does not come on to say something is wrong of course it's alright!!!!:whistle:

Even people (enthusiasts) who spend thousands on kit don't clean their machines nearly enough.

Totally agree with the cars comment...people just use the machines and if there is not an obvious problem, if it's not in the handbook...then they think it's all good.

I suspect many with lever machines don't remove the shower screen and clean it often enough....

• Like 1

My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

At least with E61 shower screens they just pop off and can be easily washed every day. No tools required except maybe the handle of a group cleaning brush to help it off. On the Classic it was a PITA especially as the screw was a bit short and never wanted to go back in. E61 is much easier to clean, even whipping out the cam is no biggie once you've done it a couple of times.

___
Eat, drink and be merry

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R