DavecUK

Coffee - cleanliness is next to godliness

I get pissed if the Barista dos not at least rinse the basket after or before a shot and then wiped down with a cloth before grinding into the portafilter, preferable the barista also rinse the screen and wipe it down.

pitchers should not be washed by hand, unless one dos not have any other options. I put then in the dishwasher, and the pitchers looks perfectly fine and it is far more hygienic, as the agent used is far more aggressive and the temperature is allot higher.

Everything else is soaked and/or cleaned by hand, a couple of times a week.

Having seen allot of home equipment over the years, this thread should definitely be a sticky!

It is really not for the faint hearted, looking behind a shower screen can be quite disgusting.

Edited by malling

Coffee: Ek - Feldgrind- Brewista Kettle - Bonavita Scale - Hario V60 - Kalita Wave - FRVD Moka Pot - Sowden

I do the basket every shot. The luxury of doing it at home! Still put it through the dishwasher every so often for a deep clean. Shower screen, every week, but our volume is low.

Rocket Giotto Evoluzione v2, Eureka Zenith 65E, Niche grinder, Pharos grinder with VoodooDaddy mods, Eureka MDL, Torr Goldfinger, Smart Tamp. Various coffee stuff.

I do rinse between shots and dry with a microfiber cloth, and dust the outside of the shower screen every day (I only do ~3 shots a day) and then a proper clean once a week. The dishwasher, with two small time consuming people just makes life a bit quicker if its feasible.

Did someone say coffee?

:Gaggia Classic--> Nuova Simonelli Oscar--> fracino Cherub:Mazzer SuperJolly:Hario V60+aeropress+french press:

Helpful reminder that I haven't properly cleaned my machine for a while. Kind of hoping it would die to give an excuse to upgrade!

I do a cafiza backflush every 2 kilos or so and get loads of muck out despite the fact I do a single backflush after each shot. I've had the machine about 18 months and have never lubricated the grouphead. There appears to be no adverse effects whatsoever

I've read on here before that it's important to take it all apart and reassemble after each chemical clean to avoid damaging the lever. I'm concerned that I'm more likely to balls up the reassembling process than suffer a backflush breakdown.

I also know that coffee shops clean with cafiza and don't get the spanners and lube out each day.

I only use about 1/4 teaspoon of chemical as it's enough.

Do most people relube the group after every clean I am curious to discover?

I do a cafiza backflush every 2 kilos or so and get loads of muck out despite the fact I do a single backflush after each shot. I've had the machine about 18 months and have never lubricated the grouphead. There appears to be no adverse effects whatsoever

I've read on here before that it's important to take it all apart and reassemble after each chemical clean to avoid damaging the lever. I'm concerned that I'm more likely to balls up the reassembling process than suffer a backflush breakdown.

I also know that coffee shops clean with cafiza and don't get the spanners and lube out each day.

I only use about 1/4 teaspoon of chemical as it's enough.

Do most people relube the group after every clean I am curious to discover?

Well you don't know then that most coffee shops don't use E61 machines, but solenoid operated valves, so don't need lubing. I suspect you have never taken the lower or upper part of the group apart to inspect it. I also am

unclear as to whether you ever drop the shower screen to inspect it to see if it and the dispersion plate are really clean.

But you know what they say...

My reviews at http://coffeestuff.byethost12.com/ (now ad free)  Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ (old site)

You're right about knowing about the grouphead situation of coffee shop machines.

You're wrong about the shower screen thing though. That gets done every time I cafiza backflush, gasket cleaned. I actually quite enjoy it. Anyway Dave, do you lube up every time you backflush?

My point was that by observation it appears fresh water backflushing doesn't get all the oils out, chemical cleaning however appears to the untrained eye to be better.

That leads me to the lubing situation. There is every chance I'm missing the point but I was wondering how necessary it is for the longevity of the machine. That's it really...

You're right about knowing about the grouphead situation of coffee shop machines.

You're wrong about the shower screen thing though. That gets done every time I cafiza backflush, gasket cleaned. I actually quite enjoy it. Anyway Dave, do you lube up every time you backflush?

My point was that by observation it appears fresh water backflushing doesn't get all the oils out, chemical cleaning however appears to the untrained eye to be better.

That leads me to the lubing situation. There is every chance I'm missing the point but I was wondering how necessary it is for the longevity of the machine. That's it really...

I lubricate the cam after a Chemical backflush yes, it only takes a minute or two to do. I like to lube the spindle as well, so the spindle gaskets don't leak. A Cafiza backflush every 2 kilos is disgusting assuming you put even 1kilo per week through the machine, that's once every 2 weeks or less often. I drop the screen at least every 2 days and manually clean with a scrubby and washing up liquid. Water backflushing does little and cafiza backflushes only clean the lower half of the group, they do little to clean behind the shower screen....especially as you are only using 1/4 teaspoon, because "it's not enough".

Over the years I've tried to encourage people to be cleaner with their kit, mostly unsuccessfully. It beats me why people want to spend 1000s on gear and then not clean it. it's sort of like buying a £10,000 amplifier and only playing 96kb mp3s, or using some fancy Japanese cooking knife in the workshop on old bits of wood and metal, before preparing a meal with it, also never sharpening it....it's a madness I don't understand and I have seen many machines owned by people who think they have looked after them well.....but they haven't.

You will get lots of advice on whose expensive beans to get, how to use expensive scales, using expensive refractometers, expensive autotampers etc.. however the best way to make a huge improvement is free...keep the business end of the machine...portafilter, basket, shower screen etc.. clean clean clean, as clean as you can. of course it't not sexy, exciting, spending loads of money...but it's the best advice you will ever get. The only reason I clean everything once per day, is because doing it more often is just a hassle.

But...like all my other posts on the subject, I am sure I am just wasting my time....and in a few months the advice to new owners of prosumer machines will be the usual get a better grinder, tamper, scales, refractometer, better water etc.. etc.., but not ONE person will say...keep the machine really clean. if you don't believe me, go look at all the posts.

My reviews at http://coffeestuff.byethost12.com/ (now ad free)  Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ (old site)

Well that's certainly told you, Paul.

I bet you wish you'd never asked now.

A recently acquired ECM Mechanika Profi Rotary Pump + an equally recent Eureka Olympus 75 which, apparently, has Titanium burrs...which I gather is a good thing :-)

Over the years I've tried to encourage people to be cleaner with their kit, mostly unsuccessfully.

just so you know it's not falling on deaf ears, my machine is cleaner than Mrs Migons floor the time she dropped a bucket of hot soapy water after a bad bout of OCD - that's mainly because what you've taken the time to write on here, so thanks Dave, message received loud and clear! :)

Yuxo09y.jpg

Blimey! Someone's tired

My machine IS clean Daviduk

I DO remove the shower screen and clean thoroughly.

My coffee tastes great and I don't spend thousands on gear.

So when your knickers untwist please can you explain to me why I need to Lube as my machine shows no ill effects? Surely there is no impact on flavour?!

I'm not saying I don't need it, I was just trying to find out whether I really need to disassemble my machine.

Aside from that I disagree with the cafiza dose being too low. the evidence is in the dark gunk which comes out of the exhaust which runs totally clear in about 7 flushes.

It's all very well to say it is "disgusting" to clean up at 2 Kilo intervals. Please articulate why you find it so. The manner in which you have written it doesn't make it too clear. Is it too regular? Not regular enough?

For the record, I completely agree that a clean cheap machine is better than a filthy expensive one. I recognise that the best coffee comes from clean kit. Which explains why I have secondhand gear in a favourable state of hygiene.

Just got hold of some Puly Baby to give my Silvia its first descale...better than the stronger stuff like Oust?

Anyway, I assume I also flush the solution through the steam wand?

ACS Minima, Niche Zero and a VST 18g ridged basket.

Just wanted to put this thread up there again that more might be inclined to read

Fitted my new seals and took the time to de-gunk old grease and the shower screen got a proper seeing to as well ....

I have been wanting to do that for ages but getting it off was an issue... I was loathe to try harder for fear of damage, anyway, the puly caff did the job judging from the colour of the solution after a half hour soak and now I get to see through all the perforations. A spare is now on my list so I can rotate their use and keep them sparkling.

Some of you may remember me saying my taste buds are shot from years of smoking..... well, even I can tell the difference

eh..my boss at the café sometimes doesn't even bother to clean the steam wand properly..I mean she makes it clean from the outside but when the machine gets hot in the morning, I usually fill a milk pitcher with water and 'froth' it..usually takes three water changes to get rid of white-ish gunk stuck inside...blimey

and dropping the shower screens? when I started to work there it was the first time after 5 months of use..don't ask how it looked..and these are the IMS ones and a Puly backflush is done every evening...but she would never let it soak, not even for 10 minutes, just the typical 5x 10 second flush and should be all clean, right? :p

The peculiarity of espresso beverage is the simultaneous presence of three dispersed phases coexisting within a matrix, namely a concentrated solution of salts, acids, sugars, caffeine and many other hydrophilic substances. These phases are: an emulsion of oil droplets, a suspension of solid particles and an effervescence of gas bubbles, which evolves into a foam.

MildredM's towels, joey24dirt's tamper, Norvin's dosing ring, Portaspresso Rossa PG Air and HC-P, Kinu M68, Feld47 travel, Aergrind, Bellman steamer, IMS baskets, Hario Syphon TC3, Java Maestro dripper, Chemex, French press, Gnali & Zani moka pot, Bonavita kettle & scales, BWT Bestmax Premium

I gave miss silvia a deep cleaning today, feels so good :)

30 minutes with puly soaking the group head with removed dispersion screen, and rinza for the wand with unscrewed tip, scrubbing the head and all parts, also going up that wand with steamy wanda :)

followed by with 2 hours of de-scaling with 10% citric acid solution, twice exchanging the solution..damn strong, I've got few drops on my skin and could feel the power :D

The peculiarity of espresso beverage is the simultaneous presence of three dispersed phases coexisting within a matrix, namely a concentrated solution of salts, acids, sugars, caffeine and many other hydrophilic substances. These phases are: an emulsion of oil droplets, a suspension of solid particles and an effervescence of gas bubbles, which evolves into a foam.

MildredM's towels, joey24dirt's tamper, Norvin's dosing ring, Portaspresso Rossa PG Air and HC-P, Kinu M68, Feld47 travel, Aergrind, Bellman steamer, IMS baskets, Hario Syphon TC3, Java Maestro dripper, Chemex, French press, Gnali & Zani moka pot, Bonavita kettle & scales, BWT Bestmax Premium

eh..my boss at the café sometimes doesn't even bother to clean the steam wand properly..I mean she makes it clean from the outside but when the machine gets hot in the morning, I usually fill a milk pitcher with water and 'froth' it..usually takes three water changes to get rid of white-ish gunk stuck inside...blimey

and dropping the shower screens? when I started to work there it was the first time after 5 months of use..don't ask how it looked..and these are the IMS ones and a Puly backflush is done every evening...but she would never let it soak, not even for 10 minutes, just the typical 5x 10 second flush and should be all clean, right? :p

There is now a very cheap solution to your problem....

https://coffeeforums.co.uk/showthread.php?38917-Ultra-sonic-bath-for-steam-wands

I gave miss silvia a deep cleaning today, feels so good :)

30 minutes with puly soaking the group head with removed dispersion screen, and rinza for the wand with unscrewed tip, scrubbing the head and all parts, also going up that wand with steamy wanda :)

followed by with 2 hours of de-scaling with 10% citric acid solution, twice exchanging the solution..damn strong, I've got few drops on my skin and could feel the power :D

Now put it away in the the back of a cupboard and forget about it 😉

It doesn't matter how you get there it's only the end result that matters

Now put it away in the the back of a cupboard and forget about it 😉

Or box her up and send to the new happy owner :)

Keeping it clean ... :-)

Weekly removal of seals and cleaning it with water.

Chemically backflushed every 6 weeks.

6b40e66a796a75fa9038affa1dfde2bb.jpg

View of the e61 bottom where the portafilter goes without the seal.

Edited by MediumRoastSteam
Added picture info

Really useful thread for someone who has just bought their first machine and wants to take good care of it.

Thanks for posting

Keeping it clean ... :-)

Weekly removal of seals and cleaning it with water.

Chemically backflushed every 6 weeks.

6b40e66a796a75fa9038affa1dfde2bb.jpg

View of the e61 bottom where the portafilter goes without the seal.

THis has shamed me into going home at lunchtime today to clean mine.

"Coffee: The Good, The Bad, and The Ayurvedic Perspective"

Behave yourself.

After reading this thread am I the only one ashamed now with the state of my home setup? Can't remember the last time I cleaned the shower screen on my L1...

T.

Espresso: Londinium L1, ZR-71 grinder

Photography: Flickr