IGNORED

Coffee - cleanliness is next to godliness

I use a bottomless PF exclusively. I always, religiously, wash the PF snd basket with running water and wipe it dry. it’s spotless, no staining, no smells, nothing. Just clean and shiny.

Question: is there any point in soaking the basket - and Maybe the PF - in PulyCaf now and again? 

• Thanks 1

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Also at: CoffeeTime Forum & Niche Zero Owners Group

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You have had your shiny new machine for a week now, perhaps longer...or perhaps you bought it a while ago. it may have cost you the thick end of £2000 to £2500 or more for machine and grinder. You are

Washing your cup? cleaning your coffee machine? you'll lose all the flavour..... Next you'll be telling me that the teapot needs scrubbing too. Heresy I say

I lubricate the cam after a Chemical backflush yes, it only takes a minute or two to do. I like to lube the spindle as well, so the spindle gaskets don't leak. A Cafiza backflush every 2 kilos is disg

Posted Images

For those who still believe that remedying is better than prevention... Watch this:

- Backflush your machine;
- Clean the shower screen periodically;
- Use good, boiler friendly water!

• Like 2

Current: Lelit Elizabeth / Niche Zero / VST baskets / Distilled water + 100mg NaCO3/L

Previous: Gaggia Classic | Eureka Mignon | Rocket Cellini Evo | Profitec 700 | Profitec T-64 | Gene Cafe CBR-101 | Kinu M68 | Feldgrind 2 | La Pavoni Europiccola 2012

Wow, that machine was being used by someone who had no concept of what needs to be done to keep the machine tip top 😲

After how many shots pulled should a pullycaff detergent back flush be used rather than just a water back flush ?

300 , 500 , 1000 ? I’ve no idea, up until now I’ve been removing the shower screen cleaning above it and back flushing with blind filter and water.

Posted (edited)

@Waitforme - If you have an E61, then I'd keep dropping the shower screen every other day or so and cleaning it (or daily, depending on usage). Every 6 weeks, backflush chemically and lube the cam. 

Edited by MediumRoastSteam
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

For those who still believe that remedying is better than prevention... Watch this:

- Backflush your machine;
- Clean the shower screen periodically;
- Use good, boiler friendly water!

That’s like watching a horror movie. If the tubing was that bad I’d hate to see the inside of the boiler. I like the touch of writing RIP on the front of the drip tray.

I feel dirty in my soul and I’m off to clean my machine.

Edited by Kjk
  • Like 2

PMA all day!

Might be a little off topic, but other than wiping and purging the steam wand after steaming milk, are there any other essentials to be carried out? I typically unscrew the nozzle and clean that fairly regularly but should I be doing anything in addition for the internals of the wand itself? (Using lelit Elizabeth) 

doing all the other cleaning advice listed above for the group etc 

thanks

1 minute ago, RobDGio said:

Might be a little off topic, but other than wiping and purging the steam wand after steaming milk, are there any other essentials to be carried out? I typically unscrew the nozzle and clean that fairly regularly but should I be doing anything in addition for the internals of the wand itself? (Using lelit Elizabeth) 

doing all the other cleaning advice listed above for the group etc 

thanks

5x10s of steam into a solution of detergent and 500ml water. 10x10s into clean water to rinse!

• Thanks 1

PMA all day!

On 10/04/2021 at 11:35, MediumRoastSteam said:

I use a bottomless PF exclusively. I always, religiously, wash the PF snd basket with running water and wipe it dry. it’s spotless, no staining, no smells, nothing. Just clean and shiny.

Question: is there any point in soaking the basket - and Maybe the PF - in PulyCaf now and again? 

Shiny basket! I take the screen, dispersion plate, screw, and basket and put it into a container with some puly and hot water for the Osmio for a soak. That then sits on the drip tray and I use that solution to give the exposed part of the group a clean with a brush and cloth. Once I put the shower screen etc back on, the machine goes on for the patented Hrybrid Backflish (TM). I keep a blind basket in the Lelit PF handle exclusively for backflushing.

0AE7C5CB-1304-4E4B-8A8D-BC85D375E441.jpeg

PMA all day!

1 minute ago, Kjk said:

Shiny basket! I take the screen, dispersion plate, screw, and basket and put it into a container with some puly and hot water for the Osmio for a soak. That then sits on the drip tray and I use that solution to give the exposed part of the group a clean with a brush and cloth. Once I put the shower screen etc back on, the machine goes on for the patented Hrybrid Backflish (TM). I keep a blind basket in the Lelit PF handle exclusively for backflushing.

0AE7C5CB-1304-4E4B-8A8D-BC85D375E441.jpeg

Thanks for replying. I also keep the blind basket in the lelit PF and do a hybrid backflush every two weeks. However, I never bothered to soak the basket into PulyCaf, nor the shower screen nor the dispersion plate. I did with the basket and shower screen once, but never really found worthwhile. I always rinse my coffee basket and shower screen after each shot. it's only me who drinks coffee so I don't make serial shots. 

Do you notice any difference in terms of taste/cleanliness after soaking in Puly? 

Posted (edited)

I put the whole portafilter head, shower screen, and dispersion plate into a hot puly caf solution last week for the first time and also got a nice shiny clean result, like Kjk’s picture above.That’s the first time I cleaned them that way (I normally wash these in warm soapy water) and was pleasantly surprised with the shiny result. I didn’t notice any difference in taste but the components weren’t very dirty prior to this anyway. I will repeat this every now and then I guess

Edited by JahLaza
  • Like 1

@JahLaza If you are not using a bottomless PF, then yes, you definitely need to soak in puly once a every week or so, depending on usage.

Yes, I don’t have a bottomless (yet!), so will need to maintain that level of cleanliness. I make about 6 coffees per day, clean the pf by soaking in warm soapy water every second evening or so but intend to increase that to every evening and wash it in puly caf weekly 

@MediumRoastSteam I’m not sure as I’ve always done it this way. It’s more if I’m bothering to unscrew it I may as well soak the whole thing and remove what I can before the back flush. 

It’s shiny and I know it’s clean, so that makes me feel good, which is enough for me!

PMA all day!

14 minutes ago, Kjk said:

@MediumRoastSteam I’m not sure as I’ve always done it this way. It’s more if I’m bothering to unscrew it I may as well soak the whole thing and remove what I can before the back flush. 

It’s shiny and I know it’s clean, so that makes me feel good, which is enough for me!

I’ll give it a go! Thanks!

16 minutes ago, JahLaza said:

clean the pf by soaking in warm soapy water every second evening

That doesn’t remove any of the coffee oils, so I’m not sure if there’s any point in doing so.

7 minutes ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

I’ll give it a go! Thanks!

Let me know if it tastes better, then there is more in it than me just feeling compelled.

Another good test would be to do the back flush without dropping the screen and seeing how clean those parts get with the detergent and back flush alone. I would never allow myself to do it though!

PMA all day!

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Kjk said:

Another good test would be to do the back flush without dropping the screen and seeing how clean those parts get with the detergent and back flush alone. I would never allow myself to do it though!

Oh! I’ve done that, many times, pretty sure there’s a post about that on the Elizabeth thread. With my routine to wipe the shower screen clean with a sponge cloth after every session, I found that backflushing does a pretty good job in keeping the dispersion plate and shower screen clean. 

Edited by MediumRoastSteam

19 hours ago, MediumRoastSteam said:

That doesn’t remove any of the coffee oils, so I’m not sure if there’s any point in doing so.

Now! Love that puly caf

64C1A756-D4D9-49B6-9370-E0CD26A1BF33.jpeg

FFE91610-0801-4849-B96A-C2F11604E80B.jpeg