DavecUK

Coffee - cleanliness is next to godliness

You have had your shiny new machine for a week now, perhaps longer...or perhaps you bought it a while ago. it may have cost you the thick end of £2000 to £2500 or more for machine and grinder. You are looking at things to improve the coffee, perhaps a refractometer, new tamper, different basket, better cups, different coffees, better jug, timer, expensive scales. Yes you name it and there is a product on the market just waiting to relieve you of your hard earned readies.

To all this frippery above....I say NO, first make sure you're cleaning the machine and portafilter properly. Get those hands out of your pockets and onto the machine to give it a bit of TLC. Here is my guide for the absolute minimum cleaning regime for any E61 or E61type machine...e.g. those pumped machines with a portafilter handle, basket and 3 way valve.

How often should you follow this cleaning regime clean = Every 2 - 3 days and daily for the portafilter handle and basket.

• Remove handle, remove basket. Clean both sides of basket with a non stick scrubby and detergent.
  • Clean portafilter handle (bowl) as above
  • Clean hole and spout/s with a small bottle brush and detergent
  • remove shower screen, clean both sides of basket with a non stick scrubby and detergent, be gentle on gasket if still attached to screen
  • Clean inside group, dispersion plate and gasket groove etc..with a non stick scrubby and detergent, be gentle.
  • Inspect group gasket, of flexible and not cracked continue to use. If hard and/or cracked...replace it you cheapskate. In general gaskets should be replaced every 9 -12 months on HX machines and every 12-15 months on dual boiler machines, regardless of condition.

Backflushing with cleaner doesn't really get any of this clean and it's main function is to clean the group venting system.

I know it seems excessive, but it's not and you will taste the difference, if you can't, then you should never waste your money on expensive coffee! You wouldn't use the same cup for 2 days would you, or the same spoon, people spend 1000s on acessories and kit, but many don't bother with the cleaning?

P.S. This is a less than 5m job, if it's taking you longer...you're doing it wrong.

• Like 1

Crem One 2B DBPP (pre production version), ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DBPP (paddle flow control), Lelit Mara X Prototype, BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK, Eureka Atom Speciality 75, Eureka "Blow UP System", VDT Vibration thing: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

I keep my Chemex clean.

One of the reasons I like manual brewing is that I can see what I am doing. I keep looking at them, but I don't think I'll pull the trigger any time soon!

Chemex needs washing out every few months if in daily use with something like Cafiza to remove oils' build up.

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

That's an absolute positive agreement with DavecUK's post.

I never cease to be amazed at the condition some people allow their expensive machines to get into.

'Clenliness next to Godliness' should be the Words.

Cafiza & Puly are the Barista's best friends for repeatable quality coffee, Brewed or Espresso.

Ron 

It really should be a sticky, so all new members realise this is one of the most important things and too often neglected....I think because people assume with almost boiling water going through, the machines are "self cleaning". Same with that self cleaning water tank and those mouldy old filter attachments on the pipes inside the water tank!

Crem One 2B DBPP (pre production version), ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DBPP (paddle flow control), Lelit Mara X Prototype, BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK, Eureka Atom Speciality 75, Eureka "Blow UP System", VDT Vibration thing: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Personally I'm an advocate of the end of the daily use backflush with clean water. Simple and quick.

Ian

Minima ma ma ma Eureka Zenith

I never cease to be amazed at the condition some people allow their expensive machines to get into.

Agree with this. Glad it's not just my OCD with regards to cleaning! :)

Personally I'm an advocate of the end of the daily use backflush with clean water. Simple and quick.

Ian

make you feel gooood...but doesn't do very much. You still need to do the proper cleaning.

• Like 1

That was lesson no 1 on my coffeechap training.... a quick inspection of the machine a sideways glance and "most important thing, let me show you how to clean your machine" ;)

I've stuck this.

Amazes me how quickly the back of the shower screen gets absolutely caked in grot.

Another thing that absolutely should be done at least once a month for tank fed machines is to empty and wash the reservoir. Both the shower screen and the reservoir stay pretty clean on an L1, but an E61 based HX machine is really grimey after a few weeks.

• Like 1

Londinium 1, Pharos, Ceado e37s, Gene Cafe, Aerobie

Another thing that absolutely should be done at least once a month for tank fed machines is to empty and wash the reservoir. Both the shower screen and the reservoir stay pretty clean on an L1, but an E61 based HX machine is really grimey after a few weeks.

Once a month....once a month! Weekly young man and no longer than 2 weeks.

Washing your cup? cleaning your coffee machine? you'll lose all the flavour..... Next you'll be telling me that the teapot needs scrubbing too. Heresy I say :D

Call me odd but as well as regular head clean I back flush every shot and clear my basket with the steam wand every shot.

How I hate when I have a coffee from what's supposed to be a serious coffee shop and I can taste the machine is dirty.

I agree with you monkey66. ive often asked if they cleaned there machine last night. DUH, last week so called Barista didn't even know what a mazzer was.

Profitec 700 / Compak E8 RS

I bought a grinder recently which had been used allegedly for six months in a coffee shop. It did not appear to have been cleaned ever. After wrestling with the seized thread on the upper burr carrier (left hand thread) I managed to dismantle the machine. There was a thick deposit of coffee solids and oils inside which needed to be scraped off with the blade of a small screwdriver.

The vendor warned me that the grinder had been set up by an expert, and that on no account should the setting be disturbed. Right! Once I had cleaned the thing from its caked on residue of stale and rancid coffee I spent a happy and profitable day or so finding out its limits. The screw thread clearly not having been moved since it was first used it needed some lubrication. A brush with olive oil soon got it moving freely. It has a dosing store which holds the ground coffee and a dispensing lever. This will hold about 700 - 800 grams of coffee, I guess, never bothered to measure. I suspect that the thing was probably filled at the beginning of the day, and coffee dispensed as required. From the level of knowledge demonstrated by the vendor it wouldn't surprise me if ground coffee were to have been left overnight. The coffee shop closed down after six months. Surprise?

Wow the 'expert' must have been awesome if he managed to find a setting that never needed changing regardless of bean, humidity, age of bean post roast.

Sounds to me like someone thought "let's jump on the bandwagon and open a coffee shop. I'll use cheap beans, cheap labour and just tell them not to fiddle with anything, and I'll just count the money".

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

It has a dosing store which holds the ground coffee and a dispensing lever. This will hold about 700 - 800 grams of coffee, I guess, never bothered to measure. I suspect that the thing was probably filled at the beginning of the day, and coffee dispensed as required. From the level of knowledge demonstrated by the vendor it wouldn't surprise me if ground coffee were to have been left overnight. The coffee shop closed down after six months. Surprise?

This is one of my bugbears.

I see it all the time, the doser brimming with ground coffee.

If I see this I just cant have a coffee at that establishment. I dont even want to get into a conversation with them regarding how long ago the coffee was ground as I wouldnt believe them.

this is such poor practice and just no need to do it,, it doesnt save time,, what are they thinking ?

Quick question. Flinging bits in the dishwasher? Yes or no? Water tank, baskets, PF handle?my life revolves around our dishwasher....

Did someone say coffee?

:Gaggia Classic--> Nuova Simonelli Oscar--> fracino Cherub:Mazzer SuperJolly:Hario V60+aeropress+french press:

Quick question. Flinging bits in the dishwasher? Yes or no? Water tank, baskets, PF handle?my life revolves around our dishwasher....

Best not to.

I always put mine in the dishwasher

Espresso: Quick Mill Verona

Grinder: Mythos and loving it

Tampers: Reg Barber flat 58.35

In my experience anything made exclusively of stainless steel e.g. milk jugs, baskets etc. is fine in the dishwasher. Plastic or Bakelite not a good idea and anything chrome plated is a bad idea.

Rocket Giotto Evoluzione v2, Eureka Zenith 65E, Niche grinder, Pharos grinder with VoodooDaddy mods, Eureka MDL, Torr Goldfinger, Smart Tamp. Various coffee stuff.

What's wrong with a good old fashioned soak and scrub every day??? I get pissy if my baristas aren't whipping out the baskets and cleaning them every 5 shots or 20 minutes (whichever comes first).

'it's all about the microbubbubbles'