Sign in to follow this  
MarkT

Delonghi Magnifica Esam 4000.B

Hi All,

Please can I have some advice. Just found out that my family have bought a Delonghi coffee machine for me for Christmas. Wife told me off for looking for grinders and coffee machines. I was thinking of investing on Mazzar SJ and Giggia Classic.

Is Delonghi any good compare to the Giggia Classic?

I would be grateful for your advice.

many thanks in advance.

Mark.

Sage Barista Express, Aeropress, V60, Feldgrind, French press, Motta 53mm Tamper, 300 ml and 600ml Milk jug.

The Delonghi is a bean to cup machine and, as such, is a compromise. It will produce espresso and milk coffees but nowhere near as good as a Gaggia Classic/Super Jolly combo. That said, the latter will take up a little more space in the kitchen and require some practice but, once mastered, will deliver much better espresso. Best place to source a Classic and SJ is the 'for sale' thread on this forum. You could get both for a combined cost of £300 - the price of the Delonghi. Might be an idea to drop some hints that the Delonghi is a no no.

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

Thanks for the advice, I found out by accident as our garage door need replacing and I told my wife that we'll use the coffee machine fund and she said you don't want a coffee machine and under no circumstance I should buy one. Lol.

So after further investigations I found out that she was buying me that coffee machine. :(

Not in the good books now. Lol

Sage Barista Express, Aeropress, V60, Feldgrind, French press, Motta 53mm Tamper, 300 ml and 600ml Milk jug.

Ouch!

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

now it gets worse. Delonghi or no coffee machine. :( She doesn't think getting a second hand is a good idea and not willing to budge on the budget either.

So I just have to save up then.

I feel your pain! As a prior owner of such a machine there really is no comparison I'm afraid. As systematic kid says, you can get a second hand classic/SJ set up (with change to spare on extras like jugs, scales, tampers etc). We had one for a few years and they're just not very good.

DE1+, Monolith conical

Sorry to be so blunt!

DE1+, Monolith conical

No @mmmatron, it's just what I need, straight to the point. Ive been doing some research for the past few hours (spending precious chill time on sunday evening. lol) I rather get the SJ and Classic setup too. The missus also mentioned that the Delonghi only cost £200 made me think hang on a minute what the hell has she got me. lol.

I think it's the ESAM2800. Apparently it has great reviews and great write up. I'm sure it does but it's not what I wanted.

These machines often do, but they're judged in terms of 'push button get coffee'. Hope you can work through a compromise!

DE1+, Monolith conical

Yeah, I'm not keen on them, she had cancelled the order. So no Christmas present for me.

Well that doesn't me I can't buy one myself.

Gonna get a grinder first though.

Good call, there's always good stuff popping up in the for sale section. Best of luck in your search!

DE1+, Monolith conical