El carajillo

Windows 10

I'll update, a few of the improvements that interest me are:

The best improvement for me is one that has barely been talked about - svchost.exe will launch in a separate process for every service where memory allows.

Londinium R | Ceado E37S | Torr Goldfinger

Think the Creators Update got pushed (forced!) to one of my machines earlier and has just been installed prior to shutdown.

Be warned people, all of your privacy settings will be reset back to the defaults i.e. set to 'on' after this update and in case you missed it, Micro$oft recently released a detailed list of all of the data they will be collecting from users and it's pretty extensive to say the least!

Same shit they did to everyone when they rolled out the big December security upgrade. Everything got turned back to default settings which is of course 'on'.

Fairly sure most users aren't even aware of this. Evil shite if you ask me.

Pushing smth to machines prior to shutdown is a different class of evil shite. What's next? Waking machines remotely, forcing updates and shutting down before you come home?

Perhaps try switching all your other machines to metered connection via registry to avoid forced updates?

T.

Espresso: Londinium L1, ZR-71 grinder

Photography: Flickr

Was curious to check if indeed the Creators Update had been downloaded and installed along with any other updates, so just booted up again to check and no it hasn't.

Micro$oft have decided to do a soft rollout, if that's the correct term, rather than attempt to push the CU out to all Win 10 users at once and then no doubt crashing their main servers!

I did see a video recently that walked you through how to disable auto updating in the background for Windows 10. Haven't done it yet but may well do at some point so it's more like Windows 7 where you are prompted when there's new updates but ultimately you choose if/when to download or install them.

So it was only the updates which rolled the privacy settings back to default?

T.

My privacy settings haven't reverted back to default but watched a video earlier where an ex-employee of Micro$oft mentioned that WILL happen to every machine after the Creators Update has been installed. He went on to say that despite M$ 'claiming' that none of the information they collect from users is personally identifiable...it is and they even collect IMEI numbers from any devices that use mobile data and as you all know, that can definitely be traced back to an individual!

Pro-tip - Windows update settings -> advanced options -> defer feature updates.

It puts you on the "enterprise" track for updates, i.e. you only get them once they've been through the insider program first, and then the home users second, and all the kinks, quirks and issues have been worked out.

Londinium R | Ceado E37S | Torr Goldfinger

Here's the video.

Shocking really what M$ get up to!

That guy could eat a few less burgers.

Pro-tip - Windows update settings -> advanced options -> defer feature updates.

It puts you on the "enterprise" track for updates, i.e. you only get them once they've been through the insider program first, and then the home users second, and all the kinks, quirks and issues have been worked out.

Just wanted to highlight the above as Creators Update is already trying to force itself onto my PC, even though I've got my internet connection set to metered via registry. Here's an article in case you want to read up more on it, but @Mister_Tad already captured the gist of it all:

http://pureinfotech.com/prevent-windows-10-installing-creators-update/

T.

I highly recommend sasnet's modded version of Windows 10. It's pre-creators update. Most of the bundled software has been removed. You need a licence key to use it still.

The October Fall creators update is pissing me off. Windows is now bloated, old and downright offensive in the way it treats its users. Small insignificant things that do not affect the comfort and functionality in any meaningful way. I mean, whoopie, you can convert Word files to basic PDF with no editing now. What an achievement. MS is really losing touch with reality. Win 10 needs to die, and the next Windows to be good again. Once I set up OneDrive on my Mac properly, I'm staying there until Windows gets better.

Edited by JunoDawn

I hate them myself, won't touch Apple though, so I'm stuck. Same shit is happening with Android nowadays, changes for the sake of changing things without any major benefits, typically limited to silly cosmetic things or stuff people rarely use.

FYI Microsoft also likes to throw in the occasional data privacy settings reset with everything changing back to default and sending everything back to Microsoft HQ, so be sure to double check that.

T.

Fall Creators updates offers a lot of pretty useful security features (at least for enterprises). Worth reading here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/threat-protection/windows-defender-exploit-guard/windows-defender-exploit-guard

There is no way out of continues servicing model I am afraid. We live too fast to be able to wait for new features built into OS for 3 years.

Londinium R, etzMax Light-T, Baratza Forte BG