fluffles

Ceado E37S Owners Thread

A new and fresh annoyance with my e37 has started appearing.

Following the last forum Day, I have started grinding finer and tamping lighter, using lower pressure pour. I have found this has given a significant improvement in my extractions.

However, I am clearly on the lower limit of this grinder’s capabilities. I am using around “2”, but as the collar is adjustable I appreciate that means nothing for comparing to others.

Yesterday, I ground some Django Kibenga (roast 09/01/18) at 1.75, and had some seriously lovely espresso.

Today I come to the grinder and, without adjusting the collar, I find that the burrs spin but almost nothing comes out. Grinding for 6 seconds spat out about 8g.

The grinder then effectively “backs up” with grinds and shattered beans collecting on the hopper side of the burrs with none of the grinds passing through the burrs to the exit chute. If you keep trying to grind the problem gets worse and you need to remove the upper burr carrier, vac, and reassemble.

Massively annoying given time constraints in a morning!

This happens more often with light-medium roasts than darker roasts.

I think my answer is suck it up until I have upgraded my coffee machine, allowing me to grind slightly coarser and still extract well, but this is really annoying me when I know that the setup is capable of so much better....albeit it is very temperamental.

I don’t think there is a solution, so this is probably just venting. Would be interesting if anyone else has found the same.

@rob177palmer I’m still new to E37s, but I think ARSE mod might be clogging up your chute a bit too much? Changing to the SCC flap means there’s less clogging up.

I’m still in two minds as the ARSE mod was producing fluffier grind with no occasional spraying, but the retention seemed to be worse with it.

@rob177palmer I’m still new to E37s, but I think ARSE mod might be clogging up your chute a bit too much? Changing to the SCC flap means there’s less clogging up.

I’m still in two minds as the ARSE mod was producing fluffier grind with no occasional spraying, but the retention seemed to be worse with it.

I have so far resisted the ARSE, and stuck with the SCC.

You do make an interesting point tho - I thought my SCC was fully retracted (I have accepted the inevitable spray) but maybe I have a little adjustment left. I will check that tonight.

Over recent days my E37 s has taken to suddenly jetting coffee intermittently. Some shots spot on in the basket others straight out over worktop.

Heat / humidity varying static ??

That was my conclusion as to the cause of my problem. It has to be these factors, just flipping frustrating when it takes 3 shots to dial in a great espresso, then turn off until the next day and start again from scratch!

Over recent days my E37 s has taken to suddenly jetting coffee intermittently. Some shots spot on in the basket others straight out over worktop.

Which SCC flap have you got Frank? Rubber one, or metal one? Have you modded it (ARSE mod for example) at all?

I had the odd random spray with the rubber flap, but changed to the metal flap ages ago and have never seen a worktop sprayer since.

Lots of everything: machines, grinders, roaster, beans, tampers, baskets, blah, blah

However - Too much is never enough!

It is the metal one, usually absolutely fine but over the last few days it intermittently throws it's rattle out:dummy:

A slight tweak of the screw and it is behaving again.:confused:

Hope you were twiddling screws to grind a decaff at this time!!

I’m getting closer to being able to purchase an e37s.

I usually make one or two cups a day though not really a fan of any any single dosing mods.

Does this grinder suffer badly with popcorning if the hopper only has maybe 2 cups worth of beans in and is it noticeable in the cup?

Plumbed in Vesuvius - BWT Bestmax - Niche in Black. Aeropress and Aergrind

Live and Let Live

I’m getting closer to being able to purchase an e37s.

I usually make one or two cups a day though not really a fan of any any single dosing mods.

Does this grinder suffer badly with popcorning if the hopper only has maybe 2 cups worth of beans in and is it noticeable in the cup?

NO, I have found it to be very good

I wouldn't say it popcorns particularly. The penultimate shot is usually ok, but there are signs of chaff and it runs a bit quick. The last one out before empty usually ends in the sink. I try to keep a reasonable amount in the hopper, obviously a bean runs out at some point, and the last one is usually scrap. I would not recommend this grinder for single dosing personally. I would be waiting for the Niche to come out if I was saving up for a single doser.

Caveat: I have never tried. Probably if you are single dosing you'd have the grind set a lot finer to start with. My comments relate only to trying to grind the last 18g in what was a full hopper. Maybe there's ways to make it work - I know @DavecUK has a Ceado E92 conical that he's modded for single dosing, maybe you can do similar with this?

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

Thanks hotmetal - this thread already has workable single dosing mods in it I think.

I may well wait for the Niche but if it ends up autumn then is too long really

Plumbed in Vesuvius - BWT Bestmax - Niche in Black. Aeropress and Aergrind

Live and Let Live

I generally use an acrylic tube and sometimes the small hopper, I never single dose and think it would be a PIA to try. Once set for bean and dose it is

very accurate = output.

Hope you were twiddling screws to grind a decaff at this time!!

No it was "The Bloke" from Monsoon (about 8pm) fortunately it does not particularly affect my sleep:D

Yeah, unfortunately the last shot ends up in the sink.

It wouldn’t be a problem if you can get the rest of the beans easily for brewed coffee. They are stuck between the hopper and burrs, so it’s a bit of tedious work to do so.

New member here. I have been trying to find out information on the Ceado grinders. I have found a few online coffee machine vendors who stock the Ceado grinders, however does anyone know if there is bricks and mortar store where I could go and view the grinders? I am West Midlands based but make the odd trip down to London which I expect may give me my best chance of viewing the Ceado range. Any pointers would be appreciated.

That would be Bella Barista if they have one out, just a quick phone call will be enough.

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

BB are out of stock at the moment, don't know if they have any on display. It would be a long journey to see one and not able to buy if you wanted one.

New member here. I have been trying to find out information on the Ceado grinders. I have found a few online coffee machine vendors who stock the Ceado grinders, however does anyone know if there is bricks and mortar store where I could go and view the grinders? I am West Midlands based but make the odd trip down to London which I expect may give me my best chance of viewing the Ceado range. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Do you know which one you are interested in ?

Probably the E37s. Reason being I like the idea of minimising the residual ground coffee in the grinder. I gather this feature is one of the E37s strengths. I likely wont be making many coffees on a daily basis so this kind of grinder would suit.

there may well be other suitable options, I am open to suggestions as this is all new to me.

Probably the E37s. Reason being I like the idea of minimising the residual ground coffee in the grinder. I gather this feature is one of the E37s strengths. I likely wont be making many coffees on a daily basis so this kind of grinder would suit.

there may well be other suitable options, I am open to suggestions as this is all new to me.

While it's not out yet, the niche may suit you quite nicely for it's lack of retention. Think it may still be available to order at it's lower pre-release price too.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

I want to grind 250g in one hit, would this be a problem for the 37s? I come from the Mazzer Mini Electronic world where you're not meant to run the motor for more than 30 seconds due to overheating.

Londinium 1, Pharos, Ceado e37s, Gene Cafe, Aerobie

I want to grind 250g in one hit, would this be a problem for the 37s? I come from the Mazzer Mini Electronic world where you're not meant to run the motor for more than 30 seconds due to overheating.

Can’t imagine so. There is a continuous grind setting - press single and double dose at once, then push the starter switch and it just keeps on grinding.

Why would you want to grind such a large amount at once?