fluffles

Ceado E37S Owners Thread

My wife had a good idea for recovering the metal bearing:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302377279844

I was unsure if I should click on that - figured it was probably a pair of ladies stockings to put the ball in! Big magnet - I didn't think of that. Not a bad idea for the task in hand.

If this was a hifi forum there'd be people saying their coffee tasted better due to molecular micro-alignment or some such arcane nonsense. I'm just off to put my grinder on a couple of layers of Mana, or a Boenicke Swing Base, and put an African black wood resonator on my steam wand. ...

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

For the metal ball I would screw a nice wood handle on to this and just keep it next to the grinder. £3 Ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40mm-Thumb-Screw-Clear-Suction-Cups-White-Nut-Plastic-Rubber-Window-Suckers-/192009095764?var=&hash=item2cb4a24a54:m:miLQl5NJtAxqM3ieJZYekPA

Capture.JPG

GS3 MP, Ceado E92 and E37s, Feldgrind. Niche.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

....snigger....

I didn't think of that oops!

I've heard it's good for the group head as well. ... I'll get me coat.

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

I was unsure if I should click on that - figured it was probably a pair of ladies stockings to put the ball in! Big magnet - I didn't think of that. Not a bad idea for the task in hand.

If this was a hifi forum there'd be people saying their coffee tasted better due to molecular micro-alignment or some such arcane nonsense. I'm just off to put my grinder on a couple of layers of Mana, or a Boenicke Swing Base, and put an African black wood resonator on my steam wand. ...

Oh boy, hoping I dont have to mod my E37s with Nordost or other mains cable, single spur ring, remove all other equipment from the area and judge everything by tune-demming the grinding all day long :whistle:

ACS Vesuvius, Niche Zero, Dalian Amazon & assorted greens, Osmio Zero

Oh I've already got a mains cable made of unobtanium on my Ceado, and the next mod is a spherical horn chute to give even dispersion round the room.

Still trying to work out how to attach a leather “retriever” strap to pull the bearing out.

....snigger....

I sincerely hope that your reference to a leather ball strap is intentional.

Oh boy, hoping I dont have to mod my E37s with Nordost or other mains cable, single spur ring, remove all other equipment from the area and judge everything by tune-demming the grinding all day long :whistle:

All that and more, don't forget the shakti stones and acoustic resonators as well.

Your coffee wont taste any better, but the grinder will sound exactly the way Ceado intended.

Londinium R | Ceado E37S | Torr Goldfinger

It's a bar section of stainless steel, an acrylic disc on the bottom that contacts the beans and is near-as-dammit the ID of the glass tube, with a wooden tamper handle attached to the top - simples.

Look great, does it simulate the vacuum effect of the AirScape?

Would you be able to give a list of materials with dimensions and links to where you bought them (if at all)?

It's not a perfect seal, the main reason I put it on there was that without it the weight had a tendency to knock about a bit as the grinder did its thing, I was concerned that perhaps the glass would chip, especially around the edge at the top.

That said, I did consider that it reducing the amount of free air around the beans as a possible, theoretical benefit. The hopper is sized such that it needs to be re-filled every morning, so they don't sit in there for all that long anyway.

All of the materials are ebay specials.

100mm lengh, 57mm OD, 2.5mm wall borosilicate glass tube

1.75" OD stainless steel bar

Whatever tamper handle suited

Acrylic disc to fit close to the ID of the tube

Liberal dose of JB weld

Londinium R | Ceado E37S | Torr Goldfinger

Still very early days for me too as always been using with small hopper, but now that I have switched to the tube and weight system I am seeing one of the main benefits I was hoping to achieve. (Thanks @fluffles)

Grind coarser and eliminate clumping massively!

150g beans in the hopper was not enough to provide consistent timed dosing and I did have a bit of clumping. Not rock hard by any means, but it did require cocktail stick mixing.

I now see that was probably a weight from above or lack of.. effect, and beans were being ground perhaps unevenly until they got forced out by the incoming grounds as they didn't have enough weight to be experienced out at a constant rate.

The weight has allowed me to grind on a coarser setting resulting in perfectly fluffy clump free mound and very even extractions. 18-36 30sec n=4 just from this morning.

But as I said, only had 2 bags of beans through it with the weight and they have both been light roast one Costa Rican and one Ethiopian so they need coarser setting anyway.

Also the fact that the beans stay in a sealed bag overnight means that there is less of a humidity effect.

And I have only tried the 1.2kg weight (that's some serious weight on the poor beans) have the 600g one which I'll try at some point.

Only negatives to now is that it looks ugly.. the hopper look is so much better. Temporary solution for eight removal has been ribbon and electrical tape.. classy I know.

I'll report my findings along the way as having to grind coarser just doesn't make sense in my head.. if anything it should have been the other way round. Maybe it was uneven grind previously with a combo of some popcorning and some over grinding that necessitated the finer grind setting..3f37c258fac7eade664ba9cd83f8c94e.jpg

LR - EK43S; Ceado E37S; Aergrind; Comandante MK3 - Syphon & V60 - patience

I was under the impression that a grinder cannot make that much difference but this grinder is streets ahead of my last one and the coffee is so much better in fact it feels like I have upgraded my coffee machine also.

well chuffed

I believe I have read the whole thread! Hopefully I’m joining the club in a week’s time.

What’s the consensus regarding the hopper for non single dosing (200-350g of beans at a time at most)? Glass tube and weight or mazzer mini hopper?

I believe the SCC is rubber one rather than the aluminium one. Is it worth an upgrade? Bella Barista doesn’t seem to stock them.

@PPapa I look forward to you joining the Ceado club. For what it's worth, I have the small hopper (the actual small Ceado one not the Mazzer one) but I am also considering the tube and weight idea. My observations of the SCC thing (mine's the metal one) is that it does help prevent static but also seems to cause the coffee to 'hang' in the chute which irritates the bejesus out of me. I have popped my SCC up out of the grind path (didn't remove it, just flipped it up out of the way) and only some coffees fly out, seemingly only at fine grind under certain weather conditions, so I can live with it. I probably wouldn't bother retrofitting the metal one. Maybe the 'ARSE mod' (search the forum not Google!) would help if you wanted to do something, but I'd be tempted to wait and see how you get on, then maybe try the tube hopper and weight, also it's worth polishing the inside of the chute in my experience, as that seems to make the grinds less likely to hang.

Thanks @hotmeal (after calling old!). I’m getting excited as well.

I reread the FS post and it has the ARSE mod, so I might stick with that for a while.

Is it mainly hopper becoming empty when it becomes a problem in the grind consistency?

Ha, old is relative. I think I was somewhere between the vets and the whippersnappers today at the Rave do, being in my 40s! Old is ok, but it's Hotmetal not hot meal - makes me sound like meals on wheels hahaha!

Anyway I digress (must be old LOL!)

When the hopper gets fairly empty, ie lack of weight on the beans, you can find that if you had it all nicely set up for 18g with 300g in, by the time there's only 100g sometimes the grinds don't exit with the same force and can fail to clear the SCC so the shot can come up a bit light due to grinds not landing in the basket. The very last shot or 2 in the hopper can be gushers with visible chaff, like single dosers tend to see - as by this stage you're almost single dosing and the consistency changes to become too coarse - hence my interest in the tube mod. While I've got plenty of the same bean I keep it fairly filled. Toward the end of a bag I bung in a sunglasses pouch with some other beans in just to add a bit of weight.

With weather changing, central heating being on, humidity changing and as coffee set up is often in the kitchen ( cooking / steam) These combinations play havoc with settings and discharge even using a tube in place of hopper. Plays havoc with the O C D as well:eek:

The mazzer mini has that hood thing, so a sock with a weight won’t work :(.

Still deciding between a tube and a hopper.

I believe I have read the whole thread! Hopefully I’m joining the club in a week’s time.

What’s the consensus regarding the hopper for non single dosing (200-350g of beans at a time at most)? Glass tube and weight or mazzer mini hopper?

I believe the SCC is rubber one rather than the aluminium one. Is it worth an upgrade? Bella Barista doesn’t seem to stock them.

@PPapa its got the ARSE mod and both rubber and metal SCC bits are coming with it too. I used a bag of rice on top of beans for a while, but whilst they did improve consistency of the timed doses, I couldn't tell the difference in grind quality so stopped doing it.

Great stuff Graham. I am certainly too excited to see E37s on the counter and I can’t read!

The mazzer mini has that hood thing, so a sock with a weight won’t work :(.

Still deciding between a tube and a hopper.

My Zenith 65E had a 'bean baffle' as well, and an auger to draw the beans down. I personally think this is good because it negates the variance due to weight of beans in the hopper. I wish the Ceado had that system too to be honest.

My Zenith 65E had a 'bean baffle' as well, and an auger to draw the beans down. I personally think this is good because it negates the variance due to weight of beans in the hopper. I wish the Ceado had that system too to be honest.

Apparently it’s removable.

I am trying to find a tube, but I don’t seem to be able to find 50mm ID/56mm OD (3mm wall) anywhere. Do any more common sizes fit?

Apparently it’s removable.

I am trying to find a tube, but I don’t seem to be able to find 50mm ID/56mm OD (3mm wall) anywhere. Do any more common sizes fit?

@PPapa - I bought this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLEAR-ACRYLIC-TUBE-100mm-200mm-300mm-lengths-30mm-to-70mm-Outside-Diameters-/200973097176

60 OD, 3mm Walls, 300 mm length.

I used a sander to taper the OD to fit at the bottom. If you look at a mazzer hopper it is tapered at the end where it fits the throat (I assume original Ceado hopper is the same?) and I just sanded to match. Fits really well