fluffles

Ceado E37S Owners Thread

Guys, I am new to the Ceado circle, and seem to be having more trouble than I anticipated with dialing in the grind output per unit of time. I have chewed my way through 750g coffee trying to get an even output, and failing. The total shot counter is around 600, so I would expect the burrs to be seasoned by now.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated!

The grinds are beautifully soft and fluffy – far improved over my Mazzer SJ, and the coffee in the cup tastes surprisingly different. While I am still using WDT to ensure an even pour on my bottomless PF, the Ceado has certainly improved flow through the puck.

I am grinding into a stainless steel milk jug, so spray not an issue. I have noticed that adjusting the SCC impacts grind output (if timer and grind setting are constant), so I have now left that alone. I would need to check the setting, but this is NOT set to fully closed.

Below are the results from the last two days [Grind time (s) / grind weight output (g) / grind setting on the adjustment collar (smaller number is finer grind)]. I am aiming for 14g output BTW!

Day 1:

5.4 / 11.2 / 2.6

6 / 15.13 / 3

5.8 / 15.54 / 2.8

Day 2:

5.6 / 14.37 / 2.5

5.6 / 12.94 / 2.5

5.6 / 13.90 / 2.5

I forgot to purge ahead of the first Day 2 grind, so that could account for some difference, but grind 2 and 3 on Day 2 should not be 1g differential with no change in grinder settings. There was c. 100g beans weight in the hopper.

Love the grinder, but I had not expected this stage to be so confusing! I will continue to record data over the next few days, but I wonder if anyone has found similar problems and has any encouraging words for me?!

So the Ceado forum definitely isn't as active as the Mazzer section!

A couple of days later and I can still be wildly out at times, but feeling a bit more relaxed now I have taken SCC adjustment out of the equation. Updated figures are below (time / weight output / grind setting / SCC position on the clock face).

Day 1

5.4 / 11.2 / 2.6

6 / 15.13 / 3

5.8 / 15.54 / 2.8

Day 2

5.6 / 14.37 / 2.5 / 7

5.6 / 12.94 / 2.5 / 7

5.6 / 13.90 / 2.5 / 7

Day 3

5.6 / 12.45 / 2.5 / 9

5.6 / 15.5 / 2.5 / 9

5.6 / 16.61 / 2.5 / 9

Day 4

5.6 / 14.95 / 2.3 / 9

5.6 / 14.21 / 2.2 / 9

(5.6 / 8.09 / 2.0 / 9 new beans - choked machine)

5.6 / 10.57 / 2.3 / 9

I grind into a metal jug, tare scares with PF, transfer 14g to the PF, WDT then tamp. I was hoping the Ceado would avoid the weighing steps in my workflow, but starting to understand that isn't likely, with me pulling just 3 double shots per day.

I grind into a metal jug, tare scares with PF, transfer 14g to the PF, WDT then tamp. I was hoping the Ceado would avoid the weighing steps in my workflow, but starting to understand that isn't likely, with me pulling just 3 double shots per day.

It is interesting to see the variation you are getting. I'm sure I've watched a couple of WholeLatteLove videos where the variation from the e37s was recorded as being very small - something like +/- 0.2g if memory serves. That is so far removed from what you are seeing. If you do lots of grinds one after another (without necessarily drinking them and so 'wasting coffee') does the variation reduce?

I'm sure I've watched a couple of WholeLatteLove videos where the variation from the e37s was recorded as being very small - something like +/- 0.2g if memory serves.

Yes - my feeling exactly. I was expecting something much closer to their figures, hence slight frustration.

I haven't yet felt flush enough to run 500g of decent beans through it to check. When it was new I was playing with some "miss-roast" beans, but the mix of roasts and bean hardness led to wild discrepancies.

I'm hoping that the more familiar I get with how to dial in, I might get good precision between the second and third shot each morning

I expect each first shot will always be wrong (purging, beans being 24-hours older than day prior), then a slight grind adjustment before the second and third doses being similar output weight, but neither delivering the 14g target dose - i.e. Precise but inaccurate dosing (adjusting the grind size will change output weight for same time dose).

In conclusion, I cannot see how this can deliver dose to dose accuracy in a 2-3 shot per day domestic setting.

Frankly I will settle for precise but inaccurate doses, but I can't yet manage that.

IMG_3166.jpg

With the followings mods I'm getting +/- 0.1 gram accuracy (see pics):

- the spring assembly for the back-pressure on the shutter completely removed

- 65 mm heat shrink tube installed over the exit chute to manage the flow of the ground coffee

- 60 mm outer / 54 mm inner diameter acrylate tube x 200 mm long installed in lieu of the hopper. Lower end tapered using a sander.

- 50 mm diameter grade 316 stainless steel ball pushes the beans into the burrs

All items available on eBay.

IMG_3162.jpg

IMG_3163.jpg

IMG_3164.jpg

IMG_3165.jpg

Edited by CaffeeX

La Pavoni Europiccola, Ceado e37s

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29271[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]29272[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]29273[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]29274[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]29275[/ATTACH]

With the followings mods I'm getting +/- 0.1 gram accuracy (see pics):

- the spring assembly for the back-pressure on the shutter completely removed

- 65 mm heat shrink tube installed over the exit chute to manage the flow of the ground coffee

- 60 mm outer / 54 mm inner diameter acrylate tube x 200 mm long installed in lieu of the hopper. Lower end tapered using a sander.

- 50 mm diameter grade 316 stainless steel ball pushes the beans into the burrs

All items available on eBay.

How do you get the weight ball back out when the tube is mostly empty? Presumably you have to wait until tube entirely empty?

Like the heat shrink tubing idea - does it cause retention where the tube meets the grinder?

True I cannot remove the acrylic tube and the stainless ball until all 200-ish grams of beans have been spent.

The shrink tube works a treat - not seen any jamming or retention beyond the usual caused by the back pressure shutter - but extra oily beans might clog the chute so I'm not saying this is 100% perfect.

Edited by CaffeeX

La Pavoni Europiccola, Ceado e37s

I like the idea of this.... Have you removed the anti-static part?

Vesuvius Dual Boiler / Ceado E37S / KvdW Shower Screen / VST Precision baskets / Torr Tamper / Motta Champion Milk Pitchers / Stretton Hills (Waitrose) Water /

True I cannot remove the acrylic tube and the stainless ball until all 200-ish grams of beans have been spent.

The shrink tube works a treat - not seen any jamming or retention beyond the usual caused by the back pressure shutter - but extra oily beans might clog the chute so I'm not saying this is 100% perfect.

Could you super glue a short cord to the ball or use a fine mesh bag eg as garlic / bird fat balls come in??

A small suction cup on a stick would work.

GS3, Ceado E92, Feldgrind. Niche.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've been dreaming of upgrading to one of these grinders, but this thread has put me right off - the E8 is cheaper too

Londinium 1, Pharos, Ceado e37s, Gene Cafe, Aerobie

I've been dreaming of upgrading to one of these grinders, but this thread has put me right off - the E8 is cheaper too
The grinder is amazing! You just need to use it as it was intended, ie with a loaded hopper. It's not designed for single dosing. With a loaded hopper I get about 0.2g discrepancy in weights and no spritzing or flying grounds anywhere! No additional mods implemented on mine and works a dream.

LR - Ceado E37S; Baratza Preciso; Aergrind; Comandante MK3 - Syphon & V60 - patience

The grinder is amazing! You just need to use it as it was intended, ie with a loaded hopper. It's not designed for single dosing. With a loaded hopper I get about 0.2g discrepancy in weights and no spritzing or flying grounds anywhere! No additional mods implemented on mine and works a dream.

This is my experience too. Once the anti static flap is set correctly it is super consistent and just so easy and faff free. I did gave some issues a while ago while using oily mahogany roast beans but I think that was me not being confident enough adjusting the flap to suit.

The biggie with this grinder is that it is much quieter than anything else I have come across, which is very important for me domestically!

It's also one of the most kitchen-friendly (small) 83mm grinders there is.

I moved my SCC flap up out of the way (no need to dismantle - push it up far enough and it stays there). I still don't get spraying so I've not bothered with heat shrink or acetate etc. Lovely fluffy grinds. That said sometimes the grinds can fail to come out, giving you a short measure and then a longer one on the next, by more than 0.2g. My 65E is better at dosing accurately but the Ceado is faster, and gives better grind consistency bringing more to the cup. It's just slightly annoying to have to 'help' the last little bit down the chute with a wooden stirring stick occasionally.

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

Do you think that something like a bag of marbles or baking beans sitting on top of the coffee beans would help with this? So you could short fill coffee beans and let the marbles do the pushing. I guess it would need to fail safe so that you didn't start grinding marbles so the hopper might need a bit of a mod.

Do you think that something like a bag of marbles or baking beans sitting on top of the coffee beans would help with this? So you could short fill coffee beans and let the marbles do the pushing. I guess it would need to fail safe so that you didn't start grinding marbles so the hopper might need a bit of a mod.
Funnily enough that is the one thing I was considering implementing as I'd rather keep beans in the bag. I use the short hopper and half fill it so that's probably just shy of 200g total weight in there. Once I remove the hopper safe guard I was thinking of what may be my best option. I was leaning towards bag of butter beans or chick peas enclosed in a stretchy sort of bag. Worst case scenario you end up with hummus. Marbles sounds scary. Edited by christos_geo

LR - Ceado E37S; Baratza Preciso; Aergrind; Comandante MK3 - Syphon & V60 - patience

Just drink more so the beans are always fresh. My view of the world is that once the bag is open and air has got to the beans they might as well be in the hopper for what little difference it makes. It would be interesting to try some blind taste tests with single dosers to see who can tell the difference! :)

I can understand that Nick! In practise though a thread like this can do more harm than good and I moved to mine from a Mini E. I don't particularly post about because there's not much to say, the daily routine is very easy.

If your curiosity gets the better of you then you are welcome to come over, Dave's review was my benchmark on deciding of course.

ACS Vesuvius, Niche Zero, Dalian Amazon & assorted greens, Osmio Zero

Thankyou for the kind offer Paul. I may take you up when I actually have the money. I've just been reading the Compak owners thread, there seem to be just as many problems, if not more with the E8.

Londinium 1, Pharos, Ceado e37s, Gene Cafe, Aerobie

Another positive for me is that it gits under kitchen cupboards if you fit the 500g Mazzer Mini hopper.

I knocked together something that looks a bit like a tamper (albeit an xtra thicc one) to keep the grind consistent.

dMhq00c.jpg?1

It's a bar section of stainless steel, an acrylic disc on the bottom that contacts the beans and is near-as-dammit the ID of the glass tube, with a wooden tamper handle attached to the top - simples.

Wooden handle atop ins't entirely visible, but this is a photo I already had hosted and you get the idea. Tube and handle length is such that the weight can be lifted out to refill once it gets down to the bottom. It weighs around 600g.

I found grind times and consistency to be all over the place with less than ~300g of beans in the hopper, whereas I get near-zero variance with this setup.

Londinium R | Ceado E37S | Torr Goldfinger

@CaffeeX here is my replication of yours - hoping it sorts my dosing inaccuracies

bbab396279d688960a0c3131f80a99e2.jpg

Still trying to work out how to attach a leather “retriever” strap to pull the bearing out.