IGNORED

Ceado E37S Owners Thread

I've just got a Ceado E37S (new version, the one with quick set gears). I can't actually use it yet as Coffee Italia sent it with a European plug and no UK adapter 🙄 (have ordered one) but I've had a good look at it and removed the top to take a look inside. I had a few questions, I have read the whole thread so apologies if these have been addressed before but I know there's been a few previous versions of this grinder.

1. Adjusting grind size

From reading various posts, lots of people suggest setting the grind to finest and then moving to coarser as needed as this is easier and doesn't require cleaning the burrs in between adjustments (I'm also planning to try slow bean feeding which requires finer grind than normal). Advice seems to be to adjust the grind finer until you hear the burrs touch and then pull back a few clicks. I have tried to follow @El carajillo's instructions in this post https://coffeeforums.co.uk/topic/26138-ceado-e37s-owners-thread/?do=findComment&comment=756590 earlier in this thread but I wonder if they are for a different/older model as they didn't make sense for this unit. Powered off, I used the quick set gears to move the grind setting towards 0 (grinder came set at 1) and used a cake tester to move the bottom burr thinking that at some point I wouldn't be able to move it and at that point I'd know the burrs are touching and it's time to go coarser a few clicks. But hey ho, I got to zero (even tried lower than zero) and I could still move the bottom burr. I've recorded a short video to illustrate https://photos.app.goo.gl/wKRGL6nywK4MgZtv8. Am I missing something here? This doesn't make sense to me....

2. SCC (static and clumping control system)

A lot of the conversation in this thread has been about static/clumping/spraying. It seems that with the new version SCC is no longer adjustable (the manual says nothing about it). Is that correct? Even Whole Latte Love's video makes it clear SCC adjustment is for "older models". I had a look at the flap from the chute looking up and from the inside (with bottom burr removed). The flap on my unit seems wider and longer than other photos I've seen on the forum (see photos)? I'm not sure if the newer model features changes to the flap compared to previous versions? My unit also seems to have only a very narrow gap behind the flap so I am wondering whether ground coffee will be able to come out successfully or whether loads of it will be stuck behind the flap. Can anyone confirm whether on this newer model the flap can/should be adjusted and how?

Thanks

ceado1.jpg

ceado3.jpg

ceado2.jpg

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The E 37S dos not work well as a single dose grinder. Although you may get the correct dose of coffee, a considerable portion of that coffee will be from the previous grind session= stale coffee. For

This. I purge around 10g every morning due to this, and there needs to be at least 300g of beans in the hopper (or equivalent weight) for consistency.   The E37s is simply not an appropriate

So if you have an S, I promise you, you will be experiencing pop corning. Unless you have a weight to push the beans into the burrs then it is inevitable. Which is why several manufacturers have desig

Posted Images

Hi. I have a Ceado E37s similar to yours. The scc thing on newer models cannot be changed. In my experience there is no need to change the SCC angle now as the spray/static issues have been engineered out with the revised design change.

With regards your grind setting, the initial factory setting is will need to be altered. You will need to run the grinder and keep twisting the adjustment finer until you hear the chirping sound of the burrs touching. Once you here that, back of a touch courser. That should be your zero point.

What I then did was get some cheep supermarket beans and run them through the grinder to season the burrs. I also tried to dial in an espresso shot with these cheap beans so as I knew roughly where I needed to set the grinder for a 30s shot. Once I knew this I moved the metal plate with the numbers on so as the setting read 2. I figured if I set a standard espresso at 2 then I would have enough room either way (course or fine) to dial in lighter or darker roasts and still be in the number scale.

It's a great grinder btw

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, axpetts said:

Hi. I have a Ceado E37s similar to yours. The scc thing on newer models cannot be changed. In my experience there is no need to change the SCC angle now as the spray/static issues have been engineered out with the revised design change.

With regards your grind setting, the initial factory setting is will need to be altered. You will need to run the grinder and keep twisting the adjustment finer until you hear the chirping sound of the burrs touching. Once you here that, back of a touch courser. That should be your zero point.

What I then did was get some cheep supermarket beans and run them through the grinder to season the burrs. I also tried to dial in an espresso shot with these cheap beans so as I knew roughly where I needed to set the grinder for a 30s shot. Once I knew this I moved the metal plate with the numbers on so as the setting read 2. I figured if I set a standard espresso at 2 then I would have enough room either way (course or fine) to dial in lighter or darker roasts and still be in the number scale.

It's a great grinder btw emoji846.png

Do you produce a dose of 4-5g/sec as advertised? I am using the 2016 model with adjustable SCC. For 19-20g of dose, I need to set the double shot dose at 7 seconds. I've been trying to adjust the SCC but when i try to adjust maybe less than 5degree, it sprays out and made a mess all over. 

Don’t know if the beans are one of the issues. I have gotten 18g in 5 seconds previously with different beans. Hence, don’t know what happened on that. So I’m here to ask for advice 
I find that I need to grind longer (on a finer setting) for lighter roast beans. The longest it has taken me to grind 18g with light roast is about 5.3 seconds

With regards your grind setting, the initial factory setting is will need to be altered. You will need to run the grinder and keep twisting the adjustment finer until you hear the chirping sound of the burrs touching. Once you here that, back of a touch courser. That should be your zero point. 

Several silly questions. From what you’re describing this is an adjustment you’re making with the motor running? I know this is what the manual says but surely doing this with the motor running means you could cause damage to the burrs  if they touch while running? I’m a bit apprehensive doing this if I’m honest. It also means you need the completely purge the grinder before every adjustment. I’d much rather go to finest before the very first grind and just go coarser from there but I don’t know how to do this.

Secondly, what is the explanation for the phenomenon I have recorded in the video? The dial is set to zero but I can still move the bottom burr (so the burrs cannot be touching). Albeit I did the adjustment with motor off but zero is the finest grind, surely the burrs should be touching by then and I shouldn’t be able to turn the bottom burr, at least I should notice a sound.

What was the factory setting on the grind on yours? Mine was 1 (very fine I guess). Your post suggests that you adjusted finer and then settled on 2 eventually which suggests that perhaps the factory setting on yours was higher than 2?

Glad to hear static/clumping issues have been ironed out.

If you are not running the motor until both of your burr touches you wouldn’t know the so called “zero point”. I mean if you have tons of beans to waste, you can use the “trial and error” method until you get your perfect settings to dial a perfect shot of espresso.

And also zero on the indication does not mean it is the finest cause you can easily unscrew the “handle that adjust the grind settings”. By doing so, the best way to indicate finest is by the “burr touching” method.
This is purely based on my experience, correct me if I’m wrong cause I’m quite new to ceado grinder either. 

You will need to make the initial adjustment with the motor running to hear the change in sound. Don't worry about the burrs touching - you will not damage them. That is the reccomended way and is the way most people do it.

With regards going past zero, again don't worry. The number is just there for relative guidance. You can move the metal disc with the numbers on without actually altering the grind setting by sliding it with two fingers. Like I said, find the point the burrs touch and then slide the number scale to suit.

I can't remember exactly where my grinder was set to by the factory, but I remember taking some dialling in.

Factory grind setting is random and irrelevant. Personally I would prefer to find the zero point by soinning the top burr by hand and adjusting until I just detect interference then back off. Ultimately the zero point is also fairly irrelevant once you know roughly where you need to be for espresso. That's what I did and when I found where that was, I undid the 2 screws and reset the adjuster to the mid point, so as a result my adjuster is usually between 3-5 for most beans and I've never chirped my burrs. Mine is a v2 with metal adjustable SCC but I have just flipped it up out of the grind path. It's fine usually, I don't seem to get spraying grounds very often.

___
Eat, drink and be merry

This is exactly the same method I described (for model with lever adjustment). The result I have is exactly the same , set between  3 and5 depending on bean type, age and humidity.

The worm gear on the newer model will give a superfine tweak to adjustment BUT the bean type and atmospherics will change and so will the setting to accommodate.

As I have not seen the newer machine in the flesh.  With the Mch unplugged and rotating the burr with a probe, can the adjuster be moved back beyond 0 until the burrs touch ? How far beyond  0 before the burrs touch in deg's. OR does it touch immediately ?

If the adjustment goes back beyond  zero it make the numbers irrelevant other than as a guide as on the earlier model (And the MAZZER'S)

Thank you. I wish this were explained in the manual.

Two additional questions 

1) is it ok to do this process with motor on but no coffee in the grinder? Can the grinder get damaged?

2) you both mentioned spinning or rotating the top burr manually. Do you mean to use the quick set gears that are on the new version while running the motor ? The manual doesn’t say there’s any there’s any other way to adjust the grind but perhaps I’ve missed it as the writing is so small.

thanks 

I didn't realise you could get that adjuster as an upgrade. Hmm. Now, how much, and do I want one? Having had a Eureka before the Ceado I do miss a screw adjuster, somehow the stiction of the early E37S isn't quite as nice and precise, although it certainly works well enough. Maybe a Christmas present to myself if things improve...

___
Eat, drink and be merry

• 2 weeks later...

Silly question, what does the flap do? I have read in this thread and others that not having the flap or having it too wide open means grinds shoot everywhere. But if you dose into a cup which contains the spray, is the flap still relevant? What would happen if it didn't exist in this scenario? (trying to understand more about this grinder -- in the latest version of this Ceado the flap is not adjustable (well, I guess that you could technically increase the gap with a screwdriver to open it up more but the manual has no instructions on changing the flap at all so I assume you're not meant to touch it).

Thanks

On 05/08/2020 at 14:51, tripleshot said:

Silly question, what does the flap do? I have read in this thread and others that not having the flap or having it too wide open means grinds shoot everywhere. But if you dose into a cup which contains the spray, is the flap still relevant? What would happen if it didn't exist in this scenario? (trying to understand more about this grinder -- in the latest version of this Ceado the flap is not adjustable (well, I guess that you could technically increase the gap with a screwdriver to open it up more but the manual has no instructions on changing the flap at all so I assume you're not meant to touch it).

Thanks

Anyone has any thoughts on this? I noticed that there’s stale grounds stuck behind the flap. If the flap were a little bit more open I could dislodge them with my air blower. But In this version of the Ceado the flap is not adjustable. I guess I could use a small screwdriver to pull it up slightly but:

a) what impact can I expect on my grind (apart from flying grinds which is fine as I dose into a cup so all contained). Note that I am single dosing with a weight on top and I WDT before tamping 

b) will this have an impact on my warranty 

Thanks

On 28/07/2020 at 01:17, hotmetal said:

I didn't realise you could get that adjuster as an upgrade. Hmm. Now, how much, and do I want one? Having had a Eureka before the Ceado I do miss a screw adjuster, somehow the stiction of the early E37S isn't quite as nice and precise, although it certainly works well enough. Maybe a Christmas present to myself if things improve...

___
Eat, drink and be merry

About 300$ 

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, tripleshot said:

Anyone has any thoughts on this? I noticed that there’s stale grounds stuck behind the flap. If the flap were a little bit more open I could dislodge them with my air blower. But In this version of the Ceado the flap is not adjustable. I guess I could use a small screwdriver to pull it up slightly but:

a) what impact can I expect on my grind (apart from flying grinds which is fine as I dose into a cup so all contained). Note that I am single dosing with a weight on top and I WDT before tamping 

b) will this have an impact on my warranty 

Thanks

I have not seen the inner workings of the new machine. When you mention flap / non adjustable.

The flap on mine is metal ( alloy) it just hangs freely and is opened by the thrust of the coffee

The adjustable component is a tensioned spring which helps remove static when set correctly to "stroke the coffee"

In my case, If I grind to the espresso settings with ratio of 1:2 (18-20g in, 35-40g out) in approx 30 seconds. I tend to take longer than 5 seconds (approx 7s) for me to get a 18-20g dose. I am not using the single dosing method with weights above but leaving a 500g beans in the big hopper. But when i tune my settings into slight coarser, the ground tend to be fluffier and looks satisfying with 18-20g ground in 5-6sec. Should i stick to the longer time with great espresso extraction or slight coarser to get fluffier ground? 

Hard to say really. If you like the results then it must be right for you and the coffee you drink. Most of what I buy is lighter end of medium. I've never had a bean that took 7 seconds to get 18g, but ultimately it's about what gives you the result in the cup rather than a lovely looking dose. I'm not quite sure what's going on, as I am fairly sure that if I tightened the grind enough to make it take 7 sec to fill the porta filter it would choke my machine. But in your case the numbers seem right. Maybe they changed burr design?

___
Eat, drink and be merry

In my case, If I grind to the espresso settings with ratio of 1:2 (18-20g in, 35-40g out) in approx 30 seconds. I tend to take longer than 5 seconds (approx 7s) for me to get a 18-20g dose. I am not using the single dosing method with weights above but leaving a 500g beans in the big hopper. But when i tune my settings into slight coarser, the ground tend to be fluffier and looks satisfying with 18-20g ground in 5-6sec. Should i stick to the longer time with great espresso extraction or slight coarser to get fluffier ground? 
Is your grinder the 110V or 240V version? The 110V tends to grind a little slower I believe due to the motor RPM being lower.

On 10/08/2020 at 03:33, axpetts said:

Is your grinder the 110V or 240V version? The 110V tends to grind a little slower I believe due to the motor RPM being lower.

Hi @axpetts, I’m using the 220-240V and just couldn’t get that results. I’m already at a point where I use my EM specialita for espresso. Just when it’s too coarse for espresso (15sec extract 30g of coffee with 18g dose), the grind is fluffy and soft. But when I dial to espresso settings, extraction 1:2 ratio in 30s, the ground stuck on the chute and does not come out 20g dose in 10s....disappointed

Does anyone know if you can fit the worm gear grind size adjustment setup from the SD to the S model?

Reason I’m asking is that the SD version has the ability to flip the work drive out of the way and make large scale adjustments quickly for different brew methods. 

On 27/07/2020 at 00:51, axpetts said:

Mine is the 2018 model with the non adjustable SCC. I have the double set to 4.2 seconds and that gives me 18 grams

With that being said, would like to know with 18g dose, what was your targeted yield? How much of espresso you've got in how many seconds?  Your input is much appreciated. @axpetts

I took the burrs off today to give them a good clean. I put them back and I think the sound of grinding is not quite as smooth as before and I may be imagining it but I think I can see a slight wobble in the bottom grinder see video

I hear stories of other people having mis-aligned burrs, could that be the case here or am i just listening too much into it? I double checked the screws are all secure and there doesn't seem to be much that can go in the wrong alignment with this design. A related question is how the heck are you meant to clean the burrs properly without taking them off if by taking them off you end up with other issues?

Any advice?