fluffles

Ceado E37S Owners Thread

Has anyone read Jeebsy’s blog he posted yesterday? http:// https://allstartedhere.wordpress.com/2018/09/10/grinders/The Anfim clump crusher looks superb - how hard would it be to retrofit something similar to a Ceado, do we think?

The SCC is doing a great job of controlling the ridiculous spray from my current beans but only projects into the middle ⅔ of the chute. That is allowing these pesky beans to squeeze through the gap on the RHS and are hitting the counter up to a foot in front of the grinder!

I have to hold the PF against the chute to catch everything, and the mound produced looks like this:

a6ab2da63c2095f7f4a966ed4d3b25e5.jpg

You can clearly see the elevated mount where the high velocity static is hitting the back of the PF.

So, big change from my above post!

I do like the look of the metal clump crusher - would help to retard the spray also.

http://coffeenavigated.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/MythosBurralignment-howto_MatNorth.pdf

@Beanosaurus - my above frustrations have got me thinking about replicating your ARSE mod.

I haven' seen a recent post - are you still running an e37s with ARSE?

I also found your link to burr alignment (above), which I would like to try Where did you buy the sticky copper tape?? Cheers

http://coffeenavigated.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/MythosBurralignment-howto_MatNorth.pdf

@Beanosaurus - my above frustrations have got me thinking about replicating your ARSE mod.

I haven' seen a recent post - are you still running an e37s with ARSE?

I also found your link to burr alignment (above), which I would like to try Where did you buy the sticky copper tape?? Cheers

@rob177palmer

Yes, my A.R.S.E. is indeed, still in action!

I feel there would be no way you'd be able to mod/retrofit the Anfim spring crusher thing unless you perhaps brought it lower down the chute but you want the crusher device to be as close to the grind chamber exit as possible because you then have enough inertia to blast the coffee grounds through it, any further down and stuff would probably clog.

You'd also likely have dimensional issues of the chute to deal with, might have been a goer if Anfim and Ceado shared the same chute component but its obvious they don't.

I have conceived an idea of using a similar 'device' as per Anfim's but it is more like a grate with uniformed spacing and horizontally stacked as that is afterall the axis of which the coffee shoots out at.

We will see... ***Insert sinister laugh***

Have a go at making your own A.R.S.E. its slightly fiddly but the results/reward ratio is high.

Copper tape was obtained from evilBay. :cool: I believe the rationale for such a material is that it won't degrade (burn) under the heat generated by the burrs nor lose it's adhesion unlike duct tape which tends to have an almost viscous stickyness to it especially when heat is involved. Also duct tape would certainly squash way more than copper and as you're effectively creating a shim you'd want it to maintain height.

Edited by Beanosaurus

Beans, beans the musical fruit, the more you drink, the more you... *tremors uncontrollably* ? 

Sweet - thanks for all that. I’m keen to play with alignment tonight (don’t know why hasn’t occurred before) so will have to resort to tin foil this time whilst the tape arrives.

It’ll obviously require a beer, which will precipitate an empty can...and I have no idea what I could use that for

Sweet - thanks for all that. I’m keen to play with alignment tonight (don’t know why hasn’t occurred before) so will have to resort to tin foil this time whilst the tape arrives.

It’ll obviously require a beer, which will precipitate an empty can...and I have no idea what I could use that for

Post results in my other thread if you please, cheers!:beer:

Beans, beans the musical fruit, the more you drink, the more you... *tremors uncontrollably* ? 

I had to bulk grind some crappy beans for a drip machine at the weekend, have to say I was a bit disappointed with how poorly the Ceado grinds at a coarser setting:

8bcb1badd68ec9166f84d50014a9afec.jpg

I know this is an espresso grinder. I just hadn’t appreciated how different this is from, say an EK, at the coarser end of the range.

All a learning curve!

You would have got better results using a blade grinder.

Londinium 1, Pharos, Ceado e37s, Gene Cafe, Aerobie

Yeah you should've seen the state of that screw by the time I'd finished hammering it in LOL!

___

Eat, drink and be merry

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

Hi guys, I’m visiting London and Venice in April and was thinking of getting the e37s (non worm design) while I’m there. Appreciate if you guys could recommend the best (price/ sales service) place for me to get it in London/ Venice.

On 02/05/2018 at 06:46, rob177palmer said:

Here’s the tube: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200973097176

60mm OD, 4 mm Walls (52mm ID) 200mm long - seems to hold enough for about 150g

I have a ball bearing weight:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190674488769

The 50mm option

@rob177palmer My machine has been out of action for months so now I'm back making coffee I am going to order the bits and bobs previously discussed. The ball bearing seller is no longer appearing. I've found others but wanted to check whether you went for stainless steel or a chrome version?

Thanks 

Vesuvius Dual Boiler / Ceado E37S / KvdW Shower Screen / VST Precision baskets / Torr Tamper / Motta Champion Milk Pitchers / Stretton Hills (Waitrose) Water /

Hi,

This thread hasn't been very active lately so I hope some of you will be checking. I got a new Ceado E37S in October. It came with the smaller hopper. Hoppers overall don't make much sense to me for home users. Single grinding seems the way to go. Exposure to air is the enemy to fresh coffee so why does everyone fill a non air tight container with beans that will sit for days? Depending on your use but we do through 78 grams or so of coffee a day. The difference in price between the Ceado E37S and E37SD is $850 Canadian and I was already pushing my budget spending $2300 C on the E 37S. I use it as a single dose machine. I weight 18 grams of coffee dump them in the grinder and then weight the result. Most grinds I get within .2 grams of what went in which I consider close enough. What has thrown me is how variable I need to set the grind in order to get the 36 gram shot in 30 seconds. My machine has a scale of 1 to 4 with each 1 having 20 divisions. When the machine was new (October) I generally was grinding at about 1.4 to 1.7. Lately I'm down to as low as .4 and .5! This has remained consistent for the last couple of weeks. Is this normal? Also looking at the E37S and the E37SD they look very similar - they look physically the same other than the collar on the SD vs the hopper on the S. They have the same size burrs with the SD having titanium coated and the S having Stainless Steel. The button and set up are different since timed run makes no sense on the single dose machine. I'm wondering if the S can be modified to have a collar similar to the SD, or maybe even the SD collar will fit the S - Ceado won't even answer my emails and the retailer is worried about warranty issues with modifications. Single dosing not only allows you keep coffee stored air tight till you wish to use it, it also allows you to easily switch up coffee (between regular and decaf, or different beans that you might have a morning preference and like something else after dinner) without wasting coffee.

The E 37S dos not work well as a single dose grinder. Although you may get the correct dose of coffee, a considerable portion of that coffee will be from the previous grind session= stale coffee. For consistent dose the beans need pressure from the mass of the beans  above .

Alternatively you can exchange the S/hopper for a tube (to fit in the throat) and use a weight to provide the downward pressure.

Single dosing without mass allows the beans to ( popcorn) jump about which gives an inconsistent grind= poor / variable extraction.

• Like 1

Agree with the above post. I don't even try to single dose the E37s and the quality/taste would suffer. But with a small hopper full of beans, it's a wonderful little grinder. 

GS3 MP, Ceado E92 and E37s, Feldgrind. Niche.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks forThe E37S came out as having the least retention of any electric grinder ( hand grinder did better) in the Whole Latte Love test (see you tube). With a freshly cleaned grinder I get .1 to .2 grams of retention. I get no popcorning. - With a freshly cleaned grinder I put in 18 grams of beans and get 18 grams of ground coffee in the portafilter (or occasionally I might get 17.8 or 17.9 grams of ground coffee - and usually the next dose will deliver 18.1 or 18.2 grams of coffee so there's very little retention going on. On their web site Ceado says This system, unique in the world, ensures in any working stress condition a constant distance between the burrs, allowing to keep the chosen grinding consistency. -  This is referring to their steady lock system and I would take "any working stress condition" to include a full hopper or an empty one.  This does give me something to experiment with though and I will try out grinding - empty hopper, full hopper and weighted beans to see if the results vary.

@Davec did an article some time ago, which detailed the myth around retention, especially the claim I put 18 in and get 17.9 out. I cannot remember the detail now but it was along the lines of coffee actually trapped within the mechanism that compacts, is retained but does not mix back in. Coffee lost in the mechanism. Coffee that readily mixes back in with the grind. I obviously believe you, but ti would surprise me if you took an E37S out of the box, nd first shotgun 18 in 18....and yes, I have had one

You're right this was not out of the box, but the review Mark at whole latte love, he cleaned the machine (opened the machine) the best was the role hand grinder at .32 second E37S at .44 and then .59, .6, .65, .75 and 3.2 for the others in the test , you can see it on you tube. My worst result so far is .3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Espressobobwaterloo said:

You're right this was not out of the box, but the review Mark at whole latte love, he cleaned the machine (opened the machine) the best was the role hand grinder at .32 second E37S at .44 and then .59, .6, .65, .75 and 3.2 for the others in the test , you can see it on you tube. My worst result so far is .3

I do not disagree with you, but I suspect part of the grind you are getting out is a mix of old grids being replaced with fresh every time you grind. I have seen the review you mention and it is very simplistic, nor does it deal with the actual topic of retained coffee. I know you will disagree so I will see if I can find the article for you to read

https://coffeeforums.co.uk/topic/40551-important-grinder-terms/

Edited by dfk41

You have also to remember a couple of things. This test was done against 3 Baratzas that are not popular over, a hand grinder of the same, an obsolete piece of junk and the E37s. This is a good grinder but I do not understand why for a similar price you did not buy a purpose built single doser as opposed to the E37s. Do you suffer from pop corning?

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, dfk41 said:

but I suspect part of the grind you are getting out is a mix of old grids being replaced with fresh every time you grind.

This. I purge around 10g every morning due to this, and there needs to be at least 300g of beans in the hopper (or equivalent weight) for consistency.

The E37s is simply not an appropriate grinder to single dose - I've tried single dosing before out of curiosity due to the same Whole Latte Love video. 18g in and 18g out, but's it's not the same 18g.

If you want a solution that doesn't leave loads of beans in the hopper try something like this...

Q3tVzvr.png

Edited by Mister_Tad
pictar
  • Like 1

Londinium R | Ceado E37S | Torr Goldfinger

Even if the hopper is full isn't there going to be some old grinds retained in the grinder mechanism? So the 18 grams out will be a bit (that .4 g or so that Mark measured) plus mostly newly ground from the hopper (the other 17.6 g). Love your set up, that's a great poster. I'm not familiar with that machine though. I'm in Canada and haven't seen that brand. I went with the ECM syncronika with flow control. I'm now thinking I should have maybe gone with the lilet bianca - those were my choices at the local retailers, without going way up in money to a La Marzocco, Slayer, Rocket R9. Anyway I've had this set up since October and still struggling to master consistent coffee - mostly good, occasionally wonderful and occasionally pitching down the drain.

I think Dave suggested putting something like flour or bicarb or something, mixed in with the beans if you single dose. The point being it is identifiable. Then see how many shots afterwards that grains are visible in the puck, which demonstrates the mixing of old and new

That would be interesting, but in the end can you do anything about it? Won't there be some old grinds held in the machine and dispensed mixed in with the new grinds in every shot? Isn't that part of the better design in a more expensive machine - closer tolerances and better design reduce the retained grinds in the machine after grinding you shot?

Thanks for the previous link. It clarifies what we mean but I still end up thinking, to what end? If a machine is well designed and has very low retention I will get a small percentage of old grounds in every dose. Some of those old grounds I imagine stay stuck in those small nooks and crannies of the machine and don't get pushed out (until you disassemble the machine for cleaning.

Also in reply to your questions - no I don't get any popcorning. I occasionally get a bean that is slow to move into the grinder - it sits and spins in the grinder. The E37SD comes with a tube on the machine that is made of rubber and ribbed so you place your hand over it and press down which creates a puff of air to help ensure as much coffee as possible is expelled and less retained.