fluffles

Ceado E37S Owners Thread

I know quite a few of us on here have this grinder so thought it might be worth setting up a dedicated thread.

I will start the ball rolling... anyone having issues with the SCC at all? I have the newer metal flap, but I find it hard to find the sweet spot between preventing the coffee flying out horizontally and reduced clumping - I just seem to go from one extreme to the other.

I know quite a few of us on here have this grinder so thought it might be worth setting up a dedicated thread.

I will start the ball rolling... anyone having issues with the SCC at all? I have the newer metal flap, but I find it hard to find the sweet spot between preventing the coffee flying out horizontally and reduced clumping - I just seem to go from one extreme to the other.

i mirror that issue. constant flying coffee for me:(

In what might be an entirely unhelpful post, I managed to find the sweet spot (or the sweet spot found me) pretty much instantly - no flying, minimal clumping - I don't even need to use the funnel I fashioned - luck?

Londinium R | Ceado E37S | Torr Goldfinger

I get the occasional spewing of coffee. Find a little play with the flap thing sorts it out. Doesn't happen often enough to be really annoying for me.

Rocket R58, Behmor Brazen, Compak R120. Understanding wife.

As per Mister_Tad for me I'm afraid. I got a lot of the coffee flying out when churning through a few kgs to season the burrs but since then have only had it happen once which was quickly resolved by poking around a bit.

"Poking around a bit" - do you mean sticking something up the chute (oo'er mrs), or adjusting the flap via the screw?

I was never a fan of the design and I think your problem fluffes may be to do with the amount of tension there is on the SCC adjustment rod (or lack of).

If there's quite a bit of play on it then inevitably as you grind, the pressure of the grinds on the grind chamber flap and adjustment flap will push it an eventual threshold where the maintained gap is just enough to let the grinds flow through uninterrupted.

As far as I can tell there is no way to adjust the play on the adjustment rod as it just sits there in place with a couple of washers...

Could always have a go at making a clump crusher if it becomes unresolvable. ;)

I've been noticing lately that I get better looking (and tasting) extractions if I give the grinds a quick stir in the PF before I level and tamp. If I just grind, level and tamp then I see more dead spots on the bottom of the PF and the occasional spritzer.

(This may be tied in with SCC setting I guess - more tension probably mixes the grinds more as they pass through)

I joined the E37s club 2 days ago and I'm highly impressed, fluffy cones so far with no spraying or clumping. Mine has the latest SCC and is set to slightly open. Looking forward to seeing if this continues.

ACS Vesuvius, Niche Zero, Dalian Amazon & assorted greens, Osmio Zero

Lucky you. I'm having a lot of trouble with mine! I've tried slight tweaks to the SCC (like 5 degrees in either direction) but it goes from spraying to retaining a big chunk. I'm struggling to get a consistent dose to within a gram, as it's a lottery as to how much decides to fall out of the chute or get stuck. I'd love to get to the bottom of this as this was always my dream grinder but unless it's me being a Duffus then it's more like an expensive mistake. I haven't posted about this much because I keep hoping it'll settle down with use, or it's the beans, or I'll find some adjustment that works. Also I'm a bit embarrassed about having spent more than I can really afford on a grinder and not be 100% happy with it. I've been away a lot and so not able to play much and try people's suggestions, but that's finished now so I'd love to get this sorted.

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

Lucky you. I'm having a lot of trouble with mine! I've tried slight tweaks to the SCC (like 5 degrees in either direction) but it goes from spraying to retaining a big chunk. I'm struggling to get a consistent dose to within a gram, as it's a lottery as to how much decides to fall out of the chute or get stuck. I'd love to get to the bottom of this as this was always my dream grinder but unless it's me being a Duffus then it's more like an expensive mistake. I haven't posted about this much because I keep hoping it'll settle down with use, or it's the beans, or I'll find some adjustment that works. Also I'm a bit embarrassed about having spent more than I can really afford on a grinder and not be 100% happy with it. I've been away a lot and so not able to play much and try people's suggestions, but that's finished now so I'd love to get this sorted.

I found the scc a bit tricky too but nothing like as bad as you've described. I either had coffee flying out across the kitchen, or a build up of small clumps towards the back of the portafilter. The clumps weren't too bad, just a bit of an annoyance. I suspect it's better or worse depending on bean, roast, humidity, etc.

One option is to try the A.R.S.E mod (search on the forum) as this has made a difference for a few people, but I appreciate not everyone will want to start dismantling their grinder.

I would always adjust the flap with an empty chamber, so have a poke around up the chute to clear the coffee out before adjusting.

Be prepared for the output to change whenever you adjust the flap and/or grind size. Are you getting inconsistent output without adjusting anything?

What beans have you been using?

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk

Hi Fluffles.

I've waited until I can say I've tried lots of different beans. Doesn't seem to be the issue. I mainly get grinds flying out after I've cleaned it out. I don't get much clumping (although more than my supposedly inferior 65E). Once a chunk has built up at the top of the chute I don't get any flying out. The problem is then one of inconsistent dose weight. It's a total lottery what I will get out. Often falls short and I end up poking about with a wooden stirrer to release some. Never had all this trouble with the Zenith which was accurate to 0.3g. Luckily I still have it so I can always go back but that wasn't the plan when I bought this supposedly brilliant grinder. I'm keen to discuss this with other users as I'm still hopeful I can get it right. How much does your dose tend to vary by? Also, how much does one adjust the SCC flap by? I have only turned the screw maybe 15° in each direction from how it came, I assume it's a direct connection to the flap and determines the start position? Or does it turn multiple rotations and affect the tension? After all the great reviews, I can only think that it's just me not finding the right settings, unless by some unlucky chance there's a problem with mine. There is definitely a good earth so I don't think the static can be down to the euro plug. (I'm running it with an adaptor until I'm sure it doesn't need to be returned). I have electrical continuity between chute and my espresso machine (nearest other metal thing) via the earth connector so I can rule out earthing. Could it be something missing or in the wrong position where the grinds exit the chamber? Curious to know what accuracy and what settings other owners have found best.

Out for a bit but will check back later. Cheers all.

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

Hi Fluffles.

I've waited until I can say I've tried lots of different beans. Doesn't seem to be the issue. I mainly get grinds flying out after I've cleaned it out. I don't get much clumping (although more than my supposedly inferior 65E). Once a chunk has built up at the top of the chute I don't get any flying out. The problem is then one of inconsistent dose weight. It's a total lottery what I will get out. Often falls short and I end up poking about with a wooden stirrer to release some. Never had all this trouble with the Zenith which was accurate to 0.3g. Luckily I still have it so I can always go back but that wasn't the plan when I bought this supposedly brilliant grinder. I'm keen to discuss this with other users as I'm still hopeful I can get it right. How much does your dose tend to vary by? Also, how much does one adjust the SCC flap by? I have only turned the screw maybe 15° in each direction from how it came, I assume it's a direct connection to the flap and determines the start position? Or does it turn multiple rotations and affect the tension? After all the great reviews, I can only think that it's just me not finding the right settings, unless by some unlucky chance there's a problem with mine. There is definitely a good earth so I don't think the static can be down to the euro plug. (I'm running it with an adaptor until I'm sure it doesn't need to be returned). I have electrical continuity between chute and my espresso machine (nearest other metal thing) via the earth connector so I can rule out earthing. Could it be something missing or in the wrong position where the grinds exit the chamber? Curious to know what accuracy and what settings other owners have found best.

That's very interesting. I don't have one of this, but that was in my shortlist due to how great this grinder is.

If I may, I am somehow interested in the "consistency" in the dosing. I've been thinking about this for a while now, and every time I think about this I think that's an almost impossible task to achieve. My grinder (Profitec t64) does somehow the same: It will most of the time dose 18g. However, sometimes I get annoyed that the dose is inconsistent, sometimes to +/- 2g, but that doesn't happen very often. It is usually bang on or +/- 1g.

Why? I think it is to do with the retention behind the anti-static device (whether it is a grid or a device like in the e37s). In my case, it is almost the rule that, if you get a shot that dispensed 17g, next time I'll get 19g. It is almost that the amount of grinds that was meant to have ended up in the PF didn't quite made to the other side, so, in the next shot, the usual 18g grams were dispensed and the extra 1g from the previous shot ended up there too. If I remove the anti-static device from my grinder (the grid like the mazzers) I get some static, and I believe that is the exact same thing that happens to your grinder when you have the flap "open" and the grounds just spray everywhere.

That all said, I can pretty much say that the amount of coffee that ends up in the PF in the morning is never the same amount When I grind in the afternoon, potentially related to temperature / humidity in the kitchen.

Saying all of that, I am not sure whether the "perfect grinder" exist. The quest continues.

Find that lie is pretty good on dosing, but then has fits for a day or so when the grind weight falls off. I usually put this down to beans, humidity, staling as they get older or being newer and not fully rested. I set button two to 5 seconds and button one to 0.5 and I have no problem in blipping a couple times to make the weight up. I only check the weight for accuracy once in a while being quite happy to use my eye the rest of the time

Hi Fluffles.

The adjustment on the flap is really quite sensitive, so only minute adjustments are generally needed. Adjusting it with coffee in the chute is definitely not a good idea, always start with empty chute.

I've found the dosing really quite accurate to within 0.2g or so most of the time.

I take it you're using a hopper and bit single dosing? How full is the hopper?

You could always take the covers off and check that everything looks ok and nothing is missing. If you post a photo I can tell you if it looks like mine

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear you are still having problems Hotmetal - hopefully fluffes points above can help get it sorted. Shout if you want any comparison stats / photos.

Cheers guys. I'll have a further play after I've cleaned out thoroughly again. For the record I'm using the small (300-400g?) Ceado hopper, with maybe 200 grams of beans at a time and also a plastic bag full of stales to provide a bit of weight. Definitely not single dosing an OD. My 65E used to deliver 18g plus or minus 0.3g almost every time regardless of anything, once dialled in. This grinder might give me 15 or 22 at the moment, and I've had all kinds of beans through it (including 5kg of stales when I first got it). Mainly its been chewing on Rave G1 Yirg. But it's had El Desvelado and various other beans from Rave through it.

I'm going to give it a good clear out, set the SCC flap open to 'coffee storm' and see how I go with the next batch which should be 10 days post roast or thereabouts. I will report back. Appreciate the help guys.

It probably won't help if I add that after I dialled it in out of the box, I put no more than a hopper lid-full in so maybe 75g, no idea. No weighing down, no seasoning the burrs with a kilo of coffee or rice. I'm on day 5 and not a single episode of spraying or clumping. If 6 o'clock is scc closed than I have mine open at 7 o'clock or 30°

In contrast looking at youtube shots last night from one or two other makes of grinder my eyes popped out at the clumping. I dont disbelieve your problem Hotmetal but it got me to wondering whether earthing issues in some households or particular items is the issues as that's the thing I am noting compared with any previous grinder I have owned or used. Except for dialling in when the factory setting was way too coarse, I haven't had a single grind clump, spray or stick to the chute from 3 different coffees. I wasn't expecting this.

ACS Vesuvius, Niche Zero, Dalian Amazon & assorted greens, Osmio Zero

I've found the dosing really quite accurate to within 0.2g or so most of the time.

For a single dose the grinder is - may be - not the best choice. +0,1 or -0,1 sec. causes a nice quantity more or less. The reason is simple: The diameter of the burrs. I have a E37S and a E6P and my experience is: E6P is more convinient for home use (but slower) - except the missing display.

Edited by Iskanda

Mine has worked flawlessly and is a joy to use. The only time I got blockages was when using oily mahogany roast beans. As soon as I returned to something normal it ground perfectly again. I now take a consistent dose of perfect, consistent, fluffy grounds and great taste for granted.

I generally buy Rave Signature 2 Kg at a time and use a Mazzer Mini hopper. I fill it up, wait til it empties and fill it up again. It is very quick and convenient with no faffing.

The other big plus with this grinder is it is quiet. When I'm making coffee at 0530 I can bring fresh without waking up the rest of the family.

I have given the chute and flaps a good clean with a cotton bud and also put some pads under the rear feet as was suggested by someone. Things have improved dramatically since my first post. I've put 350g Fudge and El Desvelado through and it's largely behaved itself. It's gone from a large amount of grind staying in the chute (or not, hence the inaccuracy) to the chute just emptying cleanly into the basket. There remains a small amount up in the exit from the grind chamber, which I leave alone but do a quick purge every morning. It's still not 0.2g accurate, but varies between say 17-19g. Still not perfect and requires a small top-up or for some to be discarded, which adds faff but it's a bit more liveable with than it was. I wish I could get it to be how you guys describe yours though, but I'm out of ideas now everything is apparently clean.

Just got my Ceado e37s - so far working perfectly, no spraying. Does anyone know how to turn the annoying beep off? I read in a previous thread that it could be turned off - but can't find any reference to this in the user manual, or the menus. Thanks!

I am receiving my new Ceado e37s today, I have read a few posts about "running" it in, is this necessary and is this the process using rice?

Cheers

Vesuvius Dual Boiler / Ceado E37S / KvdW Shower Screen / VST Precision baskets / Torr Tamper / Motta Champion Milk Pitchers / Stretton Hills (Waitrose) Water /

Do not use rice. If you have some stale beans you can run them through, if not run a shot through and throw away then grind and use for your coffee.

The wearing in of the burrs will take some time and improve the consistency.

NB The instructions say you must not adjust with beans in the burrs, either load small amounts or use the shut off in the hopper to purge.

Also note the run and rest time for the grinder.