IGNORED

MrShades Gaggia Classic PID Kit - Complete PID kit with full guide - £89

I've been quite busy those past weeks, but I can now report that the PID works well. Don't know why I had this stability issue at the beginning. Another calibration did the trick apparently. As I was the first to ask, my PID values are 37.5, 77, and 19. Apparently they vary quite a bit from one person to another but every machine must be a bit different and I guess minute adjustments to those values probably don't make a big difference.

More importantly : the coffee. It's much much much easier to be consistent now with the PID. That was exactly what I was looking for which is great! I still have some sourness issues with my coffee, so I have to check how I can improve that. I've noticed that when fresh water flows in the reservoir the temperature drops quickly before the boiler switches on again. I think I will try to set the desired temp higher than desired, do a quick cooling flush and start pulling the espresso with the boiler already switched on. Maybe this could address this issue.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Proportional-Integral-Derivative (PID) controllers are used to control applications to regulate flow, temperature, pressure, level, and many other. PID control provides a continuous variation of outpu

In this context - It's the name of a type of 'intelligent' electronic temperature controller that can accurately and properly keep the boiler of an espresso machine at the temperature you desire.

Posted Images

So, I believe I officially hold the record for the slowest PID install - three weeks. We have been traveling so not all of it is due to laziness.

I have only made a few shots so can't definitively comment on the difference it has made to taste, I'll update when I have been through a dozen shots or so.

I do have to say that @MrShades is a great guy and extremely prompt on any queries.

The kit itself is quality and the instructions are clear for anyone that is going to do this. Took me about 2.5 hours but I'm positive it can be done in one hour if you're more of a handyman than me.

so the question is when @MrShades is going to make a pressure profiling and a shot timer kit for us.

go on @MrShades , make it happen for us all.

thanks,

K.

Hi to all, I'm new to this forum, and also using the Gaggia Classic, however I did the OPV adjust to get 9 bar extraction using a pressure gauge in the steam wand and coffee in the basket. Still not happy with shots... I would love to buy a PID kit to @MrShades, but I can't send PM yet... is there any other way to contact him? Thanks!

As I've said before, if you are new then try introducing yourself in the correct forum and engaging with a few members to get your post count up - then, when you've become more of an active member on here you can PM me and I'd gladly discuss.

As you can appreciate we get a lot of new members on here who join purely to 'take' (advice or items for sale) and never give back - and we really encourage everyone to be at least slightly involved. ;-)

You can usually find me and all of my Gaggia products at Shades of Coffee

This looks very good, and I wonder if it's the next step on my little gaggia's upgrade path. Obviously the PID helps hold a stable temperature before extraction, but does it also help alleviate the temperature drop mid-shot?

I've been casting a side eye at some of the mods people have tried to pre-heat water before it enters the boiler, but they look a lot more 'off piste' and problematic...

The PID helps mid-shot temp drop to some extent - because the PID reacts to the slight drop in temp caused by the shot being poured much quicker than the (very basic) bimetallic thermostat does on a standard machine. You will still get some drop in displayed boiler temp, but I've also modded my machine to include a brass dispersion plate in an attempt to increase the thermal mass of the boiler (and brew path) components further, so that even if water comes through at 91C then as the brass plate has been held at 93C for a significant amount of time, it should heat the water up again slightly.

Many of the basic mods for preheating water on the Classic mean that all you do is dump a great deal of preheated water back in the tank courtesy of the OPV anyway! There are some effective preheating and even double-boiler mods on Gaggias that WILL properly preheat the water prior to it entering the boiler but they're far from simple.

Ah, yes, installing a brass dispersion plate is also on my list, so it's good to hear that helps not just with the heating cycle, but also in controlling temp drop, at least a little bit.

I'm not up for complicated or drastic mods at my level of experience, so I think I'll steer clear of pre-heating for the time being.

Ah well, I think I'm going to have to do it :p just a bit too frustrating to have so little idea of temp. Shot this morning was bloody brilliant, and up there with the nicest from the machine. This evening, same grind, same warm up time and it was sour as anything.

Will send you a PM MrShades!

Could this kit eventually be linked in to a Raspberry Pi to provide remote link in to startup and shut down etc? Trying to build up to achieve something like this eventually on the classic but want to start with a Pid and add in the ability to remotely switch on/schedule start up etc.

http://ispresso.net

• 2 weeks later...
Just received mine at work earlier today, and am counting down the hours of admin and irritating my authors til I can get home and install it!

Here we go, someone else trying to break the installation record!

Good luck - don't stay up too late... and if you PM me after 11pm then you won't get any help until the morning ;-)

Absolutely delighted with mine. Picked it up at 6pm, and it's in, stabilising itself as I type.

Is it normal for it to overshoot (and stay high) until the machine's been on for a while (it's continually sitting around 106-112ºC even with the -8ºC temperature correction suggested in the manual)? I'm probably just being impatient!