Coffee Forums banner

MrShades Gaggia Classic PID Kit - Complete PID kit with full guide - £89

141K views 300 replies 101 participants last post by  CoffeeCraig 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
A while ago (OK, I started this project about 12 months ago) I decided that there were probably folk in the UK who owned Gaggia Classics and wanted to PID them but were probably a bit daunted by the task. Whilst you CAN purchase all of the parts on eBay, and buy cable and connectors and all of the tools required to make everything - I know (from doing it myself) that it all soon adds up and it's not simple.

Many people don't really know what to buy, where to source it and don't already have the tools needed to make the wires up etc. - and are therefore swayed towards the only "complete kit" for doing this easily, that being the Auber one. However, it's hellishly expensive as you can only purchase them from the US, with expensive shipping and then duty/VAT on top.

So - I decided to make a similar (perhaps better) kit myself, largely from off-the-shelf parts but combined with the popular PID components that I also sell separately (the Pt100 sensors and the aluminium boxes).

I put the outline kit together last Christmas, and started producing the manual - which I think is pretty much a complete Dummy's Guide to Install and Use - and now runs to some 59 pages of A4 (downloaded as a PDF), with lots and lots of photos, instructions, tips, etc. all the way through. The manual is finished off with a reference section for the PID.

Throughout 2015 I've had a few people contact me, who have heard via the grapevine about my kit - and a few members on here have purchased the kit, installed it (sometimes with some PM/email assistance/support from me) and they've provided some great feedback on the manual, and hence it's gradually improved over the year to the point that I've not changed it for a while (currently on V4) and am now very happy with it.

So - my original intention a year ago was to make a similar kit to the Auber one, but make it available in the UK at a reasonable price and with a better manual, and (I think) a better Pt100 sensor and a better aluminium box. Personally, I think I've done it.... ;-)

Hence I can now launch the "MrShades Gaggia Classic PID Kit".

It contains:

- Rex C100 PID - with SSR output and all pins connected (including the important 6 and 7 for alarm/steam)

- MrShades Pt100 sensor

- MrShades aluminium enclosure with mounting tape (this used to be optional, but I've decided to make it part of the main kit)

- Brew kit:

---- All wires, premade to required length and preterminated with connectors

---- SSR 40A DA with mounting screws

- Steam kit:

---- All wires, premade to required length and preterminated with connectors

---- SSR 40A AA with mounting screws

- Ancillary bits:

---- Cable ties

---- Thermal paste (for SSRs and Pt100 if desired)

---- earthing wire for enclosure

---- Spiral wire wrap

You can see a photo of the main contents, ready to go, here:

a73506649c668d23aac63feecd51a514.jpg

...and all boxed up ready to go out to the next lucky owner (this one is yours @condor87 ):

957897ae5787fdc2c91d169f481f8ca4.jpg

(The piece of paper isn't there just for the heck of it and to promote the kit, it contains the download instructions for the manual)

As I mentioned, I've spent a great deal of time and effort producing the manual - and I'm not making in publicly available as I believe that a significant part of the value in this kit is the knowledge and information within the manual. Hence I'm not posting the full manual here, but am posting a preview of the first few pages so that you can see the contents and the quality (hopefully). This sample is a LOW RES PDF and has low-res photos, the final version is 59 pages and has higher quality photos throughout.

Take a look at the manual sample here. (Note that this is truly AWFUL quality, the fonts are everywhere and the quality is awful - the proper version is very much nicer!)

I've priced this marginally above my production costs (especially when taking into account the time and effort that goes into making it up) and want to sell it mainly to help Gaggia Classic owners who perhaps feel daunted by the DIY route, not being sure what to buy or what to do with it, or just want an easy-to-fit PID kit.

Obviously anyone who buys it gets my PM/email support if required (and for what it's worth!).

Price : £89 inc UK shipping.

Drop me a PM if you're interested or have any further questions.

MrShades

*** UPDATE: *** This "1/16DIN, dual display" version of the kit will remain available, as above - though I've now launched an additional version of the kit that uses a 1/32DIN single-display controller. Full details of it are available here: http://coffeeforums.co.uk/showthread.php?31342-MrShades-Gaggia-Classic-PID-Kit-%281-32DIN%29-Complete-PID-kit-with-full-guide-%A394&p=417906#post417906

*** UPDATE ***. I've now changed the case for this kit - to a smooth finish silver case, and whilst I think it looks better and remains a "clam shell" design (so it splits apart) the new case has JUST enough room inside it to mount the PID controller in either orientation- so that case can be horizontally or vertically mounted on the Classic. I've put some other pics later on this thread but here's a couple to show the new case:

19ffa8c22326ccad7cba1b0a77432118.jpg

8a6d113b8180ee79130b4cc75b281076.jpg

81aaa854d1a2a6b0e8b251d79d55f50a.jpg

33cb7ec7a3d9096fda9e01a0f9ee2171.jpg

See less See more
#3 ·
Nice one! I was casting an eye around only a couple of hours ago at the Auber kit and was disappointed by the cost. I'll certainly be putting an order in once I've sourced a Classic to attach it to. :)

#6 ·
this sounds really interesting! might get one after I am able to source for a second-hand gaggia

just one comment/request though - could we see what the kit looks like attached to your classic? perhaps a short video of how it operates? (of course not a video to explain the set up, as I fully appreciate that we are paying for that information)

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Amusingly, I have my PID in a crappy black plastic box on my Classic - but you may well find that one of the kind souls who has bought the kit over the past few months and feels that they wish to share a photo/video or something will be along soon.... Anyone help? (Looking at you two @Asgross and @bclarke )

It's a standard RexC100 PID - and there's mucho info on the web/forum publically, but all the same - my box looks good, it's all easy to fit, and the Pt100 sensor works well! ;-)

#8 ·
Nice one mate! I think it will sell like hot cupcakes
:)
Id put another picture of this assembled so people can get an idea of what the finished product looks like in this case

#9 ·
destiny said:
Nice one mate! I think it will sell like hot cupcakes
Id put another picture of this assembled so people can get an idea of what the finished product looks like in this case
These are a few pics from my "PID enclosure" thread, that show the PID mounted in the box. Hopefully these help - but picture this stuck (with the included super-sticky-tape) to the top left hand side of a Classic...

7b04a99711fdadb70290da26c50d3831.jpg

266c18241a4269c83fb77e50fe9cd856.jpg

863b1536081328280bdec939d4fb040b.jpg

#12 ·
This is something I am interested in. I got a few bits and bobs to do a pid but never really went the whole hog as I was concerned about blowing my Gaggia, myself or both up. I can wire plug, although not done that for a along time now what with everything coming with a plug. I rember getting my Zx Spectrum out of the box, 48k, rubber keys and taking the toaster plug apart to see how it was done. I thought I was using my intitive, however my mum went mad.

Sorry, went a bit misty eyed then. How easy is it? One being a plug ten being installing a new sub-station?

#13 ·
On your scale of 1-10 my guess 2

For me very easy and

I'm not handy or mechanical at all

My limit before this was changing light bulbs

The instructions are step by step

There's no way I could have fitted this without his instructions

I love his kit , now my gaggia has great steam power and I love trying different temps for different beans

#14 ·
Asgross said:
On your scale of 1-10 my guess 2

For me very easy and

I'm not handy or mechanical at all

My limit before this was changing light bulbs

The instructions are step by step

There's no way I could have fitted this without his instructions

I love his kit , now my gaggia has great steam power and I love trying different temps for different beans
<blushes> thanks Alan - very kind words that are much appreciated.</blushes>

#19 ·
I was one of the original Beta testers for Mr Shades early Classic PID kits and can confirm how good they are. The instructions are clear and all of the parts required included. Adrian has made this an easy upgrade to perform. The temperature stability of the Classic is vastly improved (although sufficient recovery time still has to be allowed for consistent shots). Being able to adjust the brew temperature and becoming familiar with the effects of doing so certainly helped my understanding of the brew process as well as the workings of the Classic. Well worth it in my opinion.

#20 ·
Thanks @Krax - and I have to say that Keith was the first user of my original v1 manual, and his help in getting it to v2 was invaluable.

Others gave me feedback on the manual - but Keith got the first kit with first manual and probably spent as much time fitting the kit as he did providing feedback.

Thanks muchly!

#21 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ronaldbiggs said:
How much would this kit speed up the rather slow process of making multiple drinks ? The boiler side of the Gaggia has been one of the things holding me back. I already have a Mazzer SJ and wanted something to get me started but with a few of the variables reduced.
@Ronaldbiggs

It would speed up a little but not a huge amount? You do have the benefit of the temp once it has reached it's temperature being in a fixed position, consequently you would not have to wait for the thermostat to cool to start your coffee making process (thermostat replaced by PT100 sensor)

As regards the boiler if you are just catering for yourself/wifey the Gaggia will be enough.. If you have a queue of people wanting a coffee probably better looking for a larger machine. You have to ask yourself how often will there be half a dozen people waiting for coffee?

#22 ·
russe11 said:
@Ronaldbiggs

It would speed up a little but not a huge amount? You do have the benefit of the temp once it has reached it's temperature being in a fixed position, consequently you would not have to wait for the thermostat to cool to start your coffee making process (thermostat replaced by PT100 sensor)

As regards the boiler if you are just catering for yourself/wifey the Gaggia will be enough.. If you have a queue of people wanting a coffee probably better looking for a larger machine. You have to ask yourself how often will there be half a dozen people waiting for coffee?
Thanks for the advice, most of the time there will only two or three wanting coffee, I am a little uncertain which way to go, a used Gaggia and PID would be about £220 - 240, a used HX would possibly be £380+, kind of thinking to wait and just buy a used Fracino or the like.

#23 ·
@Ronaldbiggs Where in Wiltshire are you? I've almost finished putting together a Classic to sell on eBay but will probably wait until after Christmas now to sell. You are welcome to borrow it for a while to try it out. It's just a basic Classic but it will have Rancilio Steam Wand and OPV done. At least It will give you an idea as to which direction you want to take regarding a machine? Plus you can "get your hands dirty" at the same time?

I'm in Bristol so if you can find your way there easily or we could meet up if your further away you are welcome to try it.

#24 ·
russe11 said:
@Ronaldbiggs Where in Wiltshire are you? I've almost finished putting together a Classic to sell on eBay but will probably wait until after Christmas now to sell. You are welcome to borrow it for a while to try it out. It's just a basic Classic but it will have Rancilio Steam Wand and OPV done. At least It will give you an idea as to which direction you want to take regarding a machine? Plus you can "get your hands dirty" at the same time?

I'm in Bristol so if you can find your way there easily or we could meet up if your further away you are welcome to try it.
Thats a fantastic gesture Russ, I really appreciate your offer. I have over the last 3 hours purchased a Sage duo temp from Lakeland for £319. Kind of thought it's a bit of a freebie given the fact the return policy.

Hopefully it will give me a start, once again thanks for the offer, if I don't get on with the Sage I will let you know in regards to the Classic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.