NickdeBug

A question for the phone techies

Dave has been asking about his washing machine, so I thought that I would give it a go as well...

My phone (Motorola Moto E) has just downloaded a new version of the operating software. Knowing Android it is probably called Battenburg, or Type II Diabetes or similar.

A few noticeable differences to the phone and unfortunately one of them is that the battery seems to drain really quickly. As in much faster than before, as in 65% whilst sitting on my desk doing nothing since 8am.

I clicked on the battery icon and the two biggest users are Google Services and the Google App. Nice to know that Google's own update has made their apps run so much more efficiently!

Does anyone know if this is normal, and if there is anything I can do to stop it?

If not then I might have to see if my old Nokia 5140i still works. That worked flawlessly and only needed charging about once a week.

Thanks in advance

BOOM! You've just been onomatopoeia'd

If you've gone from Android 4.4 kitkat to 5.0 lollipop then this is one of many known problems.

6.0 marshmallow has just recently been released which should be better.

Marshmallow on the Nexus 5 seems good and the later versions of lollipop that I had were pretty good as well. The battery saver function - where it switches down a gear when the battery is low really helps save battery as well. Mine comes on at 15% battery and then the phone will last several more hours at least (if I'm not using it much) but it does mean everything slows down on it to conserve power.

Try turning your phone off and on in case that helps free any memory or processes up and could also check in case it has any more updates available...?

Everything my heart could desire (more or less). . .

https://cupperjoe.com

You've probably been updated to 5.0.2 that still has the known memory leak issue. I would suggest having a look on XDA developers forum, consider unlocking the bootloader, loading a custom recovery rooting it and flashing a 5.1.1 ROM based on CM12. It all sounds like a foreign language but my gf has a first gen moto G that also has 5.0.2 and that has fairly shocking battery life compared to how it was on 4.4.4.

As a quick fix go to settings > Apps > All and find the google app. Click on it and click disable.

Just checked - it is on Android 5.1

How do I get it to update with marshamllow?

Throw it away and buy an iPhone....thats my advice and I stick by it....!

Just checked - it is on Android 5.1

How do I get it to update with marshamllow?

Android 5.1 is more more stable than 5.0.2. That might suggest its either vogue apps such as the google apps or an out of date version of gapps (including google play services) that are causing unnecessary wakelocks and cpu hanging. Try downloading an app called gsam battery monitor (free version) as it might be able to help you track down what is draining your battery.

I find google services use a lot if you let them access your location, or use GPS, then the things are constantly using the phone, wifi, gps etc..

My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ - Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: YouTube channel at https://tinyurl.com/szhgxzl .......

Throw it away and buy an iPhone....thats my advice and I stick by it....!

I already have an iPhone 6 as a work phone.

It sits on my desk and I use it as a clock.

marshmallow is supposed to be much better on battery life.

haven't upgraded my nexus tablet yet as i have to root it to get certain apps i use to work and last time i did that had to do a hard reset :(

as davec says, location services, particularly gps, drain your battery pretty quickly so always disable them unless you need them, or use the low battery options.

as fbs advises, update all your apps to latest versions and install a good battery monitor if that doesn't fix things.

also, have your screen settings changed? the screen can drain battery fast so make sure it's not set overly bright and you have a decent sleep interval set.

Not a phone techie by any stretch, but have you done a factory reset after the upgrade? I did that with my LG3 after it leaking battery power after one of the Lollipop subsequent minor update downloads. Works much slicker and battery life better than it ever was. Just a thought? Don't forget to back up stuff beforehand though. .....

Alex Duetto Mk 4. Della Corte badged Mahlkonig K30 ES. Mahlkonig Home Vario. Aeropress. Hario Cold Brew.

Welcome to Android, biggest piece of sh*te ever aka 'but its free and you can customise everything'.

Power cycle, factory reset, clearing delvik cache (custom recovery required). Downgrade if possible but you might have to root the phone for that. Best to google the issue and phone model - suggested android central will probably have an answer.

As for Iphones, friend of mine works in IT and deals with company phones as part of his job. Just did a return of six iphones and when a courier showed up to do some direct replacements he found out from him that this was the courier's 437th Iphone exchanged since Sept or so. Apparently they die more often than Android devices...

T.

Espresso: Londinium L1, ZR-71 grinder

Photography: Flickr

Battery life is also a huge complaint from iPhone users, especially after upgrades to the OS, anyone would think they do it deliberately to encourage you to upgrade :exit:

Having stayed with android for my last 4 phones, the first thing I do with a new one now is go into settings and disable auto updates.

They always run best on the factory installed firmware.

I wonder how many problems are introduced by the phone manufacturers overlaying their skins and filling the device with bloatwere. I say this because I use Nexus devices (currently Nexus 5x) with stock Android Marshmallow and have never experienced battery issues. (Never had a problem with Android 4 or 5 using a N4 either)

Turning off location services (and GPS) may help with your battery problems

Rocket Giotto Evo, Mythos, Torr x 2, Rapha Chris King Tamper (coz they are cool), VST's, Hausgrind, Airgrind, Hario Slim, Chemex, Aeropress, Oomph, Puck Puck, Bialetti, Black Acaia scales, Acia Lunas,fresh beans

Blah Blah Blah - it makes coffee

Loads I'd say, same goes for security updates, a while ago a big security risk was found in Android and Google released an update, but of course it's down to manufacturers to release and push updates for specific devices. Old devices probably get ignored, newer ones might have to wait as manufacturers get their asses in gear and release another system update. That's the biggest issue with Android imho, too much is left to the manufacturers who in the end want to push their newest devices, so support for anything older than one year probably goes out the window. In the mean time Google offers only 'guidance' when it comes to development (can't do much else really) and sells on your data for big profit.

Today I thought I'd go and load the latest CM ROM onto my HTC M8 (running stock 5.0.1) and M7 (running some fairly stable custom ROM), started reading the comment threads on XDA and it seems like CM is suffering badly from battery drain. Solution: install custom kernel, which I've done before a few times but some people say they are already running custom kernels and still getting battery drain, or experience other issues like custom reboots (had that on the M7 on one custom ROM). So for now I'll stick with what I've got and probably never make the move to CM or any other custom ROM for that matter. It's just too much faff in my opinion...

T.

I remember years ago (late 90's) I bought a Nokia 5110 on Cellnet, 18 months paid upfront package - it only needed charging up once a week and IIRC cost me £180.00. A mate bought the same package but with the cheaper Ericsson thing that looked like a calculator and that needed charging up every day. Oh how I laughed that it wouldn't last a day without a charge... Fast forward to today and I'm charging my iPhone up every night, sometimes in the evening.. There's progress for you...

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3 + Mahlkonig EK43 Turkish burrs + Niche

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

And people call those super phones of today 'smart phones' ;)

T.

I remember years ago (late 90's) I bought a Nokia 5110 on Cellnet, 18 months paid upfront package - it only needed charging up once a week and IIRC cost me £180.00. A mate bought the same package but with the cheaper Ericsson thing that looked like a calculator and that needed charging up every day. Oh how I laughed that it wouldn't last a day without a charge... Fast forward to today and I'm charging my iPhone up every night, sometimes in the evening.. There's progress for you...

I watch movies, TV programmes and sporting events on my phone. I listen to music, read books, surf the net and receive emails. I skype, tweet, message and "Facebook". My phone can even show me the way home and tell me where the nearest pub is. IT EVEN MAKES PHONECALLS!! .......Yes, that is progress. (and if the price of all that is charging it every night, then its well worth it):)

I watch movies, TV programmes and sporting events on my phone. I listen to music, read books, surf the net and receive emails. I skype, tweet, message and "Facebook". My phone can even show me the way home and tell me where the nearest pub is. IT EVEN MAKES PHONECALLS!! .......Yes, that is progress. (and if the price of all that is charging it every night, then its well worth it):)

Bet it doesn't have snake on it ;)

I can use mine as a remote access for my Mac, and operate it from another room (like turn it off etc.)

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3 + Mahlkonig EK43 Turkish burrs + Niche

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..