garydyke1

EK43 'Barista'

The wee placard telling you what's actually new. Think that was cut off before.

Ah got you.

Boots, you got a link to that video we were looking at earlier. Shows some of the detail.

DE1Pro, EK43 SSP, bloody tasty coffee!

GrindScience.com - My blog of coffee related ramblings

Matt Perger confirmed Grind by Weight is an a unit that can be added to any grinder. Specifically saying: Emphasis on any grinder. Didn't give more deets than that.

Everything my heart could desire (more or less). . .

https://cupperjoe.com

Interestingly just came across this post from HB from March last year. No sources to support the claim.

They just announced a new improvement to the EK that gives a finer adjustment for the knob. Apparently the knob itself is bigger, and there's 10 steps between each major setting. It will come stock on all new EK's, and there's a simple retrofit for older models soon to be available.

Did this happen, and is there a slightly newer EK, or I wonder if this idea evolved into the EK Barista, or if the possibility to retrofit still exists.

Sure it will be an epic grinder but christ its fugly!

The mix of polished & satin steel, the red... the wooden tray... the feet! & did I mention the red...

If you tried to make it look like a 6th form project on a very limited budget you couldn't have done any worse!

If its a 'prototype' then it should have stayed at that & stayed in the factory till finished. if that in any way resembles the finished product its simply aesthetically awful!!!

Interestingly just came across this post from HB from March last year. No sources to support the claim.

Did this happen, and is there a slightly newer EK, or I wonder if this idea evolved into the EK Barista, or if the possibility to retrofit still exists.

Yes, its simply a newer dial with more increments

@garydyke1

Ah I see. Wonder if this new system is retrofittable though, whether mahl intend it or not.

I think they made the clockface on the front more detailed, could be that. I'm using a 3fe dial which does a very good job. I don't need it any more accurate than I have it as I'd be messing too much :)

Ah I see. Wonder if this new system is retrofittable though, whether mahl intend it or not.

It's a sticker so it should be retrofittable.

It's a sticker so it should be retrofittable.

I mean the new double knob on the barista.

I mean the new double knob on the barista.

Fair enough, I don't think that's the same thing HB were talking about though. Could be wrong :)

I can't think of any reason which the new knob or portafilter mount would not be easy to retrofit to an existing ek providing they kept the sizes the same which I imaging they did. The actual grind looks the same just a different from and mounting stand.

I made a similar nozzle to the one on this new ek and it was a nightmare so I'm keen to see what they've done to combat static etc...

My guess is they quickly knocked something up at the last minute to take too the show :)

I am scratching my head. How will you make a notes to dial set up. The big one goes up to 80 and small one is +-6.

This is fail :-(

I am scratching my head. How will you make a notes to dial set up. The big one goes up to 80 and small one is +-6.

This is fail :-(

I imagine, 4.25, 7.68 for example?

Big one has 80 notches and small one +-60.

So it could be 15+25 or 10-35???

Or just to make a note to big dial and small one is for bean age, weather,... :)

As you rotate the small one the big one rotates slowly as well, at least that's how multiturn knobs work on multiturn pots. So you'd have say 60+5 (60 big turns and 5 small ones) or 21+4 (21full turns and 4 small ones) etc. The small knob is like a decimal number although only goes up to 6 so can be a bit confusing.

T.

Espresso: Londinium L1, ZR-71 grinder

Photography: Flickr

Who wants Mazzer when they can get the real deal in Mahlkonig and Compak

Coffee: Ek - Feldgrind- Brewista Kettle - Bonavita Scale - Hario V60 - Kalita Wave - FRVD Moka Pot - Sowden

Hi,

anyone ever heard if it's possible to use an EG43 (originally intended for grinding cereal) for espresso?

Thank you,

Br

Have a look at this. l The EK/EG series of grinders use the same motor and components with different burr sets depending on what the particular material/substance is being ground. The manual makes clear that burr sets should only be used for the designated substance - EG for cereals - EK for coffee. You could change the burr set on an EG therefore and insert some coffee burrs but you would also probably need to change the pre-breaker as well adding to the cost. A set of burrs for the EK cost around £350 plus VAT. If you can pick up an EG very cheaply it might be worth considering.

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs