Hi Guys & Girls.

Looking at starting a new online business after I get back off my holiday in November.

I've been researching on and off for last 6 years but can't find anything that gives me

any real answers.

Does anyone know if I was to purchase bulk beans in kilos (already foil packed) opened

and repackaged as my own brand, is this illegal? The closest I've come to any information

was if I was to say it was packaged by "company".

Any advice ?

Thanks In Advance.

Hi Guys & Girls.

Looking at starting a new online business after I get back off my holiday in November.

I've been researching on and off for last 6 years but can't find anything that gives me

any real answers.

Does anyone know if I was to purchase bulk beans in kilos (already foil packed) opened

and repackaged as my own brand, is this illegal? The closest I've come to any information

was if I was to say it was packaged by "company".

Any advice ?

Thanks In Advance.

It's not illegal, but I think the labelling regs might require you to identify where it was roasted, they always used to, but things have become lax now. More importantly, if you buy bulk beans open them and repack them, they will stale pretty fast and their shelf life will be hugely reduced. In addition it's quite likely the coffee will be weeks old when you repack it. What date were you thinking of putting on the packaging>

Here is a better suggestion, rather than parasitically push shit into the market, why not add value and roast your own offering. What you propose to do has no added value at all and just takes more margin out of the product! This means to be competitive and make any decent profit you have to buy cheap coffee and mark it up, or you have to charge a lot more for your special "service" whatever that may be.

P.S. I speak from some experience of people doing similar things to what you propose. I was in contempt of the practice then and still am today.

Grrrrr!

Edited by DavecUK
It made me feel quite grumpy

ezgif.com-gif-maker(2).gif.e86a9bdd3d8e72977b9f1a858ca5b70d.gif  It's just a game and I beat it.

My idea is to not undo and leave open for weeks, it will be to open and repack within minutes. then re label to sell on.

My future plans would be to roast and flavour my own but don't have the major capital to start

the business i.e.roasting and packaging myself.

Want to start small and build up a fan base by not selling a "shit" product.

I don't want to put major marks ups for my service I've found a seller that will bulk sell a decent coffee.

My idea is to not undo and leave open for weeks, it will be to open and repack within minutes. then re label to sell on..

I'm not stupid, I know exactly what it is you want to do.....and whatever you say, you will be adding no value, just parasitically taking from the chain. Don't do it this way, do it the right way.

ezgif.com-gif-maker(2).gif.e86a9bdd3d8e72977b9f1a858ca5b70d.gif  It's just a game and I beat it.

Sounds a bit dodgy to me and probably not legal unless you did it the right way.

What it sounds like you're talking about is an "OEM" (original equipment manufacturer) type agreement where someone else makes it and you sell it? A supermarket own brand is probably made by a major food company (easiest analogy).

You would have to have permission from the company to do so.

I would think you would need to have some "clout" to persuade a reputable roaster to allow you to do this with their product. Definitely a good business plan to present to them.

You'd probably negotiate them supplying you in bulk with differently branded packaging for your company (don't know who would pay for the packaging - either one of you could pay for depending on how you negotiated it).

This would negate the packaging problems associated with opening and closing bags which might lead to a sub par / tainted product.

Also you could negotiate to so it under your business name or to share credit (roasted by / supplied by) etc.

My idea is to not undo and leave open for weeks, it will be to open and repack within minutes. then re label to sell on.

My future plans would be to roast and flavour my own

Hi Peter!

When you say 'flavour' can you elaborate please?

Thanks!

Sounds a bit dodgy to me and probably not legal unless you did it the right way.

What it sounds like you're talking about is an "OEM" (original equipment manufacturer) type agreement where someone else makes it and you sell it? A supermarket own brand is probably made by a major food company (easiest analogy).

You would have to have permission from the company to do so.

I would think you would need to have some "clout" to persuade a reputable roaster to allow you to do this with their product. Definitely a good business plan to present to them.

You'd probably negotiate them supplying you in bulk with differently branded packaging for your company (don't know who would pay for the packaging - either one of you could pay for depending on how you negotiated it).

This would negate the packaging problems associated with opening and closing bags which might lead to a sub par / tainted product.

Also you could negotiate to so it under your business name or to share credit (roasted by / supplied by) etc.

If the volume is there I am sure there are roasters who offer a 'white labelled'/own-label product for restaurants and cafes and so on...

If the volume is there I am sure there are roasters who offer a 'white labelled'/own-label product for restaurants and cafes and so on...

Absolutely 100% certain that there will be businesses doing this already and it is a viable proposition with the right potential volume / client list to be attractive to roaster. High volume, guaranteed business with safety checks in place on both sides and it's a winner.

However... it didn't seem from the OP that this was his intent - but rather just to buy direct, repackage and sell online to a mass audience without permission from roaster or being straight with his audience. Not enough info to know for sure but I don't think the plan is a sound or a legal one. (I may be mistaken both about the OP's intended business model and how he intends to put it together but I do have some experience in OEM business - not coffee or food related).

It's legal, you probably need to be registered as a food business with your council.

You are adding zero value though.

Your supplier probably isn't a 'specialty' supplier either, suspect commodity if they are OK with what you are doing so you will be selling a poor product in comparison to what people can buy direct from the many specialty roasters or the shops that sell their beans.

Why not go a stage further and talk to a roaster who has the spare capacity to roast for you and white label them. Only have a couple of blends that can be to your own taste and design, giving you the niche you wish. Make the bags as jazzy etc as you like, and market away. Then the client is still getting a freshly roasted bean etc etc

Outmost is not a word........I am getting better, only 4 errors this time

Don't bother, i can't see how you'll make any money from this venture . But If you think you have a massive customer base for commodity coffee go for it , If you think people buy speciality coffee because of its label or how the packaging looks I'm afraid you are sadly mistaken .

Speciality coffee is produced by roasters who have gained a reputation through time from blood ,sweat and tears .

Good luck if you think you think you will get repeat customers, surely a basic principle in your marketing strategy as you seem to be well away if all you have left to consider is the packaging .

Oh yeah don't dont forget your logistics .

im also out

Edited by Thecatlinux

A much better idea @dfk41 ! You could do that to test the water, then start your roasting business proper if you get the sales results to justify it.

Rocket Giotto Evoluzione v2, Eureka Zenith 65E, Niche grinder, Pharos grinder with VoodooDaddy mods, Eureka MDL, Torr Goldfinger, Smart Tamp. Various coffee stuff.

Hi Guys & Girls.

I've been researching on and off for last 6 years

Have I seen your business plan before ?

Is part of your USP that you will give a percentage to charity ?

Why not go a stage further and talk to a roaster who has the spare capacity to roast for you and white label them. Only have a couple of blends that can be to your own taste and design, giving you the niche you wish. Make the bags as jazzy etc as you like, and market away. Then the client is still getting a freshly roasted bean etc etc

This

'working closely with renowned roasters to bring you unique beans and roast profiles only available to me is much better than 'buying and opening some beans then reselling them in a different bag to give you... Nothing unique'

better business model, more saleable, more original. Could even work with multiple roasters...