IGNORED

To use the modern parlance....OMGEEEEEEE! Mazzer SJ has changed everything!

So...after starting out with a used Classic about 10 days ago and using pre-ground, the results were 'meh'....

I then bought a hand grinder, which improved things, and then went from waitrose own brand coffee beans to some recently roasted from Redtail, and I was impressed. Getting used to the machine and the grinder, and using some awesome tips from you guys and girls, I was getting closer to a half decent espresso.

Then today....today was a game changer. I picked up a Mazzer Super Jolly from eBay around lunchtime. I got it home, fiddled with the grind settings and was amazed that literally you can get anything from a super unbelievably fine flour consistency, to beans that look like they've just been thumped with a hammer.

After finding a decent, fairly fine grind setting, I ground some fresh beans, weighed it out and got cracking. And my god, it was a sea change in everything. A nice slow pull, an amazing pale brown, creamy liquid coming from the porta filter, and (because I used a shot glass), a lovely dark brown espresso with the crema settling like a pint of Guinness!

This was the holy grail, something I never thought I could realistically achieve at home, and here it is! And it tasted awesome, smooth, deep, complex, not bitter, just awesome! In my mind I thought I wouldn't be able to get these results, but it happened!

And that was on the first attempt!...I'm going to start some serious experimenting and fine tuning, but I just wanted to share that the Mazzer made such an unbelievable difference to the espresso I was making - it's kind of blown my mind!

Anyway, thanks all!!!

Cheers,

Andy

A lot is said about the importance of the grinder and I, for one, didnt initially see what a key role the grinder played in the process.

Its only when you see and taste the difference that you truly appreciate the grinders impact

It's amazing how quickly you adapt too. Having been used to drinking fresh coffee with beans from good roasters (I'm slowly trying as many as I can from the guys on here!) I made the mistake of running out of beans. In sheer desperation of a weekend with no coffee I foolishly bought some beans from Waitrose to use in my 65E while the fresh beans were in the post. Bleurgh! I had to throw the bag away and sanitise my grinder they were so horrible. The flip side to being able to make decent coffee at home is that your standards and expectations get raised... ?

Nobody believes what a massive difference grinders make until they experience it themselves. I went from an MC2 to a Mignon and noticed the difference, only to be stunned by the massive improvement that moving to a Mazzer Major brought. 83mm burrs seem to open up the flavour massively.

Which is why I'm still kicking myself that I didn't jump on the E37s intro offer the Chap was doing (having only just got my 65e). The Ceado is still in the back of my mind waiting for the right moment and some sort of windfall!

Nobody believes what a massive difference grinders make until they experience it themselves. I went from an MC2 to a Mignon and noticed the difference, only to be stunned by the massive improvement that moving to a Mazzer Major brought. 83mm burrs seem to open up the flavour massively.

You can imagine what difference going from a dodgy RR45 to a Major made then. I can't see me upgrading anytime soon.

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3  + Niche

Output: Slayer One Group + La Pavoni + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..