Sign in to follow this  
Sami

Compak E10: Grinds only coming out of left side of chute

Starting yesterday, the grinds started coming out of the left side of the chute.

It's not life-threatening, but not ideal. It does affect distribution, though not as badly as you'd think - they tend to pile up towards the centre anyway. A tiny amount spills off the edge of the portafilter.

I'm thinking it's a case of the exit chute curtain having a blockage? ( @dfk41 ) In which case I'll have to remove the adjustment collar before detaching the plastic cover on the front and having a poke about...

Hi @Sami, apart from the obvious od poking something thin up the chute I am stuck. Obviously it must be a blockage. The other way would be to take the hopper off and a la lens hood mod find a way of blowing air down from the top. Sorry i cannot be of more use

Update:

Removed the chute to give it a clean and found there was no curtain so I fitted the thinner of the 2 curtains you supplied me with. The result? Massive clumping, the grinds were coming out much more compressed rather than the usual fluffy.

I maintained the previous dose and grind settings, ran a couple of extractions and they came out horribly.

Removed the curtain and all is well again.

Looks like it was a bit of a blockage on the exit hole of the grind chamber.

Weird that the curtain was messing things up like that though...

Thanks @dfk41 for getting back!

Pleasure, even though I did nothing! The curtains were designed for the E8 but Compak sent me a set as I asked. I never found the E10 particularly clumpy unless the beans were oily. Glad it is sorted!