DavecUK

It's that time of year again - New Roaster coming on test

Wow, dunno. What I do know is that it should sit flat to the front plat, mine does only in the one position. Is this due to hole alignment when the front plate is drilled and tapped, is it the way the cap is made....who knows. However with a bearing it's good engineering practice to put it back the same way, even if it can go back in any 1 of 3 positions. As for adaptation, all bearings of this nature will, in the same way as moving parts within engines do.

I think you should punch a 6 O clock mark in the base ;)

Thanks mate - ah ok, will check on mine when it's due

haha, yea probably 6 o'clock would look nicer if punched in the front. I thought about marking rim or backside where it stays out of sight and doesn't affect function (like you would during an engine overhaul)

The same on mine - took some muscle to release the gun.

A good idea will be to polish a bit the nipple.

did that, but wouldn't recommend as you need to be so careful not to get metal dust near the ball and into the bearing as a result... also it didn't work wonders.

@Hasi and @Dotix

Are the connectors on your grease gun adjustable?

May be an alternative solution to fit an adjustable connector?

This one comes with 2 adjustable connectors, so if you find that is more economical than buying an adjustable connector separately.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362530159253

You are right - stupid me...

Mine was tight from factory and haven't notice is adjustable.

Thanks for this Batian!

An adjustable nozzle works perfectly, on both the mullered old nipple and, rather more importantly, on the new nipple.

Not sure whether it really is that important to locate the front bush in the same orientation. Any lack of concentricity will either be irrelevant or ground down after a few 10s of hours.

ECM Synchronika, Olympus 75, Dalian Amazon, Gene Cafe and a small quantity of green beans

Not sure whether it really is that important to locate the front bush in the same orientation. Any lack of concentricity will either be irrelevant or ground down after a few 10s of hours.

When Uncle David says it is important....one should listen......but it's your roaster. ;)

My reviews at http://coffeestuff.byethost12.com/ (now ad free)  Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ (old site)

Please explain why? I offered a view on the lack of concentricity, but that would have been a problem from the word go. But in general terms I would always follow the mantra of replace as found, even to the extent of bolts/screws.

ECM Synchronika, Olympus 75, Dalian Amazon, Gene Cafe and a small quantity of green beans

Please explain why? I offered a view on the lack of concentricity, but that would have been a problem from the word go. But in general terms I would always follow the mantra of replace as found, even to the extent of bolts/screws.

Look it's your roaster, please feel free to replace it in any way you want. It's old school mechanical engineering and 2 lifetimes of experience, mine and my fathers...I just don't have the time or inclination to try tutor this stuff on a forum. Perhaps you're completely correct and it won't make any difference at all, without tests one can't know, what I do know is because of that very reason, my advice is likely to hold good.

As a mate once said to me when I experience surprise at some of the things he has done. "It's obvious to you because you don't realise what you do know and it's the assumption that other people also know it". I have no idea what you know, I forget what I simply "know" and wouldn't be good (or would lack the patience) at explaining it.

My reviews at http://coffeestuff.byethost12.com/ (now ad free)  Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ (old site)

Full 300kg clean lube and polish, all going well till very last job greasing the rear bearing, snapped off grease nipple trying to get stupid 4 clamp jaw off, argh!

Luckily spring left inside gave enough purchase to screw out stub of nipple.

Stainless steel M6 nipples and new grease gun quick release ordered, Tuesday delivery.

Moral of the story: grease guns are a pain in the proverbial; get some spare nipples in before you do this job (mine was located at the 9 O'clock position); don't do this job on a sunday afternoon when nothing open...

Otherwise everything easy if a little messy :)

John

• Like 1

Roasters: BB Dalian Amazon 1kg -Power contolled GeneCafe 101- 106Kg of greens - Tonino

Espresso: Londinium L2 - Gaggia G105 - Silvia v3 Mr.Shades PID'-d - Faema E92a2 (Project) - MyPressi Twist - VST baskets / Motta Europa (350/500/750ml) - Torr Ti 58.55 & Goldfinger flat 58.4 TiBlack, Pullman 51.4 - Acaia x2

Grinders: Flats: Compak R120 - NS Mythos plus Conics: Compak K10PB - Lido 3

Brewed: Behmor Brazen - Moccamaster KBGT471 - Aeropress - V60 - Cona model D - Clever - Mizudashi - 8-10 + 6 cup Chemex

Water: BWT Bestmax V Refrac: VST III

and a Puq Press not in a pear tree..

Not sure which / what grease gun you are using but the old Wanner and Teclamit guns had back pressure release valves fitted.

A small knurled nut on the Wanner and  a ball bearing you depressed on the Teclamit gun:confused: