DavecUK

It's that time of year again - New Roaster coming on test

I was asked some months ago about a particular roaster and I thought it would be good for it to come on test for possible sale in the UK. I have seen engineering diagrams of the mechanical parts of the roaster and it looks well constructed, but unfortunately no electrical diagrams. it's arriving tomorrow and I'm actually quite excited. It's a roaster in the 1kg class and I understand it will be quite attractively priced. I will take some photos when it arrives, but the in the ones I've already seen it looks very nice.

More updates to follow.....assuming people are interested.

Crem One 2B DBPP (pre production version), ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DBPP (paddle flow control), Lelit Mara X Prototype, BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK, Eureka Atom Speciality 75, Eureka "Blow UP System", VDT Vibration thing: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

Yep - Interested :good:

Astoria Perla Junior/Mazzer SJ/Gene Cafe (dimmer mod)

Not roasting as much as I did due to time constraints with Hottop maximising at 230/250 gram input.

Would be very interested in hearing about something with a 1 kilo input.

Edited by ronsil

Ron 

yes please, echoing Ron's comments above, 2 roasts a week got to be better than 6/7/8 seperate ones anytime.

John

Roasters: BB Dalian Amazon 1kg -Power contolled GeneCafe 101- 106Kg of greens - Tonino

Espresso: Londinium L2 - Gaggia G105 - Silvia v3 Mr.Shades PID'-d - Faema E92a2 (Project) - MyPressi Twist - VST baskets / Motta Europa (350/500/750ml) - Torr Ti 58.55 & Goldfinger flat 58.4 TiBlack, Pullman 51.4 - Acaia x2

Grinders: Flats: Compak R120 - NS Mythos plus Conics: Compak K10PB - Lido 3

Brewed: Behmor Brazen - Moccamaster KBGT471 - Aeropress - V60 - Cona model D - Clever - Mizudashi - 8-10 + 6 cup Chemex

Water: BWT Bestmax V Refrac: VST III

and a Puq Press not in a pear tree..

You all think it's this roaster don't you?

Well...it's not, photos to come tomorrow pm.

Crem One 2B DBPP (pre production version), ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DBPP (paddle flow control), Lelit Mara X Prototype, BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK, Eureka Atom Speciality 75, Eureka "Blow UP System", VDT Vibration thing: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

I just saw a post on CG of you talking about a new 1kg roaster review... so I've gone to this forum hoping to get more info, and here it is :)

Very interested!!

I was asked some months ago about a particular roaster and I thought it would be good for it to come on test for possible sale in the UK. I have seen engineering diagrams of the mechanical parts of the roaster and it looks well constructed, but unfortunately no electrical diagrams. it's arriving tomorrow and I'm actually quite excited. It's a roaster in the 1kg class and I understand it will be quite attractively priced. I will take some photos when it arrives, but the in the ones I've already seen it looks very nice.

More updates to follow.....assuming people are interested.

Aillio Bullet?

02-10-16 Eeklo Belgium, I'm on it with my great coffees for the second time <first time!="">

The biggest outside Flea market from Vlaanderen 1400 stands

Sales flap open; 08:00 www.facebook.com/A3koffie < My coffee-trailer >

!! I Love CoffeeForums UK !!

</first>

Aillio Bullet?

When I posted "you think it's this roaster ", I forgot to add the link to the Aillio web site....not, it's not the Bullet. I would not be as excited, if it was the bullet....because I would be wondering what to do with all the smoke.

Can you give us a hint on price Dave?

Astoria Perla Junior/Mazzer SJ/Gene Cafe (dimmer mod)

Can you give us a hint on price Dave?

Unfortunately not yet, but I am hoping to persuade them to do a pre-order special launch price for the first 5 or so, if the roaster is any good...to try and get a few out in the wild. I must admit, it looks so pretty in the photos I've seen of the actual roaster and seems so nicely designed, if the "sizzle is as good as the sausage", I might be tempted to buy the test one, add it to my collection of roasters and sell my Quest M3. only 2.5 hours before it arrives...best charge the camera batteries.

A larger capacity roaster would be great, if it were at a good price.

If only something like those Mill City Roasters, from the US, were easily available here as 240V variants....

Come on Dave - tell us more!

Lots of everything: machines, grinders, roaster, beans, tampers, baskets, blah, blah

However - Too much is never enough!

A larger capacity roaster would be great, if it were at a good price.

If only something like those Mill City Roasters, from the US, were easily available here as 240V variants....

Come on Dave - tell us more!

Ah, just done some digging - and they ARE available in the UK - 1Kg electric roaster.... £3000+VAT: http://www.roastyourowncoffee.co.uk/ ----- hmmmm.....

Lots of everything: machines, grinders, roaster, beans, tampers, baskets, blah, blah

I very much doubt it... 'twas just a comment from me on what I'd like to own as a 1Kg roaster.

If possible go for gas!

02-10-16 Eeklo Belgium, I'm on it with my great coffees for the second time <first time!="">

</first>

If possible go for gas!

Can be a big problem for many people, ducting, location of gas supply, health and safety considerations, ventilation etc..In the 1kg market, probably not necessary...for larger roasters I would agree. Anyway it's not gas, I am awaiting permission to publish some photos and it's a good job because one of my camera batteries is knackered and the other is on charge.

What I can tell you is it arrived this afternoon. 2 of us lifted it onto the roasting worktop in my workshop and it's heavy but not too bad. the body of the roaster is about 60kg, the chaff collector probably another 10 kg. The roaster is a really pretty little roaster externally (because i still have to give it an internal exam:rolleyes:). The outside look is very good indeed, the finish is nice, it's like a little jewel (so really good for a roaster). It's a Chinese roaster (as most of them are), but it looks like it's been made in Korea. really well finished, really nice quality. I was pretty surprised, because the Toper I used to own had a very industrial finish, very heavy but read old Russian car heavy. This roaster you can liken to the build of a good modern car, not as heavy, but much better made.

heating power on our voltage is around 2300W, which is plenty and the motors only add another 100 watts or so when running, so the whole thing runs happily on a 10.2 amp draw. This means a standard 13 amp plug is fine. The drum is great and perforated stainless steel with wrap around heating elements over the top 70% of the drum...NOT concentrated at the bottom. The drum is super quality and mixes the beans exceptionally well. I couldn't resist and fired her up to do some roasts after a few basic electrical safety tests. I would say she needs around 20 minutes to properly warm up and my first roast was a bit slow. you can also control airflow as well as max temp and the airflow has a huge impact, so the first roast did not go so well as it wasn't properly warmed, read 10m and I wasn't used to the airflow. 18m 30s later I had my coffee but not expecting much.

I popped in the next batch whilst the first was cooling in the cooling tray and this time when with my gut, rather than the chinese instructions which were super basic, no that's a lie, they were useless. This time the roast completed in 16 minutes, much darker and a better time for the roast level, but I had learnt more.

Roast number 3 completed in 15m and roast 4 in just over 13 minutes (all to medium dark), all mainly down to a slightly higher max temperature and better use of the airflow control. This means I can get short or long roasts as I desire....so I'm happy at the moment (until I taste them). it also shows the need for a good long warm up of 20 minutes and even then your first roast will still be slower than the rest. I guess I am spoiled by the CBR1200, nip out 4 minutes to heat up.

In my old toper, the sweep arms of the cooling tray were not fantastic and often I was using a paintbrush to help get all the beans out thru the cooling tray chute. In this roaster I switched in on and to my great pleasure, every single bean was quickly and efficiently swept down the chute by the sweep arms! If you have ever used commercial roasters where this doesn't happen you will know how irritating it is.

In one particular area is was truly outstanding....chaff clearance, it was incredible. I'll swear it was as good as the 25kg Probat I used to use. there was pretty much NO chaff on the beans and I roasted 2 different varietals, one I know is pretty chaffy. Even with my CBR 1200, I like to tip my beans from container to container in a breeze to remove every last vestige of chaff...I'm a bit OCD about chaff (for a few good reasons). I was able to take the beans from this roaster and put em straight into the bag!

Roasts were also very, very even and no scorching or tipping, even when I used quite high drop temps.

So far loving it....it's a roaster that you need to develop some skill to use and you have to watch it quite closely unlike my CBR1200, but for those who take the time to learn, it looks like the results will be worth it.

As for photos, hopefully can post some tomorrow. I need to make this very clear....IF BB decide to sell it, price wise all I can say is it will be worth every penny of what I understand BB are going to charge and I think it's a price which may persuade the more adventurous (Ron), to actually stump up and buy one. One thing I know for sure is, they plan to have a preorder price for early adopters (very limited number of places), that will make it a fantastic deal for those lucky few able to get it.

Remember I still have to taste the results over the next 5-7 days, I also have to inspect it internally and roast a lot more than 4kg.....for me personally, if it continues to please me and deliver as i hope it will. I'm going to try and negotiate to buy this one to add it to my roaster collection and no, I won't be selling my CBR1200, but I will sell my Quest M3.

Edited by DavecUK

I could buy a few weeks ago an Toper 1kg, for little money less than 1500 euro, it was electric so I did pass, gas/lpg is so more faster in respons, if I could buy for an reasonable price a gas driven roaster, super I will go for it.

</first>

I could buy a few weeks ago an Toper 1kg, for little money less than 1500 euro, it was electric so I did pass, gas/lpg is so more faster in respons, if I could buy for an reasonable price a gas driven roaster, super I will go for it.

Yes, well it's not gas, I don't know how many roasters and what type you have used, but gas is not so popular in the 1kg market....well except for people like yourself, where only gas will do. Remember you won't have a fully modulating burner not on a 1kg roaster and not on many/most larger roasters, so temperature control is still fairly limited. With electrics like my CBR1200, you can put power control in. You should have bought that toper for 1500 euro, it was a used bargain if in good condition. Even if you didn't want it you could have easily made a good profit on it.

Edited by DavecUK

18' first roast

16' second

15' third

13' fourth

Perhaps is not a little underpowered in relation with its mass?? Seems to need lot of heat to stabilize temperature.

Thanks Dave for your effort.

BTW: A comparison vs your CBR 1200 would be great. Would it be possible?

Yes, well it's not gas, I don't know how many roasters and what type you have used, but gas is not so popular in the 1kg market....well except for people like yourself, where only gas will do. Remember you won't have a fully modulating burner not on a 1kg roaster and not on many/most larger roasters, so temperature control is still fairly limited. With electrics like my CBR1200, you can put power control in. You should have bought that toper for 1500 euro, it was a used bargain if in good condition. Even if you didn't want it you could have easily made a good profit on it.

It did go to someone I know, thats even better! ;-)

</first>

18' first roast

16' second

15' third

13' fourth

Perhaps is not a little underpowered in relation with its mass?? Seems to need lot of heat to stabilize temperature.

Thanks Dave for your effort.

BTW: A comparison vs your CBR 1200 would be great. Would it be possible?

You have to remember I was still getting to grips with the amount of airflow required and the last 2 roasts i use 2 very different airflow profiles. as for power vs mass, even the 1960s gas powered 25kg Probats took 25 minutes to warm up enough to start roasting properly and then the first 2 roasts were slower than the rest.....and they had loads of power. there is a lot of metal trying to sink heat away from even this little roaster. The problem is if you use power to overcome this, you can get hotspots and tipping/scorching of the beans. 2kW is plenty to roast 1kg.

I'll probably try and do some comparison with the CBR 1200 if it gets to review stage....although they are 2 different beasts, aimed at different types of people (or people like me who like both types). Sort of like classic cars and modern cars. Or electric vs ICE cars of which we have both.

yes, but only if I can do a jedi mind trick and fool you into accepting beer money not champagne money ::)

John

Roasters: BB Dalian Amazon 1kg -Power contolled GeneCafe 101- 106Kg of greens - Tonino

Espresso: Londinium L2 - Gaggia G105 - Silvia v3 Mr.Shades PID'-d - Faema E92a2 (Project) - MyPressi Twist - VST baskets / Motta Europa (350/500/750ml) - Torr Ti 58.55 & Goldfinger flat 58.4 TiBlack, Pullman 51.4 - Acaia x2

Grinders: Flats: Compak R120 - NS Mythos plus Conics: Compak K10PB - Lido 3

Brewed: Behmor Brazen - Moccamaster KBGT471 - Aeropress - V60 - Cona model D - Clever - Mizudashi - 8-10 + 6 cup Chemex

Water: BWT Bestmax V Refrac: VST III

and a Puq Press not in a pear tree..