Coffee Forums banner
5K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  sandykt 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Its been a while but after fussing around with lots of different machine from bodum to gaggia, and many in-between I've settled for a compromise which involves a bean to cup...."cue boos and hissing" apart from being free which was the clincher I'm more happy with this than any of the other 7 machines I've had over the last 6 months. which included a gaggia classic (unreliable) Bodum granos (unreliable leaky) la pavoni Eurobar (HUGE) Briel x 2(explodable) Dualit (tiny) rancilio silvia (beautiful but leaky = so disappointed!)....I have a brand new delongi bean to cup which after a week is my favourite machine to date.....Coffee quality is below the rancillo (slightly) but delivers a consistently great espresso......built in grinders great! it even cleans itself! and there's no grinds everywhere apart from a plastic box full of pucks inside....with the other's I found them even when I have 2 knock box's they still manage to be all in the sink and over the work surface....All I do now is buy fresh beans and cravendale....stress free and soooooooooo tasty!

Coffeemaker Espresso machine Kitchen appliance Drip coffee maker Home appliance

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
What ever works for you Matt and no one can accuse you of not giving the hands on approach a good whirl. TBH, I have wondered about picking up a bean to cup machine at the right price for the office.

Don

#4 ·
Monkey Boy - where have you been?! A free machine, now that's not like you at all (LOL). My money is on you having this one until the end of January. Hope married life is treating you well.

#5 ·
Glad you've got what you want hope it works well for you.

So what are you doing with all your old kit?

Gaz

#6 ·
Married life is ACE
:)
Just given the La Pavoni to my mum and the bodum fell strangely out of my 3rd floor window!?.....I can honestly say that bean to cup is great! I kind of miss the fussing about but the quality of the cup makes me forget all about it
......good to be back and might get a cherub in the spring as my friends getting a bit bored with it all and it might need a good home lol........and the budum bounced

#7 ·
Glad to hear its all going swimmingly nice to get alternatives to the conventional on this board at least

Gaz

#8 ·
I had the same Magnifica bean-to-cup machine and I never got a decent espresso out of it. I don't know if I was doing something wrong, or whether the machine was not set up properly initially, but the coffee came out weak and bitter. The idea of the machine is great (although I never liked all the silver-painted plastic) and I really wanted it to work, but for me it was a huge disappointment.

I sold it after a couple of weeks on eBay (getting almost as much as I paid for it new) and bought a Gaggia Classic instead.

So did you get great coffee out of it from the beginning, or did you have to play around with it a lot?

#10 ·
I had a little fiddle with the strength/grind settings but never a weak cup and sold the grinder to a coffee place back in London......didn't lose a penny and with the money from my la pavoni I seem to have made a profit lol....had the nicest and sweetest espresso from a Ethiopian bean the other day........the delonghi has really made a impact on my coffee drinking. I now buy 100g at a time as its around what the machine can hold and get to have maybe 3 changes a week. and the little dualit grinder is perfect for keeping on hand for decaf. I wish the cup warmer was bigger but its perfect for espresso cups. Not saying its the best in the world but its not given me a bad cup yet and considering I went through a lot of machines last year and some great training I'm still very happy
...(the steamer could be more powerful) but no plans to change.........yet

#11 ·
Thanks for the reply. I spoke to somebody at Happy Donkey and he suggested that the MC5 was not a sufficient step up from the MC2 that I was looking for. I went down the second hand route instead and bought a Cunill Tauro.

#12 ·
Happy donkey are quite good for info, and the Cunhill machines are made in the same factory just with different badges as the Iberital.....we get a lot come through the shop atm after testing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.