Jump to content

Jon
 Share

Recommended Posts

I want to go to 

 

A) see if I can taste what people say they taste, my taste buds might not be as sophisticated lol

B) guy some beans and ask how they are set up, temp, time, dose etc etc

C) reccomended beans for mocha  and the chocolate they use 😍

Edited by DavecUK
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My advice from where you are is to go get some beans from Salami and Co. in Otley.

Simon who works there is super nice, and they have a house blend from Casa Espresso that is super reliable and a good starting roast for a Gaggia. Not too dark and chocolatey is the usual tasting notes.

Could even fit that into a cycle catch up if you fancy?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, sjm85 said:

My advice from where you are is to go get some beans from Salami and Co. in Otley.

Simon who works there is super nice, and they have a house blend from Casa Espresso that is super reliable and a good starting roast for a Gaggia. Not too dark and chocolatey is the usual tasting notes.

Could even fit that into a cycle catch up if you fancy?

Sorry can't tell from picture is that LBT Mr Morris? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yup, it’s me.

I thought you were stalking me, but actually the case against me is pretty bad:

 joined same sports club

participate in same internet message board 

was present at the birth of your child

🙈

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, sjm85 said:

Yup, it’s me.

I thought you were stalking me, but actually the case against me is pretty bad:

 joined same sports club

participate in same internet message board 

was present at the birth of your child

🙈

 

This is hilarious! So amazing 🤣 I thought you would have forgotten about me. 

 

Bet you have a better coffee set up than me 😤 you are 3 seconds fast (was it 17.59 in the end) did you get another pb? 

 

Don't check out my thread in the barrista support section I'm not doing so well haha.

 

Hope you are really well, the miss' and I'd say the dog but it seems to hate everyone 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, sjm85 said:

a) Your options in Leeds at the moment are North Star, Laynes, La Botega.....think that's about it.

I think lack of students and no office workers means that everyone else it hunkered down until things ease a bit more.

b) what the hell are you doing on here?

I totally ignored B) as go buy a coffee its open, but now I know its you makes more sense 🤣🤣🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, Jez H said:

Mrs Athas.

Unfortunately I haven't had great experiences there. I went on 3 separate occasions, each time a few months apart and every time the coffee was horribly under extracted 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Fez said:

Unfortunately I haven't had great experiences there. I went on 3 separate occasions, each time a few months apart and every time the coffee was horribly under extracted 

Hard to say if the coffee is under extracted or not ( unless you measure it , your not Rob Ashton in disguise are you , old school jokes folks ) 

I agree with you their coffee does range to the very acidic side , on the times i have been there. 

Edited by Mrboots2u
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Mrboots2u said:

Hard to say if the coffee is under extracted or not ( unless you measure it , your not Rob Ashton in disguise are you , old school jokes folks ) 

I agree with you their coffee does range to the very acidic side , on the times i have been there. 

I’m surprised it’s my go to in Leeds.  Just shows how everybody has different tastes. I was not thrilled by Lanes but many rave about it 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Mrboots2u said:

Hard to say if the coffee is under extracted or not ( unless you measure it , your not Rob Ashton in disguise are you , old school jokes folks ) 

I agree with you their coffee does range to the very acidic side , on the times i have been there. 

Ok ok :)

the 3 coffees I've had there were extremely sour and acidic. They tasted under extracted to me :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

On the outskirts of horsforth, between Mc Donald's and the traffic lights there is an office space.

 

A little coffee shop called Red bean is there.

They have a business room I used, ordered my first non chain espresso, and a latte.

 

Wow so that's what espresso is meant to taste like. Was beautiful. It had tasting notes and everything. 

 

It is my first non chain espresso and looking forward to trying all these others. 😍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Just to add to the Laynes, Mrs Athas, La Botega list.... (all of which are flawless in my book)

Fika North on the top side of headingley is superb (using Casa Espresso) 

Salami and co in Otley make an exceptional Long black.

Kapow (Call Lane) do some good coffee although slightly bitter for my tastes) and slightly dependent on which Barista is in on the day. I like it because I can park out side for 30p and dash in on the way to the M1.....

Opposite in Chapel A used to be my 'go to' but they downgraded from premium beans to NorthStar, they remain passable, and they do guest beans on batch brew.

Broomfield Square in Otley is surprisingly good. not an out and out coffee venue but the guy in there seriously knows how to brew! One of the few places I have bought a second cup before the first cup went cold (Laynes being the other).

Stage espresso. Pretty good, but I would probably walk the extra 200m and go to la Botega.... nice for a change though. 

 

Lots of people love Northstar in Leeds Dock, but I find it a little 'ordinary'. The beans are mid range in price and I think that shows in the coffee (Confirmation Bias??)

Lots of other people like Wolfox or wolf fox?? near the station, but I have had some really over-extracted brews there and the Barista told me 'I must be mistaken' while I spooned in sugar to make it drinkable. I also heard the guy who runs it 'slamming' some of the other places on this list for using 'blends'. I didn't really appreciate his attitude. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Alexholt said:

Just to add to the Laynes, Mrs Athas, La Botega list.... (all of which are flawless in my book)

Fika North on the top side of headingley is superb (using Casa Espresso) 

Salami and co in Otley make an exceptional Long black.

Kapow (Call Lane) do some good coffee although slightly bitter for my tastes) and slightly dependent on which Barista is in on the day. I like it because I can park out side for 30p and dash in on the way to the M1.....

Opposite in Chapel A used to be my 'go to' but they downgraded from premium beans to NorthStar, they remain passable, and they do guest beans on batch brew.

Broomfield Square in Otley is surprisingly good. not an out and out coffee venue but the guy in there seriously knows how to brew! One of the few places I have bought a second cup before the first cup went cold (Laynes being the other).

Stage espresso. Pretty good, but I would probably walk the extra 200m and go to la Botega.... nice for a change though. 

 

Lots of people love Northstar in Leeds Dock, but I find it a little 'ordinary'. The beans are mid range in price and I think that shows in the coffee (Confirmation Bias??)

Lots of other people like Wolfox or wolf fox?? near the station, but I have had some really over-extracted brews there and the Barista told me 'I must be mistaken' while I spooned in sugar to make it drinkable. I also heard the guy who runs it 'slamming' some of the other places on this list for using 'blends'. I didn't really appreciate his attitude. 

Fika, this coffee brand seems to be popping up we have a new bike shop that does fika coffee in cookridge... plan to go Monday for bike maintenance and a coffeeeee

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tinkstar said:

Fika, this coffee brand seems to be popping up we have a new bike shop that does fika coffee in cookridge... plan to go Monday for bike maintenance and a coffeeeee

Fika isn't a brand. Fika North is independent. Lots off places use the name because it is a Swedish word meaning a kind of slow lazy break...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Alexholt said:

Fika isn't a brand. Fika North is independent. Lots off places use the name because it is a Swedish word meaning a kind of slow lazy break...

Ha, well thank you, genuinely thought it was one of those made it in London now in smaller cities kind of brands. 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So went to grand depart, new bike shop, owners seem lovely.

 

Coffee was extremely average / I frequently do better at home.

Was a nice touch though, bike in for a service and I got a free coffee so took the opportunity for an espresso. 

 

Was smooth, but all I could taste was bitter. 🤷‍♂️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Tinkstar I think we must be getting quite connoisseur now 😂 I got an espresso when I was out at a country park a couple of weeks ago (should have thought that one through). It was nasty, bitter and stale. Worse than my worst moka pot efforts. But somebody else paid so I felt I had to quaff it and go “mmmmmmm espresso”.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...